Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Penobscot's Newest: The Daily News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As this restaurant's opening was profiled in the Freep today, I thought I'd canvas DetroitYes posters: if you've stopped by, what do you think?

My experience: beautiful food, but usually cold when supposed to be hot.

Very elegant but dim space. Too difficult for this reader to read the daily news!

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree there are nice finishes in the place, but all the elements in the serving area - salad bar, hot foods and deli - seem smaller than the previous Epicurian Cafe setup. Entrees in the hot line were $7.50, just too "pricy" a lunch for me. Desserts are in a small display fridge. With one guy making $5 sandwiches - and 5 people in line ahead of me - I just didn't feel like waiting, and walked out.

I remember the old Colonnade Cafeteria originally here - and the Colonnade in the basement of 1001 Building, too. Lunch has evolved - and now flat-screen TVs are on the menu. Not sure this is a good thing.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 406
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I popped my head in here looking for a carry out today too! It definitely looks cleaner and less cluttered, but the previous room had a certain style to it.

I did not eat there found nothing worth the wait. I did notice it seemed a bit dim too. I suppose you're supposed to get the news off the plasma screens scattered about?

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Freep article availble online? could not find it...

Southwestmap

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mistake - it was on Model D Media website that I saw the article on Morning News Cafe: modeldmedia.com

Sorry that I misled readers.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I didn't even get the name right: MORNING NEWS.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Entrees in the hot line were $7.50, just too "pricy" a lunch for me.

Where do you find lunch in the CBD for less than $7.50?

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Jimmy John's (two locations in CBD) for a good sandwich less than $5 - and the 99 cent tacos on Tuesdays at Rio Wraps in the Dime Building are very good. Au Bon Pain has a good selection of soups and stews - add a hunk of bread for a good lunch just over $5. Leo's Downtown Coney Island in Comerica Park has a great chef's salad for less than $5. These are just a few of my usual choices, DRM.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $7.50, you get an entree and one side at Luxe Cuisine on Congress, for a bit less, you can get the three side dish plate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.