Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Happy Thanksgiving everybody « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 976
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and it's a beautiful TG eve morning in the D.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont recall Thanksgiving week this mild before, parade fans will be loving this.
happy Thanksgiving

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont recall Thanksgiving week this mild before, parade fans will be loving this.
happy Thanksgiving

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always like going to rock shows here in detroit over thanksgiving / christmas.... because it's still as convenient as ever... but for these two holidays, tons and tons of kids pour in from new york/chicago/portland/insert other cities that suck kids away here... to see their families - and then pack the magic stick / BoHome / CAID / Insert local music palace here... ah sell out crowds of out of town hipsters...

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<------Will be attending Natives of the New Dawn tonight at the Majestic. But I'm just a hipster from the burbs.

Yes I wish everyone a safe and warm Turkey Day. Hope to see all at the Turkey Trot tomorrow morning. One of the warmest forecasts for parade time tomorrow that I remember.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And also remember if you are heading into the CBD this evening there are many street closures starting at noon on Wednesday the 22nd for the parade tomorrow. so check before you leave.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff- thats my friends bros band ! Supposed to be a good show.
Happy Thanksgiving !

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
I'm coming over to eat up all your food!!!!

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 494
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

float

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy thanksgiving everyone! Hope you and yours don't eat too much lol

Bigjeff

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, I have been friends with DJ Gue, or as I know him as Gary....haha. Might I have seen you there last night???

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!! Already visited with one family and am heading out shortly for dinner with the the other...looking forward to many traditional family recipes, especially the meat dressing following a recipe handed down through the generations from our French Canadian ancestors.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigjeff I was not there cuz im fighting a lovely holiday cold right now....I work with Tonys sister...they are one talented bunch.

Bigjeff

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that. And yes they are. Tony especially. Well hope you had a good Thanksgiving and all.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We pledge to walk together
In the ways of truth and affection,
As best we know them now
Or may learn them in days to come,

That we and our children may be fulfilled
And that we may speak to the world
In words and actions
Of peace and goodwill.

The Mayflower Compact,
November 1620

Kathleen

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Themax, for posting the Pilgrims' message! As a descendant of three Mayflower passengers, it is fascinating to learn about what the Pilgims endured to get to America and what their intent was. I watched a bit of "Desperate Crossing: The Untold Story of the Mayflower" last evening. One of these days I will do a bit more research on my ancestors and their colleagues.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How odd that Themax left out some of the MC - it isn't that long. Here it is in its entirety:

"In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the Loyal Subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord, King James, by the Grace of God, of England, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, e&. Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the Christian Faith, and the Honour of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia; do by these presents, solemnly and mutually in the Presence of God and one of another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil Body Politick, for our better Ordering and Preservation, and Furtherance of the Ends aforesaid; And by Virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame, such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions and Offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the General good of the Colony; unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In Witness whereof we have hereunto subscribed our names at Cape Cod the eleventh of November, in the Reign of our Sovereign Lord, King James of England, France and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Domini, 1620."

There followed the signatures of 41 of the 102 passengers, 37 of whom were Separatists fleeing religious persecution in Europe. This compact established the first basis in the new world for written laws. Half of the colony failed to survive the first winter, but the remainder lived on and prospered.

Kathleen, I hope you'll do a followup post or 2 on your family's history.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5062
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I read it more closely - Themax, where did you get that? At best, it is a secular sanitized Cliff's Notes version.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Karl, for the clarification on the Mayflower Compact.

As I mentioned, I can trace my ancestry back to three Mayflower passengers: Richard Warren and Francis Cooke and his son John, who married Richard's daughter Sarah. In looking for the Mayflower Compact signatures, I found the Avalon Project at Yale Law School and, perusing the list, see that Richard Warren and John Cooke both signed it.

While I've been very much aware of my Pilgrim ancestry, and have made a couple of visits to the Plimoth Plantation and a couple of local historical society libraries, I haven't delved deeply into their story. Maybe now I will have to!!!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To help celebrate the great day, take a look at this classic moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZByndN_ffyw&eurl

The WKRP Turkey Drop

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those train set and race track ads! Thanks for posting them. There was a thread here once that had pictures of downtown during Christmas. 1920s 30s? Anyone know which thread that was?

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://www.umich.edu/ ~bhl/bhl/mhchome/detroit/image s/bl004012.jpg&imgrefurl=http: //www.umich.edu/~bhl/bhl/mhcho me/detroit/detindex.htm&h=441& w=300&sz=15&hl=en&start=56&tbn id=GAMprPtCK5vidM:&tbnh=127&tb nw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3DChris tmas%2BDetroit%26start%3D40%26 ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://info.detnews.c om/dn/history/goodfell/images/ knock.gif&imgrefurl=http://inf o.detnews.com/history/story/in dex.cfm%3Fid%3D127%26category% 3Dlife&h=308&w=252&sz=27&hl=en &start=76&tbnid=aZPgqZhtblB8BM :&tbnh=117&tbnw=96&prev=/image s%3Fq%3DChristmas%2BDetroit%26 start%3D60%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum %3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3 DN

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.