Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Packard Plant? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Doughboy
Username: Doughboy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for information regarding the status of the historic Packard Plant on East Grand Blvd. Specifically Building #10. Is it still there? Which one is it?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4263
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/76130.html

or
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/75169.html

or The Hall of Fame Thread

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/78791.html?11554003 50

Welcome to the forum. Start with these threads, lots of discussions regarding the plant.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doughboy--bldg. 10 was/is the first Albert Kahn "modern" (circa 1910) steel/concrete factory bldg. It is still there, although it has been added to/swallowed up by later additions. The Packard plant grew in fits from 1903 when the first factory was built there, until 1937 (or thereabouts) when the last major expansion was built.
Like Jams says, read all of the threads above, you'll be busy for a while.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch your step 'round there though. It's old and pepople use ols ass shit for thangs...It's wasy to get to though...peep it out

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad we can't add to some of those threads.

I used to play paintball there as a kid. They would take you all over the plant and basically let you run around freely with a paintgun between floors. A lot of 5-story high bridges connect the multiple buildings. A lot of broken glass and rusty nails also.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1961, or thereabouts, I went to the GEM store that was in the Packard Plant. First time I ever saw Silicon rubber, it was blister packed, had a wad of silicon rubber on the cardboard to let you feel what it was like. That was a unique gob in 1961.

25 years later, I'm working with a guy that was with Aerojet in the 50's and 60's. He told me they embedded heating wires in silicon rubber. The turbine pumps that pushed the liquid oxygen into the rocket engines would fail, they fixed it by heating the bearings in the pump with electrical heaters. In silicon rubber.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1961, or thereabouts, I went to the GEM store that was in the Packard Plant. First time I ever saw Silicone rubber, it was blister packed, had a wad of silicone rubber on the cardboard to let you feel what it was like. That was a unique gob in 1961.

25 years later, I'm working with a guy that was with Aerojet in the 50's and 60's. He told me they embedded heating wires in silicone rubber. The turbine pumps that pushed the liquid oxygen into the rocket engines would fail, they fixed it by heating the bearings in the pump with electrical heaters. In silicone rubber.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.