Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Oakland Teen Creates Nuclear Fusion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2 006/11/22/amateur_fusion_proje ct/

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061123/NEWS03/ 611230377/1005/NEWS

quote:

Teenager's fusion claim gains notice

Scientists debate validity of test
November 23, 2006
BY GINA DAMRON

An Oakland Township teen said he has been surprised by the national attention he has gotten over his claim that he achieved nuclear fusion with a homemade machine in his parents' basement.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like another David Hahn.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That dumbass David Hahn, his father and step-mom live behind my parents. While his "shed incident" didn't happen next door, it was still pretty close. Perhaps a 10-minute drive and right next to the middle school. God only knows what he did in my (former) neighborhood!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Hahn's mom's house was near my late Uncle's house in Union Lake. The authorities showed up in meltdown suits and took away the tool shed where he operated the reactor, and dug up a whole lotta earth from around the site and carted it off.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10901
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Y'all just sound jealous to me. :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thiago now has the power to make suns, even a new solar system with his fusion technology. Also his new fusion generator could lead a way for warp speed engines and teleportation devices.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on Jay Leno last night. He said his name was Abdullah (ha!)

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Danny, but what if Thiago turns out to be the Lex Luthor of fusion technonology? If it turns out he's an evil scientist, let's just hope he doesn't develope a delivery system or contact the North Koreans to borrow one of theirs.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2956
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evil scientists are only evil if they work for the bad guys ...

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 827
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How cool is that, even it's just a plausible attempt. I mean, christ the kid is only 17.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit it. I am jealous.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too. I'm wondering where he obtained the deuterium? Through a supplier or a centrifuge?

I suppose the 40,000 volts were just used to get the deuterium to a plasma state.

Even if it didn't work I still envy kids like that with the guts to try.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7172
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just talking yesterday about how the deck is stacked against anyone daring to invent anything in this Homeland Security age.

All the real cool stuff to be re-discovered is ol' Nikola Tesla's EM capture and use technology from the early part of the 20th century...but they passed a Michigan law against EM weaponry development that could absolutely make illegal anyone trying to figure out how Tesla made his 'electric' Pierce Arrow work without any sort of battery storage for three days at up to 100 mph.

We all know now that these kids are BANNED from heading in the direction their gifts took them...the follow-up for that David Hahn proved that he was kept from even touring the nuclear reactors while in the Navy.

They deem him a security risk because he dared try to figure things out for himself...sure he WAS a risk to those nearby, but he apparently was taking regular measurements and caught his experiment before it went China Syndrome.

They should've treated him like the computer industry does hackers/crackers...hire them to further their natural abilities.

Worst thing? The conservative scientists who pile on anyone who dares pursue any form of energy or matter that hasn't been discovered yet...they would've eaten Tesla for lunch the moment he showed his infinite-fuel roadster.

If the oil companies didn't get to him first...don't get in the way of their revenue stream.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we were kids a local genius (top student in High School) paid a visit. He got all excited about my dad's electrical equipment, grabbed a couple coathangers and made a Jacob's Ladder on the spot. It looked like TV rabbit ears with spark arcs climbing to the top.

It probably messed up reception all over the neighborhood but that's a small price to pay for science!

I won't mention the explosives. Suffice it to say that it did rain gravel for quite a while. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a fair amount of really smart kids in my high school, but the guy who seemed to be the Class Genius Maximus was an odd-seeming fellow. He looked funny, talked funny, walked funny. He also maintained a perfect 4.0 for grades 9-12, which was quite an accomplishment, but because children are cruel, at times, especially when envious or fearful, this fellow was the butt of many jokes, pranks, insulting imitations, the whole nine yards, particularly during the first couple of years. Well, he was our valedictorian, and when he was announced at the commencement ceremony, he received a hearty round of applause, which I believe was 50% out of respect for his achievement and 50% out of respect for his having taken all the shit they gave him without breaking. He politely acknowledged the applause and went on to share with us the fact that it was his intention to pursue Nuclear Physics in college. My mind immediately filled with Doomsday scenarios centered around this gifted misfit. It's been quite a few years since that day, so I guess that, as it turned out, he was pretty forgiving after all, but I told you all that so I could tell you that I find it perfectly believable that, in possession of the necessary materials, this 17 year old could have done just what he claims to have done. I can't wait to find out, actually. I hope his classmates treat him better than my class treated our guy.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admit I'm fascinated by these wizards.

There was one kid from Massachusetts who attended some special classes in Group and Number Theory at Oakland University. He had to be chaperoned by his elder brother because, allegedly, he was too dangerous when left alone. He always sported a sly smile and was at the very top of those advanced classes.

Another kid there took me for a ride up I-75 during lunch break. He accelerated to 120 MPH for no apparent reason. I asked him why he did that and he replied only with that same sly smile.

(Insert Twilight Zone music here.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.