Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Andrea Isom from FOX2 driving drunk & wrong way « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on Sthfld Freeway
-----------

Channel 2 reporter Isom in DUI incident
By JOHN SMYNTEK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

November 21, 2006

WJBK-TV (Fox, Channel 2) news reporter Andrea Isom was in hot water Tuesday morning after having been stopped by Michigan State Police on a Detroit stretch of the Southfield Freeway allegedly driving the wrong way Monday night.

She reportedly blew a .18 in a roadside sobriety test; the Michigan standard for driving under the influence is .08.

Channel 2 GM Jeff Murri said he could not comment on Isom’s situation, citing company personnel policy. Isom did not immediately respond to a phone message.

Isom began working at WJBK in April 2004. She previous toiled for stations in Kansas City, Dayton, Ohio, and Elmira, N.Y.

She is a Cleveland native and an Ohio State University grad, according to her station biography.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF. I'm sure in one stupid incident or another, at some point in my life, I've driven around .18. How can you get on the freeway the wrong way?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong way?!? Are we sure it means going the opposite direction from traffic, or did she say she was trying to get to Southfield and was driving towards Detroit?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she was driving the opposite way on the freeway...now i wonder will Fox 2 report on this tonight on the news cause you know for dayum sure 4 & 7 will

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it was a slow news night and she needed to create something to report on!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, thats a career ender in the TV biz.
I feel sorry for her.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's no Bill Bonds.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 754
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"thats a career ender in the TV biz."

Bill Bonds had a few more incidents of drunk driving than that before 7 canned him. But then, Andrea Isom is no Bill Bonds. And tolerance for that behavior might be lower across the board these days.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1120

I feel sorrier for the people who were driving the correct way on that highway, that she could have killed.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's no Frank Turner....

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly what happened in Virginia....

"2 killed on I-64 in York County after pickup went wrong way

Two people were killed early Monday when a pickup truck headed the wrong way on Interstate 64 in York County slammed into a van, the Virginia State Police reported.

Killed were Dameon Lavell Wiggins, 27, of Virginia Beach, who was driving on the correct side of the highway, and Terry R. Apperson, 42, of Richmond, who was driving the pickup truck.

A passenger in the van was being treated for injuries not considered life-threatening.

The pickup, headed east in the westbound lanes, struck the van at about 3 a.m., said Sgt. D.S. Carr of the State Police. Police closed the highway and diverted traffic around the crash scene.

The vehicle was believed to have driven roughly 10 miles the wrong way before crashing near Camp Peary, Carr said."

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to go out of state for an example as that's exactly what has happened twice this month on I-96...

I-96 scene of another deadly wrong-way crash
November 13, 2006 (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061113/NEW S99/61113002/1003/NEWS)

Driver going wrong way on I-96 in Detroit causes fatal accident November 3, 2006 (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061103/U PDATE/611030424)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A single drunk-driving incident might be forgivable on its own, but driving the wrong way on a freeway is extremely serious, and at that point I have no problem with it being career-ending.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're stupid enough to get so plowed you drive the wrong way on a freeway, you lose the privilege of having people feel for sorry for you or your career.At the very least.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does it seem like people on the news ALWAYS seem to get into some mess?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with people going the wrong way on the freeway lately?! Is it the new cool thing?

Luckily nobody was hurt.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of a film I once saw...

http://www.adrianspeyer.com/pl anes15.mp3

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's because she's from Ohio and an OSU grad.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...now i wonder will Fox 2 report on this tonight on the news cause you know for dayum sure 4 & 7 will

They did report it on Fox2 just now but didn't reveal any details, just that it happened.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are people saying this is a career-ender? If you were to drive drunk the wrong way on the freeway, would your boss fire you? Perhaps if you were doing it on company time. I guess it's because she's a public figure and an example needs to be made. Driving the wrong way on the x-way isn't uncommon at all. Drunk drivers will do it, as well as some senior citizens. A co-worker of mine had a relative killed the same way. He was exiting the freeway and a drunk driver entered the exit ramp.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad sad incident. Regardless if she's a public figure or not, she seemed like a very young woman with a promising career ahead of her. And now that might be in jeopardy. Thank God she didn't hurt anyone or herself.

Yvette248

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think she should be fired for this. That's stupid.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's toast in this market. WKBD doesn't need the slightest bit of bad pub and she's easily replaceable.

She'll probably be working in another market within a month or two. Since she's an OSU grad and with their penchant to get blitzed maybe she'd be a perfect match down there.

Of all the people to feel sorry for I certainly don't feel sorry for someone who blows a .18 and drives into on coming traffic. Thank God she didn't kill someone.

Psip

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ JBK not KBD

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...she's an OSU grad and with their penchant to get blitzed..."

What, you don't think that there are also plenty of University of Michigan students and grads that have a "penchant to get blitzed"?

That kind of ridiculous, biased statement is annoying. There's nothing wrong with OSU; it's a good school with a pretty campus (and no, I didn't attend college there).

All that "rah-rah, Michigan" stuff gets old (and half of the most zealous cheerleading comes from people who didn't even attend U of M themselves... they've got some misguided notions about "state pride").

(Message edited by Fury13 on November 22, 2006)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just a joke since she's a OSU grad and there was a lot of talk over the weekend about the problems down there in relationship to the game.

Go take a nap grumpy or get a sense of humor.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 977
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't think she should be fired for this. That's stupid."

Are you kidding? This is a PR nightmare for fox 2...this women is the one who is stupid. Thank god she did not kill anyone.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never underestimate the danger of drunk driving, anywhere at any time. In a similar incident less than 2 weeks ago, a drunk driver going the wrong way on I-25 killed 5 people. 2-3 years ago, a similar incident on I-40 killed 4 or 5 people and the driver is now doing 10-20 years. The problem has gotten so bad here in NM, that many governmental units and private employers with public personas have adopted policies that employees convicted of DWI lose their jobs.

-----

"Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Officials Examine Driver's Evening

By Kate Willson
Albuquerque Journal Staff Writer

Gov. Bill Richardson reacted to New Mexico's latest drunken-driving tragedy by announcing Tuesday a series of anti-DWI initiatives.
"I'm frustrated and angry, and I do not accept the attitude that we have done enough on DWI," Richardson said in response to the deaths of five members of a Las Vegas, N.M., family in a head-on collision Saturday evening just east of Santa Fe.
The governor also expressed concern about accounts by fellow airline passengers that Dana Papst, 44, of Tesuque was obviously intoxicated and drinking during a flight he took into Albuquerque hours before he drove the wrong way on Interstate 25 and plowed his pickup truck into a van carrying the family.

"I want to know why local law enforcement was not notified about a suspected drunk passenger who was flown to Albuquerque and was allowed to climb behind a wheel of a vehicle, threatening the safety of hundreds of drivers between the Sunport and Santa Fe," Richardson said in a news release.
"I think the airlines share some responsibility to the citizens of all of their destination cities to be vigilant for drunken passengers."
Papst, who had a blood-alcohol content four times the legal driving limit, died shortly after the crash in an Albuquerque hospital. Records show he had five previous DWI arrests in Colorado and at least three convictions.
County and state investigators are still trying to determine if Papst continued to drink and how he obtained alcohol in the time between when his US Airways flight landed in Albuquerque about 5:30 p.m. and the collision occurred about 8 p.m.
An open container of Bud Light was found in his vehicle after the crash.
Meanwhile, Arissa Garcia, the sole survivor of the crash, returned home Tuesday from St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe.
She sustained a broken left arm, fractured hip and bruises to her head and chest in the crash that claimed the lives of her mother, stepfather and three sisters.
A sophomore at West Las Vegas High School, Arissa received a warm greeting from fellow students who lined the roadway as she was driven into town.
Richardson's office said he spoke with Arissa and her grandfather Tuesday and agreed to meet with them in the future.

Teen remembered
Tuesday night, senior classmates of Arissa's sister— 17-year-old Alicia Garcia, who died in the crash— held a candlelight vigil at the high school gym.
Personnel at the Santa Fe Opera, where Papst worked as the computer network administrator, have declined comment since he was identified as the driver in the DWI crash. Opera director Richard Geddes has not returned phone calls seeking comment.
Opera Resource Director Liz Kellogg said Tuesday employees came up with a short statement in lieu of individual employees discussing Papst with reporters.
"Dana was highly regarded by his colleagues," the statement read. "He was dedicated and loyal, had a terrific attitude and great sense of humor. We are all deeply saddened by the loss of both Mr. Papst and the members of the Gonzales family."
Kellogg would not comment on whether the opera had been aware of Papst's history of drunken driving.

Airline rules
Richardson said he has instructed state Public Safety secretary John Denko to contact federal Transportation Security Administration officials about reports that Papst was already drunk when he landed in Albuquerque.
Under federal aviation regulations, flight attendants cannot serve alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person.
US Airways spokesperson Valerie Wonder said Tuesday that airline policy does not limit the number of alcoholic drinks a passenger may buy.
The only limitations regard not serving alcohol while the plane is on the ground— at least not to those in coach class— and not serving to people who are visibly intoxicated.
But, Wonder said, each flight attendant must judge whether a passenger has had enough alcohol.
"It's a matter of good judgment," she said. "It's the same as if you were in a bar. We have a policy of exercising good judgment."
Two New Mexico passengers who sat near Papst told the Journal Monday they didn't fault an attendant for serving him two travel-sized bottles of Jack Daniels, since he was not rambunctious, only talkative.
They did fault the airline for not holding onto him once it became apparent how intoxicated he was.
At one point, Papst got up and tried to leave the plane in mid-flight after the pilot announced the flight was 75 miles away from Albuquerque.

Where he drank
Santa Fe County Sheriff Greg Solano, who previously indicated he didn't intend to investigate how or where Papst drank enough to reach a blood-alcohol content of 0.32 percent, said Tuesday he has assigned a team of investigators to determine where Papst got his alcohol, how much he drank and where he consumed it.
The state Department of Public Safety's Special Investigation Unit is trying to determine the same thing.
Rachel O'Connor, Richardson's DWI czar, said the team is sent out after DWI fatalities to track down establishments or servers who sold alcohol to the driver. The unit also is charged with investigating illegal alcohol sales to minors and intoxicated persons.
DPS spokesman Peter Olson said the special investigation unit would interview potential witnesses and go through Papst's credit and debit card purchases to try and find out where he purchased alcohol in the hours leading up to the crash.
Solano said his county investigators plan to talk to the two Bloomfield women who said they sat near Papst on the US Airways flight from Phoenix to Albuquerque.
"It's nothing we can prosecute, but we'll add the statements to the report," he said. "We haven't gotten anything further, but we have a lead on another possible witness."
Solano said his detectives have leads on people who might have witnessed Papst drinking both during an earlier flight from Reno to Phoenix and between the time his flight landed in Albuquerque and the crash on I-25.

Wrong way
The sheriff also said investigators have formed three theories about how Papst came to be heading south on I-25's northbound lanes Saturday night, "although we may never know":

Papst took a very out-of-the-way route home, driving east from Albuquerque on Interstate 40 to U.S. 285 at Clines Corners, then north to I-25 toward his Tesuque home, and that he mistakenly took an "off ramp" the wrong way onto the northbound lanes at Eldorado southeast of Santa Fe.

Papst drove north on I-25 to Santa Fe, overshot his exit at St. Francis and made a U-turn to head back in the wrong lane.

Papst gave someone a ride to the Pecos area, then somehow drove onto the wrong side of the freeway heading back to Santa Fe.
Solano said preliminary estimates show Papst hit another vehicle within a mile of the fatal collision.
He said the driver of that vehicle told an investigator the truck appeared to come out of trees on the interstate median.
In the fatal crash, Solano estimated, both vehicles were going about 75 miles an hour— equal to a single vehicle smashing into a brick wall at 150 mph.
Solano said Papst and all six passengers in the van were wearing seat belts and the air bags in both vehicles deployed.
Paul Gonzales, Renee Collins Gonzales, Jacqueline Gonzales, Selena Gonzales and Alicia Garcia were pronounced dead at the scene. The family was headed home after a soccer tournament in Bernalillo.
A second memorial assembly for the family has been planned for 8:15 this morning at Robertson High School's Michael Marr Gymnasium. School officials said the public was welcome.
"It's good to see people coming together," said West Las Vegas High School Principal Gene Parson. He said numerous people have come forward wanting to know how they can help Arissa and the rest of her family.
Several entities have set up accounts to help Arissa and her family. But a family spokeswoman said Tuesday that the family wants all donations to go to an account set up at Wells Fargo Bank called the Gonzales-Collins Family Fund."

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you kidding? This is a PR nightmare for fox 2...this women is the one who is stupid. Thank god she did not kill anyone.

I think the cops should have let her go if it turned into a chase.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Never underestimate the danger of drunk driving, anywhere at any time.

That was also going to be my point, now however I think sometimes the judges and MADD go a little over board on 1st offenses and severities. Lately it appears all traffic violations have been sacrifices for the DUI and Seat Beats. A reckless no drunk driver can do just as much damages at times as well. We all deserve to be safe.

Yvette248

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drunk driving is a criminal offense, not an employment related one. Firing everyone who has EVER drove after drinking would send unemployment numbers through the roof.

Eastside

Post Number: 978
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think the cops should have let her go if it turned into a chase."

Per department policy, Detroit Police did just that...when a fleeing suspect attempted to drive the wrong way on I-96. More people may have been killed otherwise.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just spoke to an attorney friend about handling a case in Oakland County and he said it would be better if it were drugs rather than alcohol. He said clients are getting 30 days in jail for first offenses.

Eastside

Post Number: 979
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Firing everyone who has EVER drove after drinking would send unemployment numbers through the roof."

...but of course, not everyone has a personal conduct clause in their employment contract.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a talk show host locally that was a Highway Patrolman in Washington. He mentioned that all of the headons from drunks driving the wrong way on the freeway were in the fast lane. Never saw one in the slow or middle lane if there were that many lanes.

He thought the drunk was getting into the slow lane, at least in their addled mind they thought they were,shoulder to their right,(actually the center median) other lanes to the left, everything's ok.

Moral, don't drive the fast lane at night.

Listened to another radio program this am, had the CHP there and the host got hosed, he blew a .22 and was absolutely wasted. Could barely speak or stand up.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Albequerque article:

quote:

In the fatal crash, Solano estimated, both vehicles were going about 75 miles an hour— equal to a single vehicle smashing into a brick wall at 150 mph.

Actually, it's equivalent to smashing into a brick wall at 75 mph, assuming the two vehicles are roughly the same weight. It would be equivalent to smashing into a parked vehicle at 150 mph, though.

In any case, smashing into a brick wall at 75 mph is usually fatal, even if you are wearing a seat belt and the air bags deploy.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10899
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...wondering how many jackasses will be out for amateur night doing the same damn thing tonight. I'll be walking thank you very much.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like her with her hair short. http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?con tentId=1079887&version=4&local e=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId =5.3.1

What will happen to poor Dexter now?

Psip

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea did a story on the event tonight. Someone posted it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =uixpXlivGdQ

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We journalists are notorious boozers. There's a reason "alcoholic" is the Associated Press Stylebook, after all. Go into the Anchor Bar and stare at the wall of Journalists of Years Past. That's not to say I condone drunken driving, of course.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As crazy as it sounds to enter the freeway the wrong way, I think its easier to get confused at night when you are used to navigating during the day. Combined with a sturdy buzz, I can see how some people might do this.

Scary as hell though. Can you imagine seeing some drunk ass in a huge SUV barreling down on you coming the wrong way on 96 or Southfield ? Assuming each party is travelling at the speed limit (ha) thats like running into a brick wall at 130 mile per hour !!

Geeez - get a damn MetroCar or something, newslady.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.