Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » More Love for Trumbull [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and Lincoln.

The destruction of 4130 Trumbull jogged my memory of the the beautiful architecture of that neighborhood and the adjacent Woodbridge district.

TrumbullPlex

Trumbull

Trumbull

Trumbull

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, Lowell. That area definitely has some beautiful architecture. When I visit Detroit next, I will have to check out the area.

How much do renovated homes like the one in the last picture go for?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture 3....the center (tallest) structure....does anyone know anything about it (who owns it, etc.)

I've always loved that building and its porches and would love to buy it, though it might be too far gone or two expensive for me to handle.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3690
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any info on the home in the first picture? Perhaps mit is an early George Mason design?

Patrick

Post Number: 3691
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any info on the home in the first picture? Perhaps it is an early George Mason design?

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1953: I've always loved that building and its porches and would love to buy it, though it might be too far gone or two expensive for me to handle."

those are wonderful porches indeed, but considering the amount of sky that is visible where roof should be, i would guess a rehabilitation would best a monumental project.

great shots nonetheless, Lowell.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1953: I've always loved that building and its porches and would love to buy it, though it might be too far gone or two expensive for me to handle."

The house was the original Scripps Mansion of the Scripps-Howard Broadcasting and Communications Co. It was built somewhere near the early 20's though i couldn't find out when specifically. It sat on about 4 acres when it was first built and came complete with a conservatory and Carriage House-A real one by the way, w/stables. I don't know it's history after the Scripps moved out but, it was sadly demolished around the early part of 2005 along with the houses next to it. I drove by recently and it's a vacant lot but the old iron and brick fence still stands with the entrance on the corner by Saint Bart's. The Carriage House it covered up by brush and overgrowth but i think it still stands.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a sign nearby that the site is going to become brownstones from the $350's, casts a little doubt on the fires that precipitated the demolition?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demolition? Horrible. New housing? Hooray!

Thanks for the info, though.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick - as to the home in the first picture, it was on the Woodbridge Home Tour in either 2001 or 2002. If I can find the booklet, I can get the architect's name; but I'm pretty sure it wasn't George Mason.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Korridorkid

The house was the original Scripps Mansion of the Scripps-Howard Broadcasting and Communications Co.

Try again, that was not the Scripps mansion.

Patrick

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Booths had a sweet Flemish looking home next to or across from the Scripps mansion...we discussed this numerous times on here.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scripps mansion burned in 1986, and was demolished. The blue house and apt building in Lowell's pic #3 were owned by the same group of christian charlatans that owned the Scripps home...They operated some sort of halfway houses in the buildings, until, one after the other, all of them had mysterious fires.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back then I recall seeing those buildings daisy chained with extension cords from the apt building to the house, I'll guess they were using the various apt addresses serially and not paying their bill and then using another apt address to get electricity for both buildings. An 8-12 unit apt building like that one, hell you could easily get 2+ years of free energy that way (not the sort that Gannon has in mind tho).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.