Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Makes me anrgy how local media poorly paints Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061129/NEW S01/611290407&GID=wHWxCF5kLlMz az5GhRt7KYRctIVIZ+YEG8tp2sinPO E%3D

This article is a perfect example... It really upsets me... not that i'm not used to it, but it's still irksome...

This article's title reads:

Detroit:
No clothes, no tongue: Man lands in hospital

why the hell didn't the authors more accurately write:

"Sterling heights man leaps from second floor window, most likely bit off his own tongue"

oh yeah, I forgot, because that would make detroit sound bad... instead, from the title, we have to make it appear that some mugger stole a mans clothes and brutally cut off his tongue because that sells papers...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After reading this story, is whether or not the city of Detroit looks bad, the only thing that interests you?

It's kind of a narrow view of life...

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you serious? in fact, it's your extrapolations from the title that made you feel the way you do. if that's what you got from the article, it sounds like YOU are the one with the bias against detroit.

the title is just 4 words of fact, and there's nothing bad about detroit in the article. anything beyond that is an assumption, good or bad.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Andylinn on this one... it was the teaser yesterday before the news and they just said they found a naked man with no tongue, then "more at 11." and they showed a Detroit Police car. I didn't even bother to watch the actual story, but now that I see that he jumped out a window, it bugs me even more the way the news left so much to the imagination. I imagine there are even more people who didn't ever find out how it happened, but now they just think that if you go to Detroit, you'll get your tongue cut off and be left naked on the east side.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10931
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, yesterday's article made it sound like the guy was mugged, stripped down, and had his tongue cut off all in Detroit. Now it appears his stupid ass fell out a window naked and bit his own tongue off. All I can say to that is, we've all been there. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about the story linked in the sidebar about a Muslim in Warrendale claiming he was victim of a hate crime gang beating while others claim only one person pummled him bloody in a next door neighbor dispute ~ http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061129/NEW S01/611290312

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10933
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I believe so far in that story is that the DPD was called 5 times before they showed up.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no matter what side you're on, this story is just 1 example of 10,000 stories a year (number estimated) that feast on detroit's bad image to gain an audience...

it just sucks... screw that...

and for the record, pffft and jtw, though I don't claim to be any "more" a detroit lover than anyone else here (why else would we all be on detroityes! all the time) I am AS MUCH a lover of this city as everyone else here. i'm 23, was raised here, and will live here for the rest of my life... (whether I bite off my tongue and jump from a window at 24, or live to be 128...) - sorry, bad joke...

Speaking of which, I just got a new license plate as a gift that I want to show off on the Detroit connections page when I get the chance to use my camera...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, bite your tongue talkin bout the DPD like that!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate gratuitous Detroit-bashing as much as the next guy, but the reporting here does not really bother me at all, and seems fair. The title only says "Detroit" in small letters above the title, like all of the other local-section stories. The circumstances are bizarre enough that naturally it is going to get played up a bit, no matter the location.

Pffft

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh come on, does loving Detroit mean you go crazy whenever a story about a presumed Detroit crime is published?

The city is bigger than that, and the people who really care for it don't have time to whine over such things.

There are other issues in life other than, did a newspaper story make Detroit look bad.

Dougw

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the MSNBC headline is a bit more sensational: Naked Man Found Wandering Street, Tongue Cut Out

Dougw

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, nothing can hold a candle to this headline: Wild Dog Drags Human Leg from Abandoned Pickle Factory

Pffft

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw...the Pickle Factory headline was amazing.

Then there's the classic New York Post: "Headless Body in Topless Bar"

Pffft

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhhh how could they make New York look so bad! Those meanies!

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5200
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the media treats President Bush and Detroit in the same manner.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a break Karl, you are obviously trying to get a reaction with that moronic comment

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9014
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get angry when someone spells angry "anrgy".

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn, haven't you heard of the term "dateline?" The 4th edition of the American Heritage Dictionary states that it is "A phrase at the beginning of a newspaper or magazine article that gives the date and the place of the origin of the article."

The Free Press has merely combined the dateline with the local geographic category that the article fits. "DETROIT" is simply part of the template for any news blurb from Detroit. If it had happened elsewhere, that locale's name would have been above the title. See this example: "OAKLAND COUNTY Troy man is ordered out of home" http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061130/NEW S03/611300351/1005/NEWS

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Give me a break Karl, you are obviously trying to get a reaction with that moronic comment

Looks like he already did...

Dougw

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(I admit that I embellished the pickle factory headline a bit from what is actually on the Channel 4 site, but my version of the headline is still accurate.)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press has merely combined the dateline with the local geographic category that the article fits. "DETROIT" is simply part of the template for any news blurb from Detroit. If it had happened elsewhere, that locale's name would have been above the title. See this example: "OAKLAND COUNTY Troy man is ordered out of home" http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061130/NEW S03/611300351/1005/NEWS

Bingo. I wrote the headline. And, as someone who is smitten with the heart of the Mitten, I can tell you no malice was intended. The story happened IN DETROIT, that's why it says Detroit in what we call a "kicker" or "label." If a Detroit man had done this in Sterling Heights, the label would have said Sterling Heights instead.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.