Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Spy Shop!!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey All,
Is everyone aware that there is an awesome new business opening this Saturday in Midtown, owned by a Detroiter, filled with art by Detroiters......
Here is some additional info. It was also featured in today's Model D. More people in this city need to do stuff like this to make it GREAT!

SPY Grand Opening
New Store Opening in Midtown Detroit
Grand Opening Gala: Saturday, November 25, 2006 7pm – Midnight

"Design In All Forms, Created With Our Bare Hands."

SPY brings together one-of-a kind works by over 20 Detroit-based designers, fine artists, and musicians. SPY offers a wide selection of items – from garment and textile collections to jewelry, ceramics, as well as furniture and gift items. Designers represented by SPY include Bethany Shorb (Cyberopitx), Lauren Joy Casteel, Sarah Vidosh, Jef Hancock, and many others. SPY will also carry media from acclaimed record labels such as Interdimensional Transmissions, Low Res and Submerge. The store will serve as a community gathering location, with SPY presenting monthly openings and other events. All work is for sale.

SPY aims to promote, sell and distribute handcradfted, original design in all forms. Located in a historic Detroit home, the design house of SPY will feature the works of Detroit and international designers, combining our individual talents and resources. Through the constant exchange of assets and ideas, SPY will inspire new creative relationships and endeavors in order to develop commerce among the independently owned businesses in our community.

• Location: 4470 2nd Avenue (2nd Ave & Prentis St.) Detroit, MI 48021 (313)833.6623
• General Store Hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 11am – 8pm

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have nice graphic design. There is more info in this thread that got moved to the classified section for some reason:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/65504/87590.html?1164042 620

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my sister's and my company is going to be represented. look at our soap and other products!!! (city bird)

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i know sarah-- spy's proprietor. she is really nice and really talented. i'm excited to shop at spy!

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a question that i think would be appropriate on this thread...

does anyone remember back when made in detroit had their store in greektown, they sold items that were hand made, and either had a detroit theme to them or were just created by detroit artists? specifically, does anyone remember the vinyl purses that had images of the the joe louis fist or the ambassador bridge embroidered on them? anyone have any idea who made those, where i can get them...or perhaps, if that might be something sold at this new boutique?

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i do valkyrias-- hold on, let me remember the name... i have a bunch of those purses! i may have to tell you tomorrow-- i can go home and dig out those bags tonight. i know the girl who made them had a website.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rock on! thanks!!

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on the Spy shop in today's issue of Real Detroit...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I was a little hasty at sidetracking the below post by Toybreaker into the Classifieds. At first glance it appeared to be pure advertising, but in retrospect I have learned otherwise and now see that it is a positive and Detroit relevant event. I wish them the best and it is returned here with apologies.
============================== =====

Hey all, just wanted to make you aware of a grand-opening party that features the work of Detroit artists and designers in a new Detroit shop. I am not the proprietor, but I will have work there - Cyberopitx TieLab is my other alter-ego. I can attest the folks at Spy have been working hard to make this happen for the community in time for the holiday season. There will also be a feature about the store and its local designers on this Wednesday's cover of Real Detroit.

There seems to be some exciting things going on art-wise lately.

SPY Grand Opening
New Store Opening in Midtown Detroit
Grand Opening Gala: Saturday, November 25, 2006 7pm – Midnight

"Design In All Forms, Created With Our Bare Hands."

SPY brings together one-of-a kind works by over 20 Detroit-based designers, fine artists, and musicians. SPY offers a wide selection of items – from garment and textile collections to jewelry, ceramics, as well as furniture and gift items. Designers represented by SPY include Bethany Shorb (Cyberopitx), Lauren Joy Casteel, Sarah Vidosh, Jef Hancock, and many others. SPY will also carry media from acclaimed record labels such as Interdimensional Transmissions, Low Res and Submerge. The store will serve as a community gathering location, with SPY presenting monthly openings and other events. All work is for sale.

SPY aims to promote, sell and distribute handcradfted, original design in all forms. Located in a historic Detroit home, the design house of SPY will feature the works of Detroit and international designers, combining our individual talents and resources. Through the constant exchange of assets and ideas, SPY will inspire new creative relationships and endeavors in order to develop commerce among the independently owned businesses in our community.

• Location: 4470 2nd Avenue (2nd Ave & Prentis St.) Detroit, MI 48021 (313)833.6623
• General Store Hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 11am – 8pm

Spy grand opening

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

valkyrias- the purses were/are made by kel mitre.

www.kelmitre.com

i actually wrote her a note awhile ago, telling her great i though her bags were-- that they were sophisticated, but also sneakily subversive, which i loved. she wrote me back the nicest note-- i was very impressed by that. made me even happier to have supported her work.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spy
Right next to the Bronx, former digs of Zoot's Coffeehouse.

Toybreaker
Username: Toybreaker

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the owner of Spy can get in touch with Kel to have her bags in the shop if she likes, they are really excellent! I know she's looking for more people to participate. :-)

And thank you Lowell! Apologies certainly accepted...

(Message edited by toybreaker on November 23, 2006)

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh so cool. That's what happened to the beautiful house formerly housing the Flying Dutchman and this obscure little bookstore in the basement. Gotta check it out soon.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 376
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks again lakesuperior!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i miss zoot's.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. I thought this was going to be a thread about Spy Shack and Spy King, two spy stores located right next to each other off Southfield south of 696.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know this was coming, but I'm extremely happy about this. It's about time for Midtown to get such an addition.

Also, everything that Bethany Shorb and Interdimensional Transmissions makes is amazing.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to check this out. does this store have any relation to the pre detroit design lab? or is this a separate venture?

Lakesuperior

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's a separate venture.

and you're welcome valkyrias!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool, thanks. I wonder if they'd be interested in selling some lights...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.