Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - November 21 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6013
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J. , now that Fnemececk's done stealing my thunder :-)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry about Fnemececk. His pic sucked!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4490
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, great shots. What's ARMCO carrying and where she going?

jjaba. Thanks.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shot. Makes me realise how much I miss the Great Lakes Marine Institutes webcam at Dossins.....

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

She's carrying post holes for China.

Naw, actually 90% of the "Lakers" are bulk carriers, so it could be iron ore, limestone or coal destined for a down river or Lake Erie steel mill, bulk terminal or innumerable "stone" piles along the waterfront.

Speaking of boats, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting your nemesis and sparring partner "The Rock" a few months ago at a boat geek banquet.

He’s quite the storied gentleman who filled in the many "mysteries" of Jjiba's chronological blank spaces.

I assure you, the secrets will follow me to my watery grave before I divulge them.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4493
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor rick, glad you met The Rock up close. He's a certified Detroit Landmark, eh.

With 4491 posts, glad jjaba still has some secrets. You break the secret code and jjaba dispatches his Chasidic minions on ya.

Thanks for answering my question about boats.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 933
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"She has now been renamed....etc, etc..."

Howcum it's a she? I maintain a ship is an it, not a she.

Aiw

Post Number: 6015
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ships are always a She.

Sailor_rick

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936,

Ah, but who shelters us (ex) sailors from the stormy seas in her warm metal womb but the mothership?

Who unconditionally accepts us as we are not as we should be?

Certainly not an "it".

How could we vow loyalty to a bucket of cold bolts, burning ourselves on(its)boilers?

Didn't you name your police bikes? (Other than Mother*&&(!% when it kicked back.)

Belated happy birthday too. I belive we share the same date 10/20 and a very significant year, 70/50.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A crusty old Great Lakes freighter captain once was asked why ships were referred to as "she" and his reply was "Ever try to steer one?" That would not go over very well today.
sailor_rick-----we are not "geeks"---we are marine historians. Sounds more Grosse Pointish.
And jjaba's exploits on the west side rival even the yarns still spun regarding such Great Lakes mysteries as the last two ships sunk in the Storm of 1913 but still not yet located, and the loss of the Maatafa.

Sailor_rick

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha-ha, true. "Boat geek" was not meant in a derogatory manner, just attempting some modern "with it" lingo and shall be forever more reserved for points west .

Ray1936

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, same birth date, Sailor_Rick...But bear in mind I never was a sailor. Hell, I live in the desert, and it's just fine with me.

It was 1958. I was on my honeymoon. We took the SS Milwaukee Clipper from Muskegon to Milwaukee. I got seasick. From that time on, I subscribed to the philosophy that "boats suck". And all "ships" are just "boats" as far as I'm concerned, and they are buckets of cold rivets and just an "it".

You're right about the term of endearment for the old kick-start Harleys. Jesus, they were tough on a cold morning.

And, hey! Happy Birthday right back! All good people were born in October........:-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday to both of you, sailor and desert surfer.

At 70, can old newsboys still fling 'em to the exact spot on the porch from the sidewalk on the fly? jjaba is 5 yrs. behind you.

jjaba, What goes down on the Westside, stays on the Westside.

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 935
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I could still nail a porch with a paper, Jjaba. I can still fold 'em too, a talent which has helped me on the poker tables out here......knowing when to fold 'em.....
:-)

The_rock

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well as long as we are talking tossing newspapers, this writer is willing to challenge our friends in Nevada and on the west side to a contest as to who is more accurate from sidewalk to front porch.
The REAL newsboys were those who delivered the Detroit Shopping News. Twice a week,Wednesdays and Saturdays rain or shine, we delivered so that Detroiters and suburbanites alike knew where and when the best bargains were in the Motor City.
Unhearalded and undaunted, we went about our business for the good of the consumer.
Ned's Auto Supply, Good Housekeeping Shops, Bond's Clothes,T.B.Rayls,Sam's Cut Rate- they all displayed their ads in the DSN along with the big guys.
And we folded 'em and delivered 'em all for a buck. Yes, $2.00 a week--where was minimum wage when we needed it?

Sailor_rick

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Newsprint Batman!

I also used to deliver the Detroit Shopping News in Birmingham (Pembroke Manor was my turf.) By the early 70's delivery was once a week. I think I was paid about eight bucks per.

Yeah, in the newsboy hierarchy we were the bottom rung.
Plenty of flyers to insert, never a Christmas tip-just barking dogs & scowling housewives.

A tip of the cap to us valiant young foot soldiers of consumerism.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Jjba & Ray.

I just got hitched last week in Las Vegas (my first-this is my fifth year as a landlubber and no half Korean,Thai,Jamaican,Alpenean, Columbian, etc kids has shown up on my doorstep, yet so... )-a very significant year indeed!

The_rock

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations s-rick!! Isn't Mrs. Rick a physician? If the Greater Detroit was still operating, you could have booked the honeymoon suite.
Glad to know you were a DSN carrier. My route was in the late 40's,also in B'ham. West of Chesterfield, North of Maple(Quarton school area). --trying to balance 110 papers in an old canvas bag on the handlebars of my Schwinn Phantom--weighed a ton.

Ray1936

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, The_rock was one of those uppity guys with a Schwinn, huh? I had to do with a Ward's Hawthorne, which was bicycle's equivalent to the Edsel.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4497
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, listen to the Shopping News guys, so regular twice a lousy week.

The Detroit Times in the 1950s was daily and Sunday. We delivered our routes rain, shine, snow or sleet. We were as regular as the Twin Pines Milkmen and the Mail Men. We were a damn site better than a Sears delivery truck, I can tell ya that, Lowell ofcourse excluded. And as for being on time, we beat the buses all to hell and gone.

We owned the jjaba family route for 8 years, two brothers. jjaba was the oldest. We delivered Northlawn and nearby streets from Schoolcraft to the DTRR RR tracks to the North.

jjaba, Westside Proud Old Newsboy.

For extra money, jjaba also sold Bull Dogs on Sat. night at Sears Oakman and canvassed for new customers with Ray1936 in a new place called Livonia Sat. mornings.

The_rock

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Ray, that Schwinn had it all--front shock absorber, hand brakes, built in front head light, built in horn, mud flaps,white walls, saddle bags over the rear fender luggage rack,,extra thick seat ( a/k/a a "saddle" in Schwinn catalogue).Original cost was $99 at Scarlett's Bike Shop in Pontiac, and same price at Baugh's Bike Shop in B'ham No discounts allowed by Schwinn back then.
If I still owned it today, it would be worth more than my '95 Monte Carlo.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pix of my favorite town

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ustbeamensch/

Jjaba

Post Number: 4500
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots, Mensch. Thanks.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! 4500 posts by jjaba. 4500. You are amazing.Congratulations, While Joey was burning the Lions with three td passes, our favorite westsider in residence was reaching another milestone. We look foreward to 4500 more.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4503
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. In memory of your Shopping News Days,

TOP 10 PLACES TO FIND YOUR SHOPPING NEWS ON THE ROCK'S ROUTE.

10. Street in front of house, run over by Sears truck.
9. A bundle left at the party store.
8. Bushes.
7. On top of porch awning.
6. Roof of your house, getting soaked.
5. Gutter delivery.
4. Two on porch next door.
3. Driveway so your kid rides over it with trike.
2. Your kids playing catch with it.
1. A six drop. Kids juggling them like bowling pins.

The above are true recollections of Shopping News deliveries. You might have others.

jjaba, Retired Detroit Times Newsboy, who "doored" the papers on a wet day. (No plastic wrap back then.)

Sailor_rick

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock,
Yeah, the Mrs. Rick is a Doc at DMC, so we're both thankful that debacle has concluded, since she had one year of fellowship remaining.

It reminded me of a good-old fashioned Motor-City labor dispute. I've never picketed with a bunch of Dr's before.

Plenty of first-aid on hand if things got rough, which of course they didn't.

No need for a bicycle for my delivery since my route was mostly close packed, post-war bungalows.

I did save up enough from it to buy a big brown Schwinn "Suburban" three-speed from the Birmingham Bike Shop on Maple.
Although the other kids had sleek ten-speeds or cool home made "choppers", I deemed the three- speed more "practical"-jeez, what a dork!

I imagine those ballon tires saved you from "wiping out" on Willit's Hill.

Maybe there's a on-line "Paper Boy" video game you and Jjaba can settle your dispute on.
Loser relegated to a cyber-dog bite.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you old timers were riding Pee Wee Herman's bike.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ships are always a She."

I saw some references to German U Boots as he, him, or his. Maybe, they were faulty translations...

Aiw

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But is a sub a ship?

:-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sub is long and narrow and discharges some long narrow things into nautical females.

Ray1936

Post Number: 940
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A three speed Schwinn? Sheesh. My Hawthorne had three speeds too: Forward, Stop, and Fall Over. The Fall Over speed was a disaster when the handlebars were holding that canvas bag of 65 newspapers.

Jjaba's list of where to find your shopping news is right on. (Uh...been there, done that.) And congrats on No. 4500.

Feeling miserable is getting to the end of a 65 customer route to discover you only had 62 papers.

The_rock

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, but its hard to keep up with all you guys. And to think it all started with AIW's picture of the ARMCO which I remember when she first came out and was a sister ship of the RESERVE. Both looked much neater before they had those UGLY self-unlading booms placed on their straight decks.
Sorry 36,(KQA 414), but the kids in Bham were silver spoon youth and thus did not have Hawthornes or even too many J.C. Higgins. One of my fraternity brothers at AA was from Taylor and told me that in his Taylor neighborhood if a kid came down the block riding one of those fancy-pants Schwinn Phantoms, they would run out into the street and throw a board in the spokes.
Jjaba- You are original, that's for sure. IF you really took a poll to see where most of the Detroit Shopping News ended up, try the open field at Lincoln and Cranbrook, the current site of Seaholm ( a/k/a B'ham ) high school. There were more DSN found there in the tall fields than condoms, rabbits or skunks. That location was the former "home" of the original Birmingham Municipal dump, and that goes back to the late 30's. Lots or old rusty tin cans and lots of Shopping News.
sailor-r. Your Schwinn was purchased on Maple, but the original home of the Schwinn was Baugh's Bike Shop on South Woodward next to the (then) Bloomfield Theatre. A beautiful art deco theatre. I know that Baugh's eventually closed and they either moved to Maple or changed their name to B'ham Bike and went there.

Ray1936

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we owe Andrew an apology for really hijacking his thread and excellent photo.

That said, Jjaba, I notice on Atlas that the entire block on the south side of Grand River between Washburn and Wyoming has been razed. But just west of Washburn, it looks like the building that housed Jerry's Bike Shop is still standing. Bought a lot of inner-tube hot patches there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4505
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, that sounds like my Chinese Restuarant with the surly waiters is gone.

Sorry Andrew for the threadjacking. but with 943 quality posts from Ray1936. 1429 from The Rock and 4500 from jjaba, we deserve ein bissella discussions of newspapers, bicycles, and wannabe newsboys masquerading with the Shopping News.

jjaba never knew Shopping News landed in the city dump. We used them to wrap fish. Now we know why we always had bundles of them for Fishman's Waste Paper lot on Grand River.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4506
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top Ten Uses for the Detroit Shopping News.

10. At the outhouse up North.
9. Extra starch in a pizza.
8. Confetti at homecoming.
7. Filler in a box of salami for your boy in the Army.
6. Natural additive in the juicer.
5. Great for walking on after you wash the kitchen floors.
4. Absorb blood at the butcher's.
3. Homemade kites.
2. Newspaper hats.
1. Extra stuffing in your camping pillow.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW---Looking again at your fine bow shot of the ARMCO makes me think that now I recall when and where and with whom you were when that photo was taken.
Let that be a lesson to he that knocks the Rock AND the Detroit Shopping News in the SAME post
may never have the opportunity of that majestic view from the port side of the WINSOME.
But we won't mention names.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.