Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Golf courses on Detroit's grand estates « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s a bit of an oddity. I have read that there were numerous homes in the Detroit with actual golf courses on their property. Maybe these weren’t monster 7000 yards courses but still, a golf course on your own property? It sounds pretty sweet indeed. I know that there were small courses on the Lawrence Fisher estate, along with one being shared by his two brothers William and Alfred in rear of their attached Palmer Woods lot.

John Dodge had one at his “cottage” at Meadowbrook hall as well as one at his estate along Lakeshore Drive, which he never lived in. I think the Scripps mansion in Lake Orion may have had one as well.

Yet another neat oddity about the area….

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there one old fart in Utica that has 4 private holes next to the cemetary... just down from the slaughter house...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289, ha! I was going to mention that but you beat me to it. The slaughter house is gone, BTW.
golf

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, IIRC it was an actual cottage at Meadowbrook Farms. Meadowbrook Hall didn't exist by 1920 when brothers Horace and John Dodge both died. The Hall didn't appear until 8 years or so later after widow Matilda remarried Mr. Wilson.

Did the Dodge brothers die from that Influenza outbreak that started in 1919 and killed millions?

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did the Dodge brothers die from that Influenza outbreak that started in 1919 and killed millions?

From the Detroit News:

Both brothers died in the same year.

Ever inseparable, the brothers had gone to New York in January 1920, to attend an automobile show. While there Horace developed pneumonia. John sat at his bedside for four days and nights. Horace recovered but John took sick and died of pneumonia on January 14. Grieving, Horace went to his winter home in Palm Beach and died there 11 months later in December.

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=97&catego ry=locations

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of folks refered to the cottage as his whorehouse in a way. This is where John and the boys would go to let it all hang out. I guess he was turned down for a membership by some club in Bloomfield Hills so he built his own course.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.