Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Pewabic Pottery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you guys think of Pewabic Pottery? Everytime I visit Detroit I am always amazed with the Pewabic tiles I see in buildings or for sale.

Was just wondering if you guys find them special or anything?
Last time I was in Detroit I wanted to go to the Pewabic Tiles museum and workshop. But the front desk lady at the hotel had no idea what I was talking about, so we ended up not having enough time to find out where to go(I know its on Jefferson, but we had no car). She did not know Detroit had a famous Tile place. So I was just wondering if it really was that famous like I thought.

Anyway was just wondering your guys views on Pewabic.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love their work. We have a couple of their tile cats and, I think, one or two Christmas ornaments. Next time you're downtown, go into the Guardian Bldg and look at the lobby ceiling.

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the details for your next Detroit visit...

http://www.pewabic.com

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3123
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 3 tiles in my house, and love em!

Also, the Pewabic Tiles in the Guardian Building are on the outside of the building. Those in the entrance lobby are Cincinnati's Rookwood tiles. Rookwood was the other leading pottery in the midwest. But they went out of business long ago. They too are highly sought after.

The People Mover have several stations with Pewabic Tiles. IIRC, the Cadillac Center Station (with the green arches) has old historic tiles that Stroh's commissioned and was going to install somewhere, but never did. So they were donated by the Stroh family. (Is this correct?)

Lowell should get PEWABIC added to the spell checker!!

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of buildings at Michigan State University, including the student union, that contain Pewabic tiles.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have some of their collectible tiles as well, and have given some of their products as gifts. My parent's home recently had a Pewabic tile address marker added. With Pewabic featured throughout two of the schools I went to and in many local homes, I have grown to love it and I believe it is one of those things that really 'localizes' significant architecture in/near Detroit.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing you should remember in collecting Pewabic Pottery tiles, pots, etc., is that the present day Pewabic does not possess the formula for Mary Charse Perry Stratton's original Pewabic irridescent glazes. Hence, original Pewabic items have more value than contemporary ones.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She did not know Detroit had a famous Tile place. So I was just wondering if it really was that famous like I thought

It is famous among people that like art and architecture. Among other people, not so much.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently redid my kitchen. Pewabic made some tiles to order to incorporate into the wall behind the counters. It was really exciting to be able to include some Pewabic in the backsplash.

I also have both of the classic comic and tragic mask tiles.

Great stuff.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pewabic Pottery is a Detroit treasure!! And the city is filled with Pewabic tilework, if you know where to look. A terrific guide to installations is the book "Fired Magic: Detroit's Pewabic Pottery Treasures" by Marcy Heller Fisher (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2003). Marcy lists almost 10 pages of Pewabic installations!

One of my favorite Pewabic installations is the Cathedral Church of St. Paul located on Woodward at Hancock (just south of Warren). (You can see it when the Church is open to the public during Noel Night.)

Gistok: According to www.thepeoplemover.com, the green tile that was unused by Stroh is at both the Cadillac Center and the RenCen DPM stations.

Although we don't own any vintage Pewabic pieces, we do have a number of Pewabic tiles and other items throughout our house, including on our fireplace hearth. And we enjoy giving Pewabic tiles as gifts. I'm actually headed to the Pottery later today to purchase a couple Pewabic items for Christmas gifts.

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness Pewabic survives. The famed Rook Wood Pottery in Cincinnati is or at least 10 years ago was a nice restaurant. You sit at tables amonst the enormous kilns.

Bob Cosgrove

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness Pewabic survives. The famed Rook Wood Pottery in Cincinnati is or at least 10 years ago was a nice restaurant. You sit at tables amonst the enormous kilns.

Bob Cosgrove

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Pewabic tiles. Both vintage and current. I went to Walled Lake Junior High where the walls are covered with Pewabic tiles in a nursery rhyme pattern. I always wanted a few of those.

I think it's a great local treasure. I'm sorry you missed it on that visit.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.drhuhc.org/art/sear ch.pl?category=Other

The drinking fountain and sculture in Detroit Receiving/University Health Center lobby also includes tiles donated by Stroh.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.pewabic.com/

Miketoronto

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully next time I can get out to the studio there. Some of their Christmas decorations look nice on their website.

I know it would cost a fortune, but it would be amazing to have a kitchen and bathroom done up in Pewabic tiles.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed on the fortune part...

But, for a bit over $200. I had about 35 2" x 2" tiles made in the color of my choice. They are sprinkled out across the backsplash in a tile field of "store bought" tiles. So I got a taste of Pewabic for what I thought was a pretty reasonable cost.

You can see it at http://ptero.smugmug.com/ Look for the kitchen photos. The Pewabic tiles are the dark blue diamonds. The color ties in to the dark blue counter edge...

(Message edited by ptero on November 22, 2006)

Miketoronto

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice work on that kitchen.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pewabic's also done some of the work on the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bob_Cosgrove
One thing you should remember in collecting Pewabic Pottery tiles, pots, etc., is that the present day Pewabic does not possess the formula for Mary Charse Perry Stratton's original Pewabic irridescent glazes. Hence, original Pewabic items have more value than contemporary ones.

Bob,
I bet the glaze formulas are still on file and full of ingredients that you can no longer use. A lot of heavy metals and low level radioactive ingredients went into the colorings and glazes back in the day.

Gistok

Post Number: 3124
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we all know the mansions of metro Detroit are "littered" with Pewabic tile.

One exceptional house is the Lawrence Fisher House near the east riverfront (known as the HQ of Hare Krishna). I can't remember if they're still open for tours, but I remember the exuberant shapes and colors of all the wonderful Pewabic tile in the lower entrance foyer, as well as Mr. Fisher's bathroom.

Toolbox, thanks for that info. It's amazing how the people in the early 20th century were being slowly poisoned by paint, glazes, luminescent wristwatch dials and even medicines...

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Pewabic House" was on the Indian Village Home Tour this year. Totally unbelievable -- the upstairs bathroom has the floor and walls all done in hundreds of sea green Pewabic tiles. Truly amazing.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

show offs :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 3125
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the William Stratton house? (Architect husband of Pewabic founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 845
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I think so Gistok. You had to take your shoes off at the door and put on hospital footsies. It was the most unbelievable house I've ever scene. Waiting to see if the Palmers Woods tour can top it. :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Eastsidedog... I wonder what you would hear if you took a Geiger Counter to measure radioactivity into that house?

Of course it probably wasn't too bad, since Mary Chase Perry Stratton lived to a ripe old age...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that house was incredible. Beautiful exterior as well. I would love to get a tour of the other Stratton house at 938 Three Mile in the Park. Apparantly it is Pewabic to the max in this Spanish-influenced home.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

938 Three Mile? Where's that located?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

938 Three Mile? Where's that located?

In Grosse Pointe Park, between Alter and Cadieux, just south of Jefferson

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. Thanks.

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reply to Toolbox's message of 12:36 p.m. today, the formula are in private hands of an art historian who is very knowledgeable about Pewabic. Conceviably they could be turned over to the present-day Pewabic at some time in the future. Since most Pewabic ware isn't used for eating or drinking, if there are toxic elements in the original glazes it should be of not concern.

Responding to Eastsidedog's 1:04 p.m. posting today, there are a number of Pewabic installations in Indian Village homes as there are in other upper-scale neighborhoods of the era (1900-1950). One of the most prolific and maybe that's the one you're talking about is the home built for Horace Caulkins' daughter on the northeast corner of Iroquois and Charlevoix.

Horace Caulkins was Mary Chase Perry's (she didn't marry William Buck Stratton until c.1917) financial partner in Pewabic. He was a manufacturer of dental kilns. His own home is on the southeast corner of Lafayette and Parker outside Indian Village in what is now known as West Village. These homes have extensive Pewabic installations throughout.

Bob Cosgrove

Gistok

Post Number: 3129
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bob! It seems odd that an Art Historian would "hold out" on giving Pewabic the formula(s)... Looking to make some money?

It seems strange that someone would hold out on providing joy to so many!! (Unless of course he is a "purist"....)

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although many Pewabic glazes of yesteryear were not suitable for food use, Pewabic now has a full line of dinnerware, mugs, tumblers, etc. that are completely foodsafe and suitable for everyday use.

However, the metallic and iridescents glazes are not food safe.
These glazes and lusters are reserved for decorative pieces and not applied to dinnerware.

As far as the art historian who has these secret recipes, that's likely false (I know the person being referenced).
Mary Chase Perry Stratton was a true believer in 'doing it yourself'.
She felt that if she formulated a nice glaze, it was hers and hers alone.
She believed that if someone wanted to know the recipe, that they should work just as hard as she did to figure it out.
She did not document her recipes but kept them in her head.
When she died, so did the recipes.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Northern High School has two huge Pewabic murals hanging in the halls. If there is any interest I will post photos.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you who are interested in Pewabic Pottery's history, there is always an ongoing historic exhibit there at the Pottery.

And recently the Pottery mounted the first in a series of 4 exhibits to celebrate "A Long Look Back" at the 100 years since they moved into the current building on East Jefferson. The current exhibit is called "Caulkins and Perry: The Early Years" and runs through January 19, 2007.

The second exhibit runs Feb 2 through May 18 and focuses on the vessel forms used from 1902 through 1969. The third installment runs June through August and covers the architectural aspects of Pewabic production including tile and art mural installations.

The series concludes with an exhibit on the collaboration of Albert Kahn and Pewabic for commercial and residential installations; this final exhibit runs Sept 14 through Dec 31, 2007.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW...Pewabic has issued a new Detroit Christmas ornament. It's round, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, with "Detroit" on the top curve and a skyline scene and river below. Comes in turquoise and in yellow-gold. $14. Makes a nice Christmas gift!!

Here's a scan of it:
pewabicChristmas

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick, please post the photos.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr,
I'll take some photos Monday and post 'em.

Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok commented on why an art historian would hold onto the original Pewabic glaze formulas. It's a more complicated situation than there is space or time to expand here. Suffice it to say these glazes formulas and samples were given to the art historian before it became part of Michigan State University, which it no longer is. There was a time when the later Pottery management left a lot to be desired in terms of knowing how to handle artifacts such as the glazes.

This is probably not true of the present management under Theresa Ireland. Put, if Henry Ford gave you his first Model T, would you give it to the Ford Motor Company of The Henry Ford Museum today? Rest assured the formula will be given to Pewabic some day.

Bob Cosgrove

Beadgrl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like one of those Detroit ornaments. Very nice!

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen for the ornament pic. Love it!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lest we forget - Pewabic was started in the carriage house of the Ransom Gillis home. Just another reason that structure should be polished and presented as a huge cultural asset to the City.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mural1
mural2

These are the Pewabic murals at Detroit Northern HS. Those ugly wooden pallets have covered the murals for at least 30 years; presumably they are protecting them from damage. The murals are covered with grime, old chewing gum and scotch tape residue. A few years ago I tried to drum up some interest in having them cleaned and the grout repaired, but nobody cared. At least they are not covered with gang graffiti like a lot of the walls at Northern.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, thanks for posting them. I looked up the Northern HS murals in Lillian Pear's book, The Pewabic Pottery, A History of Its Products and Its People. While included, they are very poorly reproduced, like a great many of her photos.

Beadgrl

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BF and I were out geocaching this past weekend and dropped into Pewabic. I bought the above pictured Detroit ornament ($14) and it very cool in person. I suggest to everyone to get to Pewabic. They have wonder stuff that they do plus other clay artists from around the country and Canada.

Oh and say hi to Thomas the Pewabic Pottery cat!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas is a big fatty !

Beadgrl

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww...Thomas is a big hunk of tom cat. You have to be big to take on those Detroit mice! They pack a mean wallup!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.