Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Bozo Archives? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Banta156
Username: Banta156

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if there is such a thing as the Bozo television show archive? When we were little kids, I think we went to Canada for a taping of the show. I remember my parents getting us up early to watch the episode when it aired. It seemed early.

Most of the people I know had a similar experience, being on the Bozo show once upon a time or another. I think it was around 1973 when I was on.

Has anyone else been to a taping of the Bozo show? Share your memories please. What year? Where exactly did we go? Was it Channel 9?? What time did the show air? What was your favorite part of the experience?

Man, I would pay a pretty penny for a copy of that episode. Is there such a thing as an archive of Bozo shows?

Thanks!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the recent https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/86262.html :

quote:

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:51 pm:

Spacemonkey,
The Bozo shows don't exist. Art Cervi, Detroit's best Bozo (and, in my opinion, the best in the country), has a handful of shows on 2" Quad tape. That's all that exist. CKLW recycled the tapes until they wore out, then they were tossed.

Cartman_dude,
Nothing yet on my website on Bozo or Mr. Whoodini, but they will eventually be covered.

For the holidays I will be posting some amazing footage of Detroit's favorite TV Captain on a tour of Downtown Detroit's favorite department store.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to see Bozo around 1972-73 also. One of the things that stands out was taking the tunnel to Canada. I also recall getting there late and having to be separated from my two cousins in the seating area. I was wedged in near the top and had to deal with some Girl Scouts kicking me in the back throughout the show. To this day when a Girl Scout asks me if I want to buy some cookies I tell them to go to hell. I don't forget easy.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's original Bozo show aired on WWJ Channel 4 from 1959 to 1967. Bob McNea played Bozo.
CKLW Channel 9's Bozo show with Art Cervi ran from 1967 to 1975. Cervi moved the show to WJBK Channel 2, where it aired from 1975 to 1980.

Jerry Booth was CKLW's first choice for Bozo, and Booth actually portrayed the clown for about a month before Cervi took over the role.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Bozo show at some point, although I was very young (It had to be the Channel 9 show). My aunt still teases me because I had a HUGE crush on Bozo (yes, a clown). I had Bozo everything...doll, lunchbox, shirts. Fond memories and I don't think I missed a show.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While Quad is an obsolete format, can't GTN or Transfer Zone bump it over to another format?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, I am the only operation in the mid west that can transfer 2 inch quad tapes.
www.WalterMediaWorks.com

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won the treasure chest on the Bozo show. I was six years old. I had to pick up and hold all seven or so balloons in my hands/arms within 30 seconds. I did it.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my Bozo archives

tootsie

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for Mr. Golick:

I was talking to a friend of mine that had some experience working with Quad back in the day, and he told me something that was a bit disturbing about 2".

It seems that some of the manfacturers had a bit of a problem with their manfacturing process (namely the reels). 3M tape stock apparently had an issue with the adhesive "leeching" off of the foam backing on the sides of the reels and onto the tape, making them unplayable.

Have the reels been bumped over to another format yet, or do you know if they are still in good condition?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won a Nerf Football (lost out on a Spirograph).

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Map001, that is partially true but correctable.
The issue is called SSS (sticky shed syndrome). It is the result of the tape backing becoming hydrated. The backing actually forms a "goo" that clogs the tape guides. The cure is to bake the tape for an extended time. This drys out the backing and chemically alters the backing. It is usually playable for 2 weeks after baking. All tape with the "dull gritty black" backing is susceptible to this.
I have baked a few tapes with very good results.
The foam is not really part of this issue. I know of no foam related problems aside from the disintegration of it. That usually just falls off the tape as a dust.
The bigger issue is there are no longer many machines to play back the tapes on. ALL TV stations and dup houses were in a rush to dispose of the quad machines ASAP. They were a maintenance nightmare. The quality of the new 1" machines was "just as good" as 2 inch. And they were a lot cheaper. Most Quad machines are in landfills now.
Our machine was one of the last to be built having left the Ampex plant in 1975. Fortunately there is still a company that rebuilds the video heads. ($2,500)
There is still a huge library of 2 inch tape awaitng transfer, but very little money for it.

(Message edited by PSIP on November 22, 2006)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art Cervi today. (from http://www.cyberactivesites.com/radioreunion/Reunion-1998/radioreunion98.html)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mcp001,
Art still has the Quad tapes and hasn't had them transfered yet. Don't know what condition they are in.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh...Bozo the clown. I thought the thread title referred to the Detroit City Clowncil. My bad!

/zing

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.