Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit: a great place for romance and a perfect date. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I had the best date in the world yesterday.

I finally got my driver's license back and thought that I should take my date out. Note that she's from Estonia, and just transferred to UofM in September: she never got to see Detroit.
Rather than doing it the cheezy and fratty way by impressing her and taking her to Andiamo's or some random pricey place in Ann Arbor, I did it the original, not too expensive yet very romantic and authentic way (read: European way):

-a nice dinner at Baker's Lounge (8 and Livernois) accompanied with exquisite drinks and music
-driving/cruising around Detroit at night listening to Motown Music (she loooved Marvin Gaye's "Trouble man" and the Temptations' "Ain't too proud to beg") was amazing. We ended up parking next to the Book Cadillac and walked for an hour around Downtown.

Is it me or is Downtown Detroit really romantic? Have any other people felt the slow romantic vibe in the city? Very smooth and authentic.

I have to say that Detroit helped me finally make things happen with Ilana. Back in my car, and things finally happened. I was there, kissing her under the grace and sagacious presence of the Book-Cadillac. I owe you Detroit! It was, once again, my best date ever.

Anybody else has any romance episodes in which Detroit helped making it near perfect?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverfront walk or riverboat cruises are nice

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last girlfriend of 2 years told me that our first date was the most romantic she'd ever been on. All we really did was go ice skating downtown at night. I guess downtown really is full of romance.
PS. She just moved to LA. four weeks ago and I'm now single. I guess I should have taken her for another skating date.

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not exactly downtown but La Dolce Vita at Woodward and McNichols is very romantic in the evening. The Sunday brunches are fun too but not as low-key.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 662
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dates in the city in the winter are romantic, but I don't know too many girls who'd want to make out late at night under the Book Cadillac LOL.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicely done, Frenchman!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting for someone to post a similar story, but with their date taking place at Fountain Walk in Novi.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchy--perfect Detroit romance story

No car = No romance

That's Detroit, all the way

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my first date with the last ex was for a pure detroit fashion show at the guardian building. that was pretty cool.

which reminds me, they sell a t-shirt that says "detroit is for lovers"

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always take my dates to Scott Fountain on Belle Isle.

Then I ask them if they're up for a little "traffic cop/naughty speeder"

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are seriously creeping me out.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10927
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does this sound like a scene out of Borat?

"I want to do a romance inside of you."

-Borat

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite date in the City was on a Friday night. Went to the DIA and took in all the sights. Meandered down to Oslo for some sushi/dinner. Took to the ice of Campus Martius for some skating under the stars and enjoying the views of the skyline. Ended with dessert at Astoria in Greektown. Stellar!

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I guess women from Estonia do not mind when their boyfriends "kiss and tell" on the public web forums....

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So, I guess women from Estonia do not mind when their boyfriends "kiss and tell" on the public web forums...."

Well, you see: after the Great Purge of 2006, DY accepted a disproportionate share of middle and juvenile high schoolers. These types have a penchant for discussing their newly-found life adventures and other serious topics. After a while, they'll meekly inquire on other DY fora about information about STDs and AIDS.

As to Estonian girls: Some of them have a tendency to be imaginary, and those that do exist are often from the Cass Corridor.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D is definately a good place to have a cheap date when you're broke (I speak from experience). I think of some of the other cities I've been in, and it does seem easier to have an affordable good time with a girl. A tour of one of our museums, dinner some place in Greektown, and a sit on the riverfront is a damn good affordable time. Me and the Mrs. still do this when it's warm.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchman_in_the_d, it was very special for me too ... :-)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least during WARMER months, taking a girl to Campus Martius is always a nice choice. Sitting by the fountain is a nice place to (let me set aside my manliness for a second) cuddle... and in a non-voyeristic way, it's romantic because there are at least 5-10 other couples there most nights doing the same thing...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You guys are seriously creeping me out.

Lol. It's a step up from the strip club and Maxim magazine topics at least.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh ... not really.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Hysteria, I dont think I could convince a girl to get out the car let alone make out at night under the empty Book Cadillac. I guess ill have to try that one.

But sadly when I think of date or romance downtown doesnt come into mind unless im thinking club or hotel room. Or Lafayette Coney Mmmmm.....

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there's nothing like having some "exquisite drinks" at Baker's Lounge and THEN driving around Downtown, all after you "just got your license back."

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my best Detroit cheap date was a picnic on the roof of the abandoned Tuller Hotel on a lazy June afternoon 18 or so years ago... She even brought the picnic basket and the wine!
I'd never take a date to greektown though...

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

your cynicism will always surprise me.
No STDs, no high schooler comments and no showing off here.
I am going to be honest with you, I thought I should share this event thinking it was a truly unique one and deeply related to Detroit. Had it happened somewhere else, take Sommerset mall, Andiamo's, Novi fountain walk, you're talking about a whole new game and setting. I probably would of gotten a pat on the head.

And since we're on a Detroit forum, I think kissing under the Book-Cadillac is a pretty unique experience and yes, I'm proud of it!

Barnesfoto, amazing job. How did your date actually accept breaking into a creepy abandoned hotel??

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fitd, no sense of humor, eh? And the Cass Corridor isn't that far away from the BC.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least during WARMER months, taking a girl to Campus Martius is always a nice choice.

What, 60 F two days before December isn't warm enough for you?

:-)

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only is this creepy, it reminds me of a South Of 8 Mile blog. Y'know,

Dear Diary...

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FM, in my wild younger days, abandoned buildings were unsecured, -no breaking, just entering...she loved it!

Dds

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just entering...she loved it!

snicker. awesome.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a couple at Andiamo's last night who enjoyed a candle light dinner overlooking the river, then they went for a walk on the riverwalk. It nearly moved me to tears, how happy they looked.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had some of the best dates of my life in Downtown. Then again my life hasn't been that long. LOL. Walking about downtown, stoping at Campus Martius, and Going to the top of the Ren Cen. All great things to do. And free!

Username: 3420

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is indeed a romantic place. I met a woman this past July and took her to Campus Martius for our first date. She hasn't been downtown in a while and loved it. We sat by the fountain until closing time for the park. One funny moment was when this homeless guy tried to go take a swim in the fountain. But what was funny was that I knew he was going to do this because I told her he about to step down into the fountain. But the security guard moved him right along and we still enjoyed our date.

Haven't been down to the river walk but when I return home next week, her and I will walk down the riverfront. I have come to also enjoy Grand Circus Park as well. It has this classic park feel when you sit in the park. I would say I like Grand Circus better, but Campus Martius still has its edge. Her and I sat there too and loved all the views.

My best dates were all downtown because I set it up that way so it could be something different every weekend for her. First date was Campus Martius, second one was the Hard Rock Cafe', then Grand Circus Park, and so on. But what I have never done before was ice skate and would like to try it soon. I was there for thanksgiving break and saw so many people on the rink and all up Woodward. That sight was just memorable.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nearly every date I have, I take them downtown. Granted they're at different times of the year, theres different things to do, but my last one was a week ago Wednesday. We started out with Vanilla Chais from Astoria and walked from Greektown to Campus Martius where we ate our chocolate covered pretzels and watched other couples skate and then finally joined in ourselves. She is from New York city and was visiting family for Thanksgiving. She had never been downtown and complimented it's "personal" atmosphere compared to the big apple. After skating, we walked down the center of Woodward, which was closed for the parade the next day, and it was awesome to look around at all the holiday spirit and see other couples doing the same. We walked down to the Ren Cen and took a walk on the river, taking pictures of each other with Windsor and the bridge in the background. To warm up, we went to see the city from the top of the Ren Cen, and finally concluded the night with appetizers are Pegasus. I also drove her by the MCS because she loved the portfolio photos I had taken of it earlier in the year. Every date I have goes something similar to this, whether the riverwalk is switched out with Seldom Blues or Greektown with Mexicantown. I always am excited to share with my dates and even my friends the experience of downtown Detroit, and to convey the feeling of not fear but appreciation for the history, culture, and romance it has to offer.

Now, she won't stop talking about how much fun she had and can't wait to come back.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 89 to 93 I was in a relationship with a gorgeous black american woman who resembled Holly Robinson. Two out of three hostile reactions we encountered as an interracial couple occurred downtown, although most of our outings to museums; plays; concerts etc. were wonderful.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 827
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Eastside, the chivalry and romance would continue with Frenchman kicking Livernoisyard's ass for insulting his girlfriend.

Dds

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the most romantic nights in my life were spent at Jumbo's.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

folks...get a grip here. Yeah detroit has its unique "charms," but we're not talking about Paris either. Let's not get delusional.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only a Detroiter can understand this post.

I too have experienced "romance" in Detroit. But only because I wanted romance and happen to live and be in Detroit.

Otherwise it's kind of comical. IMHO. I'm not sure Detroit is going for any top spots as "Romantic city in America". But for us Detroiters, we know. We know...

(Message edited by kingofdetroit on December 07, 2006)

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kingofdetroit, meet King of Scotland.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you do. :-)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to nominate this one for the worst post of 2006.....I wasn't going to say anything, then it reared its ugly head again. Bear in mind, from the posts, I have deduced that these are MEN who are so excited about how romantic their dates were. Notice none of the dates ended up successfully.....no talk of intercourse or sexual physical contact of any sort......Either these men only went on dates to reinforce their homosexual "beards", or the dates weren't actually romantic at all..(to the women, who are the only creatures that should be discussing romance)

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bearing a grudge....Just because nobody is getting busy in front of the grace and sagacious presence of the Greektown Casino (unless a defribrillator is also standing by).

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling man that is funny. I am a man and all of my great dates were with men. Imagine that, why don't you be careful next time before you open your big mouth.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 908
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois, I hope you at least got laid after some of your romantic dates.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed back in my clubin' and bar days that it was easier to pick up chicks in Detroit bars. These would almost exclusively be girls that lived out of the city. Where going to these same outer cities to frequent a bar I would encounter a huge testosterone fest encircling a few brain dead gold diggers. Any one else notice that?

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP (that's for you Gambling Man!). Oh yeah, and props for workin' "intercourse" into the thread. Lawd knows it could use it....

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ the last several posts!!!!!!!

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP.....where did Mr. French go?

Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. French is back...

I really don't feel like picking a fight.
Livernoisyard is just being insolent and grumpy. I guess I'll have to get used to it on this forum.

Pop some viagra, you might be able to funnel some of your frustration...

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fitd: 6nois--no relation--would like to compare nodes, err... notes, with you.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a lawsuit a few years back involving a cab driver who got a little too "over-romantic" with his passenger when he dropped her off at her house over by Marygrove College. He claimed it was a "consensual get-together" on a nice warm Detroit evening. She claimed quite otherwise. Thus, the litigation.
When asked at his deposition about the series of events that led up to the incident, the cab driver testified:
"Well, it must have been the wolf in me".

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Men can't be romantic? What about these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R omantic_poets

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Gambling man. Speaking of the 'wolf in us' if any of you have ever been in a bar with GM you will quickly discover that this guy is one of the biggest babe magnets you will ever see. The ladies just flock to this guy. You'd have thought the freakin' pope had entered the way they line up for an audience.

So excuse him if he can't understand why other mere mortals might struggle to get to first base on their first date. [Ha, talk about being born on third base and thinking he hit a triple.]

You will also notice that being in the gambling industry, he is very results focused as well.

As for Frenchy's unique date, thanks for sharing, I notice that Livernoisyard scoffs while the female forumites are charmed. 'nuf said!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY isn't a chick?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.