Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » CMU vs Ohio tonight at Ford Field « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10947
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder as these two colleges invade Detroit tonight to battle for the MAC Championship. I know there are quite a few fellow Chippewas on here and was wondering if many planned on attending tonight?

I figure I'll get down there a few hours early and hit up a close-by bar, probably Cheli's. I'll be curious to see if downtown will feel like a college town tonight, or whether the game being on a Thursday night will affect attendance. Hell, when I was in college I only had a Friday class two semesters over 5 years, so I doubt it'll be an issue for most.

On a side note, CMU has accepted their bid to play in the Motor City Bowl on December 26th as well, against an as yet to be determined opponent.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire up Chips!! I'll be there tonight.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does Central travel? I've only experienced Western-Central weekend, where attendance at the game doesn't necessarily reflect how many people made the trip...but I'd imagine a championship/bowl game would have students and alumni a bit more focused on the task at hand.

Ohio U is quite a trip from Detroit, I'm sure that may affect attendance a bit.

(Message edited by focusonthed on November 30, 2006)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be in front of the TV wearing my maroon and gold marching band jacket, drinking the cheapest beer I can find (to remind me of old times).

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far out of 28 kids in my class, I know of about 12 that are making the trip down. There's a pretty big buzz about it on campus, and I think we'll be pretty well represented tonight. Fire Up Chips!!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that Ohio U is about 3.5 hours, and CMU is about 2.5 hours.....Not that much difference.....

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10950
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andyguard73,

I suspect that most all students will be partying afterwards? I'll be wearing my pleather CMU jacket, courtesy of Steve and Barry's from a few years back.

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what bar will turn into the "Wayside" Detroit for the evening. Wish I could go and party will all the other CMU people. Fire up Chips!

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll guess the actual attendance (turnstile count) will be say 15 - 18K. Stories have Central selling out their allotment of 7K tixs.

I suspect there will be say 3 - 4K Ohio fans.

I also suspect that there will be a large Central walk up crowd of alums in the Detroit area who will not buy their tixs through CMU.

Anything over 20K would be great.

A crowd of 15 - 20K is enough to support big crowds in the watering holes like Chelios, Elwood, Hockeytown, etc.

When does Detroit get a Hooters or ESPN SportsZone or both? (too bad Detroit didn't have them for the Super Bowl and the Tigs World Series run).

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why was Central only alloted 7k seats in a stadium thats seats 65k? There cannot be that many corporate/sponsor tickets needed...

Thats too bad...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is more or less based on expected sales.

I believe they'll reserve a couple end zone and corner sections for CMU students and then say 3 or 4 sideline sections for non-student tix buyers.

For the MAC Championship game they will not even sell tixs in the upper bowl.

I hope I'm wrong and say 25K+ show up bolstered by a lot of locals getting their tixs through local sponsors such as the car companies, etc.

25K in the lower bowl would be impressive looking.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most I know drove and will be staying in the city tonight to have a good time. The school did sell out ticket packages for 9 buses down to Ford Field and those will all be coming back tonight. I had plans to go until a prof dropped another assignment on us. Watching the game at O'Kelly's isn't too bad a consolation, I guess. By the way, I would expect a much larger group of CMU fans than what will show up tonight for the Motor City Bowl. I know a lot of students like me who would have gone in a heart beat if it weren't for class who are planning on heading to the D for the bowl game.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Showin some nice pics of the city on ESPN right now...

Emu_steve

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN doing a very, very good job (they've done so many Motor City Bowls and MAC Championships that they know the city). [not to mention that FB game that was played at Ford Field in Feb.]

Very nice crowd.

Central really showed up.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the MAC Championship game a few years ago when it was Miami vs. Toledo. It was a good time. The broadcast is good.

Go Elks!

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow-didn't realize there are so many of my fellow Chippewas here!!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minor threadjack here...How is it that CMU already has a bowl invite to the Motor City Bowl? I thought the winner of tonight's game was the MAC rep for the bowl game. If Ohio U wins, where do they go?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Associated Press

ATHENS, Ohio -- Ohio accepted a bid to play in the GMAC Bowl, its third bowl appearance and first in nearly four decades.

The Bobcats (9-3) will play the loser of Friday's Conference USA championship game between Houston and Southern Mississippi on Jan. 7 in Mobile, Ala.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/ news/story?id=2679631

Andyguard73

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOOOO FIRE UP CHIPS!!! MAC Champs!

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 430
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire up Chips!.....and um, bring on the Blue Raiders.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--- Was at the game last night 8 rows off the endzone. FIRE UP CHIPS. Great to see all the college kids in downtown last night. We are tailgateing for the MotorCity bowl on December 26th. We are trying to get as many people as possible. I will update time date and location at a later date!!!
Great game last night by the way. FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE CHIPS WOULD GIVE THE LIONS A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.