Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Hitting A Person With Glasses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State University “Petty Crimes" My daughter attends Wayne and wears glasses we find this appalling.

The second incident occurred on October 14th on Antony Wayne Drive at W. Kirby at 11:35pm when a 19 year old male student reported that he was
approached him on foot. The subject suddenly ripped the Complainants Cartier brand prescription glasses off his face and fled on foot. The Complainant was not injured. He described at the subject as a black male, 19 years of age, 5'6" 149 lbs, wearing a black skull cap, black jacket and dark pants.

A sixth near campus robbery occurred on October 31, 2006 at 8:00pm when a male student reported he was walking on the Lodge Service Drive, near Warren when approx. 10 black males, in their mid teens approached him. As they walked past the student, one of the subjects reached out and grabbed the students prescription glasses off his face. The group of ten teens then ran northbound on the freeway service drive. The student was not injured.

Source: Crime Prevention Section
Wayne State University Police Department
76 W. Hancock
Detroit, Mich. 48201
EMERGENCY phone: (313) 577-2222
Non-Emergency: 313-577-6057
e-mail: campuswatch@wayne.edu
web site: http://www.police.wayne.edu

(Message edited by flybydon on November 23, 2006)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there actually money in this? Who buys stolen glasses, of all things?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that 14 year old kid in Southfield who was killed over his $1000 glasses a few years ago. His mother actually let him spend $1000 of his hard earned money on those designer glasses, and now he's dead cuz he refused to give them up!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the only reason I'd ever get contact lenses.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the frames for Cartiers cost about $1200... so anyone can get new lenses. The major jewel is the frame.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 915
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF is so special about Cartier frames, aside from the label on them?

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kinda c-s still wears Cartier?
That is so-o-o-o out-loud-proud-1979 that if someone else didn't assault him, the boys at Guerrila would have dressed him down by the numbers and made him break them.

Sheesh. Exactly, Tetsua. WTF!!!!!!

--Brenda

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look like old lady glasses...what the heck is the appeal here, please tell me?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Students always get top name brand glasses stolen at school. Kids just run up and take them right off their faces. I'd never let my kid buy anything that expensive (do you know how many kids break glasses??). I don't even get glasses that cost much more than my insurance covers!

Kids say that the prestige in having them on and others knowing how much they spent on them is the appeal...I don't see it (and I still have my glasses!!)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did she know he weighed 149 lbs?

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Women's Intuition

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They look like old lady glasses...what the heck is the appeal here, please tell me?

They're ostentatious and expensive, hence must have items among those who can least afford them. I'm sure I could make a fortune selling orange prison jumpsuits emblazened with "I'm an Idiot" across the back if I charged at least $500 dollars for them and claimed that "Girbaud" or "Gucci" designed them. If I did the same, but instead printed "Gifted Student" across a wool business suit, sold at K-Mart, urban students wouldn't give it the time of day.

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, glasses that were snatched on Halloween night were not Cartier...nor any kind of designer ripoff/knockoff. Standard issue frames.

The dude who got his glasses snatched is a student of mine at WSU. He is a really great student who happened to be in the wrong place at the right time (Halloween night and alone). I am pretty sure it was a prank/harrassment of the Halloween punk kind and not a snatch/grab/steal high end frames robbery.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.