Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit students renovate Fort Wayne Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061125/NEW S01/611250326/1003/NEWS01&temp late=printart

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 622
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putting the kiddies to work.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess all of our teenagers really aren't rebellious and on drugs....

In a hulking brick colonial overlooking the Detroit River, Detroit high school seniors Justin White and Ervin Goldsmith smoothed a clay-like glaze on old window sashes while their classmates Karl Murphy and Marco Johnson worked to restore decades-old plaster walls. The house they were repairing Wednesday is at least 130 years old and sits among rows of similar crumbling buildings with sinking rooftops.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Murphy, 17, a senior at Henry Ford High School, said he stared drop-jawed when he saw the crumbling fort structures before his first class."

"I wondered how it got to be in this condition," he said, adding, "I feel privileged to work on it."

I'll tell him how it got to be in that condition, plain and simple, the City of Detroit owns it, that's how.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Repairing plaster work is a very specific and unique skill. There aren't very many people in the world that do the plaster decorative work that exists in detroit buildings any longer. I am sort of surprised that they could teach it in a class or whatever at the high school level. Gotta give DPS its due.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll tell him how it got to be in that condition, plain and simple, the City of Detroit owns it, that's how.

And then you'll tell him that the City of Detroit is this way because its tax base fled for the suburbs, right?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of how the Fort Wayne buildings got to be in that condition, I see a sign of hope in these kids. They care about the buildings and they're learning how to fix 'em. If only more DPS students could enroll in a program like this one...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And only if DPS could get funding for more programs for more kids. Maybe we can get Prop. A repealed. Hmm...

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a city not interested in its past- doesn't have much of a future-
hooray for these kids-

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is this thread making it over the "Selling Detroit's past to pay for its future" thread

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Paul, I thought it was an interesting post when I posted it. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.