Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Legal Aid association to buy 6-story downtown building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061128/NEW S99/61128015

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 floors of the Penobscot loosing occupancy? damn..hope they can recover

so far looks like a like of shuffling and not a lot of new buisness downtown

Tetsua

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which building on Abbott st is the article referring to. Is it currently occupied by anyone else?

Tetsua

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And by the way, how much space is still left in the Kennedy Square building?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is currently occupied by

quote:

Walbridge Aldinger, a major Detroit-based construction company that has used the building as its headquarters since 1989, will move its staff of just under 200 workers into 51,000 square feet of space in the new One Kennedy Square office tower at Griswold and Michigan, just west of Campus Martius Park. The building was completed this year.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is actually a good thing to happen to a city. You have a growing firm moving into a building of thier own. This will free up space in a marquee building which is more likely to attract a tenant from outside the city. This also helps occupy some of the new Kennedy Square Building. Pretty good news on the whole.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shuffling also allows them to renovate a space for their needs, while at the same time opening up space that can be renovated for someone else. Hard to renovate when you are there.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7163
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the up side, the Penobscot is also about to lose a number of scarey-looking folks wandering around their building. (The crim defendants, not the defenders.) I know they're taking a hit, but future leasing will be that much easier without some of these folks on display.

Bob

Post Number: 1239
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also have to imagine that these 6 vacated floors could be combined with other empty floor to allow for someone to come in a lease a larger space.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This does seem like fairly positive news in the larger view. Does any one have a picture of the building on Abbot Street?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

613 Abbott Street

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a photo:

abbott

Bob

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is the Romanian Consulate staying there? Or are there moving elsewhere also?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news for everyone except we taxpayers.

The W-A building is a lavish office building.

Legal Aid is paying north of $10,000,000 for the building and I'm told that there is no money left to adapt the building to Legal Aid's needs.

The Directors are derelict in their duty by permitting this acquisition. The offices, I'm told, are nicer than Honigman Miller's.

Where's the oversight?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7164
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the building suits their needs and they can afford it, what's the problem?

Bob

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much would the building need to be adapted if its already in the shape it is in. I think they would not be buying it in the first place if it did not meet their needs. Besides they are buying something in downtown, which is much more of a committment in the area than leasing (not that I am dogging on leasing).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Good news for everyone except we taxpayers.

Where is the hit to taxpayers?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7167
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, the Legal Aid & Defender Association is funded by the Legal Services Corporation, a private, non-profit corporation funded by the government. (Kinda like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.) Although they get a little money from other sources, the lion's share is from the LSC. That's where the taxpayers come in.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad that the upper management folks of legal aid will have comfortable offices to make their decisions from while the hard working attorneys spend their days in court.

Maybe they could have used a few of those dollars to put a few more attorneys on the ground to handle the case loads.

Of course I am sure there are things about the existing building and contracts and such that I know nothing about, but I do know some legal aid attorneys who are being overwhelmed by some of the contracts they get signed on to.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow this is cool. I worked for Walbridge for about 4 years through 2002. 613 Abbott was owned by Walbridge, but there were two floors that were used by DEA and other federal agents. Ok building, with an atrium and a 6th floor dining room with a nice view south towards the ambassador bridge.

I'm jealous they are going to be at campus martius and in the CBD...:-( Maybe I'll go back... hmmm..

Quinn

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob...the owner of Walbridge, John Rakolta, is the Romanian Consul...the only reason the consulate was there is because his office was there. I'm positive it will move with Walbridge to One Kennedy Square.

One thing I was just thinking about, Walbridge didn't build One Kennedy...BUT they can now look out and see one of their pre-eminent jobs: Compuware.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drek. It will be so much harder getting in and out of Walbridge Aldinger now. Hope they cover visitor parking expenses...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's assume a worst case scenario: they don't have any funds to renovate their new office. Would taxpayers automatically be on the hook to cover it?

Also, if they had stayed in their old office or found a cheaper location, would taxpayers have somehow gotten a refund?

My, albeit limited, understanding is that the Legal Aid & Defender Association receives a flat fee for the services it performs for indigent defendants and that fee doesn't increase simply because they moved into a new building.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. The Abbott building is really nice, but I don't think I'd use the word "lavish". Once you get out of the lobby area it's mostly just open office space (although I haven't seen John Rakolta's office). Can't speak for him, but I think Quinn would probably verify this.

Quinn - were/are you an estimator?

(Message edited by llyn on November 28, 2006)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to hear that a good, solid employer like Walbridge will be moving to One Kennedy. On one hand this is slightly disappointing because I know that there were rumors saying that legal aid would purchase and do something with the old WSU Shapiro Hall on Rivard St. across 75 from Greektown. That place is disgusting. It can't be converted to housing because of the way it was built, and it is not desirable for offices being outside downtown and in that strange low-density housing project setting.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One Kennedy was bound to bring in leasers from other buildings due to the huge tax breaks they received. I don't know what the lease rate are between Penobscot and One Kennedy, but i bet they're lower at One Kennedy.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was able to get in contact with Redico, I was informed that by the time Ernest and Young finish their interior build out by Janurary, that another tenant that Visteon has subleased will start their build out. I was told this would bring the building to 75% by the middle of next year. No word on the retail/resturant space, though.

This is a good move for all, though.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The upper floors of One Kennedy Square are being built out, and at night with the lights on, its looking nice.... finally...

Quinn

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn no I worked in Marketing.

Who said it was lavish? It was basic office space. Class A yes...but definitely not lavish.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.