Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Ford to Mortgage ALL Its Assets?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7204
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET just had a report on FoMoCo leveraging everything they own...right on down to the Blue Oval.

Kleinfelter gets it...total cash gained from this move will give them enough wiggle room to buy back all their outstanding stock, so they can tell Wall Street to jump into the Harbor.

Great job, Quinn! Heh.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What shudders me is the faint rumor about making young Bill Ford Jr. the GM of The Detroit Lions. If he does for the Lions what he did for FoMoCo, we'll long for the Matt Millen days........:-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon is there any real evidence that Ford will buy back stock? I'd love to see it happen but am skeptical.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch:

"If management fails in its latest attempt to make the ailing company profitable again, Ford may be left with little choice but to find a buyer or merger partner or file for bankruptcy protection."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11 /27/business/27cnd-ford.html

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7206
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no...sorry, that was MY tie...Quinn merely added the tag to the end of the article reminding everyone that the figure from the mortgaging would be something like 2 billion MORE than what they would need.

Ahem. I thought it was perfect...he never said it directly, but it was clear if you knew the back story from a few months ago.

It was rumored that Ford discussed options to get out from under Wall Street's thumb, now that they achieved 'junk' status on all their debt anchor.

Made the anchor something like four to ten times heavier and much more difficult to manage. (I didn't do the math with interest rates, I'm just guessing proportionately for the analogy)

H-M-M-m-m-n-n, then they had that shake-out where Wm Jr was booted as CEO, but kept as Chairperson (right?!)...and his cousin was fired as well. Actually, I think she went into early retirement. Don't remember her name.

NOW, the same move (and I'll bet that it will spin into a complete stock buyback), but with self-generated capital from an asset sale and rent-back.

Curious, in light of that documentary The Corporation. The family could've gotten control over their grandpappy's corporation, but it looks like it might've been wrestled from them.

One last chance for an old school manufacturing corporation to be redeemed and become sustainable and ethical...situation isn't close at any other car company for a family run on stock.

It might be fun to see the family start rushing to buy and end-run around their detractors.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I get the feeling that little creep Mark Fields is behind this? And lets see how he makes out in the deal, shades of Kmart all over.

He holds an economics degree from Rutgers University (USA) and a Masters in Business Administration from Harvard Graduate School of Business. <kiss of death

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know the backstory and I caught Quinn's remark. My fantasy scenario is that the family gets everything back, quietly works on new products (especially alternate fuel options) since they won't have to reveal their hand, and comes back strong leaving Wall Street crying in the rearview mirror.

BTW the 'American father' of the Toyota Prius died Saturday. His replacement is uncertain at this time.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as voting power goes at FMC, the Fords own roughly 10% of the business and control another three times that amount. This makes 40% of FMC under their control.

Ford will probably survive as a specialty vehicle company--mostly around the "F" series or any profitable large truck models and, perhaps, the Mustangs. As to its size and market share: it will probably settle down to around 1/2 its former size but might end up only about 1/3 of its former self.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.