Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Maddie Trudel/ Freep article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4043
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truly a touching article in the Free Press of this brave little girl that just passed away from cancer. Absolutely amazing strength on her father's part as well. For a person that wasn't on this planet that long, she seemed to touch quite a few people.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061129/NEW S99/61129044

There should be more articles of this nature written about our human compassion and strength for one another. Jeff Seidel wrote a very compelling story about Maddie and the others that are going through this sort of trauma. Bravo to Jeff and condolences to the people that were touched by Maddie.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been following this series of articles, as they have done many stories on her. Very touching article. Quite a sad situation

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is a human being out there that isn't saddened after reading about the loss of Maddie, but it is also inspiring to hear about her father, Paul- and his strength in the face of it all.

Maddie's at peace with the Lord. It's the rest of us down here that have to cope with our losses. I sincerely hope that her father Paul continues to stay strong and moves forward in a productive way.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reading the series of articles about Maddie and her father it really makes you take a look at your own life and realize that all the things that you consider problems in your daily life, are probably pretty trivial compared to what this little girl and her father have been through over the past several years.

(Message edited by Jfre66_77 on November 30, 2006)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read all the Maddie articles as well. They pull at my heartstrings. Her Father fought for her and now he is all alone. I felt a little prying, too. Grief is something so private.

That said, this series was the third in recent memory that "pulled at my heartstrings': I wonder if there is anything to that. Do the dailies run these very sad stories because readers prefer them to news? Is is easier to sell papers with these stories? Just asking.

The other series about people dying were:

Last year's story series about the young mother whose husband is a Detroit fire fighter

The man with Lou Gehrig's disease who fought so hard. His wife married him knowing. He lived in local nursing home. Somehow they got divorced, but she was still there for him. Maybe two years ago.

Do you spot a trend?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a journalist, I might be biased.
This is just my opinion, and NOT the opinion of my employer.
I think newspapers do these stories for a simple reason: People want to read about real stories about real people. That series was well-written, but it told the story of an incredible little girl that no one would have known about otherwise. I think there is a degree of helping out the father, through compassion and possibly donations - a public service element. And lastly, I think it offers a nice break from the day-after-day monotony of the war in Iraq, the Mideast conflict and a struggling state economy.
I'd be interested to see how many more people read about Maddie than about the lastest violence in Baghdad.
Again, just my thoughts as someone in this dying profession that I love the hell out of.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read every one of those as they came out. Each time I shed tears.

I found that a company such as Maddie's father's one still exists in this world. I found that people out there actually gave a $h!t for people, too often I feel jaded by those around me whom are either looking for hand outs or those that refuse to help their fellow man.

I read about Maddie and Baghdad. I found Maddie to give me some hope amongst a lot of dispair that is out there.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on December 02, 2006)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Real stories about real people"...

Yeah isn't the Gannett term "real life real news" ...and it's the cause of a lot of very bad journalism ...along with the "Moments of Life" calendar. It's all like a Hallmark card, not like real journalism.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hallmark cards and the commercials sometimes make me cry.....

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah isn't the Gannett term "real life real news" ...and it's the cause of a lot of very bad journalism ...along with the "Moments of Life" calendar. It's all like a Hallmark card, not like real journalism.

Pffft, I have no comment on a public forum. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.