Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Snit ensues over parking spot « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snit ensues over parking spot
'We ... don't do that in Birmingham'

December 1, 2006

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Shelley Goodman Taub
Another Detroit-suburban clash has surfaced, this time in downtown Birmingham over, of all things, a parking space.

Like in Detroit, it's not unusual to hunt for a space on the street in downtown Birmingham.

So when state Rep. Shelley Goodman Taub, R-Bloomfield Hills, went to get her nails done Nov. 17, she wasn't surprised that it took three passes to find a spot on Old Woodward.

What did surprise her was the woman on the street holding a space with an orange traffic cone.

"I rolled down my window and said, 'We really don't do that in Birmingham. Did you put the cone there?' " Taub said Thursday.

The woman said yes and that she worked for Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's executive protection unit. Within minutes, she was moving the cone so a city-owned Ford Expedition carrying Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita, and a bodyguard could park in front of Roma Sposa, a high-end boutique where Kilpatrick was going for a photo shoot.

"They were out there on taxpayer money saving a spot," Taub said. "Holy moly, what arrogance."

Matt Allen, a spokesman for Mayor Kilpatrick, said Thursday that Carlita Kilpatrick had gone to the salon for a fitting and makeup session for Hour Detroit, which plans to preview the auto show charity gala for its January issue.

"She was there to promote the single largest charity event of the year," he said.

He said the officer was holding the space so she would get to the shoot on time. But he said whenever Carlita Kilpatrick attends a public event, an officer from the executive protection unit will check the venue first.

"The holding of a parking space is the last thing they do," he said. "Part of their job is to make sure ... people are not coming in willy nilly."

He questioned why Taub would raise a fuss, suggesting it had more to do with her attitude toward Detroit.

Taub said Kilpatrick should have made arrangements with the city beforehand.

Birmingham's Deputy Police Chief Don Studt said the city sells celebrities a bag to put over a parking meter for $10 a day. Last week, a top-ranking Israeli official had one. "It's not a big deal," said Studt. "Certainly, we don't like people standing in front of a store holding a space
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061201/NEW S03/612010397/1005

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Within minutes, she was moving the cone so a city-owned Ford Expedition carrying Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita, and a bodyguard could park in front of Roma Sposa

------------------------------ -------

The mayors' wife has a body guard?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7301
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a rough world north of 8 Mile, ain't nuthin' like down here.

I go to this Birmingham once every six weeks, and had my car broken into in Bloomfield Hills. You don't want to go there, they have crime.

They're just talking about the member of the mayor's posse that goes out for this stuff, not about any other bodyguards.

I just didn't know there were any females that played football at Cass.

The big-headed boys prolly have a few, too. You know, so somebody will play with them.

Janesback

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess nowadays it can be necessary under certain circumstances. Maybe with the time playing a factor in her schedule, they didn't have time to deal with the parking issue.

I think Mayor Bloomberg of N.Y has one (bodyguard) in certain situations. Hes a millionaire as well, so that could play into it.. Again , Thanks for your reply Ganon. Jane :-)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could she not have been dropped off in front of the store?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cost of security for the Mayor and his family is scandalous. There is no reason his wife and children should be provided bodyguards at city expense. If Kwame thinks his job poses such a threat to his family then he should be in another line of work.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, at least it was a cone and not a folding chair...

Gannon

Post Number: 7307
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think the bodyguards are expensive...can we see the receipt for that cone?!

IT is probably in some lease buyback program from one of his construction buddies.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe with the time playing a factor in her schedule, they didn't have time to deal with the parking issue." Who DOES have time to deal with parking issues? Get over it. I'm sick of this bitch acting like royalty.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny...I work out here (well bloomfield hills) and as much as I detest the area and have fun making fun of Birmingham B$#%es and As$$%es, I do spend time there for lunches, meetings etc. It's not irregular to see a cone at a parking meter...and to be perfectly honest, I go to Birmingham with the attitude I'm going to have to park in a garage and walk...if there's a spot on the street, then Bonus for me.

While I don't condone saving a spot for the mayor's wife for just anything, it sounds like she was on a mission or on-the-job. The fact that she was trying to be punctual actually impresses me.

What's truly amazing is that this is a story. Sounds like Taub is a spoiled, immature Birmingham Fancypants who's just in a snit because the space wasn't being saved for her. Come on...she took three passes to find a spot on the street? What an idiot. Park in a garage you lazy, pompous woman. Seriously...this is such a big issue? Get over yourself Taub.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just another reason why the leaders of Detroit are self loathing jokes....Who the hell does Kwame and his family think they are? Who is posing a threat to the mayor of Detroit that merits all this protection? This is yet another reason why Detroit and Kwame are a laughing stock across the nation. As a former employer in the US Senate for a Democrat, I can tell you that with in the party, nobody takes him seriously and looks at the situation as a liability…………These are the unnecessary expenses that a city who can’t pay to keep parks open and police on the street need to get rid of. Do other cities have this? We have talked about this before and the answer is no…….Please, somebody credible run against this clown in 08.

Gannon

Post Number: 7309
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is like Homeland Security.

You'll never know how effective they are until they go away.

Isn't that like trying to prove a negative?!

Plus, 'credible' doesn't seem to work in politics...Detroit or otherwise. It is so passe.

Wash_man

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While I don't condone saving a spot for the mayor's wife for just anything, it sounds like she was on a mission or on-the-job. The fact that she was trying to be punctual actually impresses me."

Aren't all people looking for parking on a mission or on the job? Who parks just for the fun of it? Isn't being punctual part of being an adult? She should have driven herself there, found the nearest spot, and walked the rest of the way like everybody else. BTW why couldn't this event have taken place in Detroit?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the mayor's wife actually on the job? Is being the wife of the mayor of Detroit a job or is it a "status"? From what I understand, the basic premise of the rule of law is that it applies to all equally. How can the mayor of Detroit's wife expect special privileges outside (or inside...) the city of Detroit? What would be the legal basis for such privileges?

Of course, it may not violate any by-laws to hold a space in that manner (I wouldn't know).

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Quinn.
"We really don't do that in Birmingham" is so full of snootiness and exclusiveness. Made me roll my eyes while reading it.
I have to wonder if Goodman Taub was on the clock herself? And has she herself never taken advantage of any privileges of office?

Pick your battles! This ain't one of 'em.

Gannon

Post Number: 7310
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can just BET that it will be an issue at the next Bahminghaam city council meeting.

The next week, it'll be a law.

Next time, they'll hold her in the drunk tank.

She'll never see it coming, yanno, not expecting government to stop arguing about something in council for a year before finally convening a committee to study the matter. Law?! Don't you know who the fuck SHE is?!

We think that war with Livonia was tough?! Wait until there is REAL provocation.

Wash_man

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ms. Beattie should go to B'ham and kick some ass.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen that on the news yesterday. What an FN joke man. When are the people of Detroit gonna wake up? They elected this asshole and his crew who think they are freakin royalty!

Gannon

Post Number: 7314
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't piss 'em off, they won't let all their horses and men put you back together again.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Birmingham's Deputy Police Chief Don Studt said the city sells celebrities a bag to put over a parking meter for $10 a day."

Ten dollars a day? Isn't part of the enjoyment of being a celebrity the fact that you can afford things that the average slob can't? It's almost like your insulting a celebrity by charging them $10 a day. It should be $250-500 a day, make them feel really important.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I'm in town I'm gonna drop a Hamilton like a celeb and hood a meter of my own in B'ham just like Mick Jagger or Madonna. Imagine your own personal street spot offa Pierce ... living large in the OC!

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is nothing more another way for suburban folk to turn their collective noses up on Detroit. Seriously, in any REGION wouldn't you expect the mayor/mayor's family of the LARGEST CITY to receive parking priveledges? Of course shes not going to walk three blocks, shes the mayor's wife. But yet this surprises people, like a blowjob in the oval office. Ask yourself a question, would a similar fuss be made if the person holding the spot, and the person in the car, was white?

"Holy moly, what arrogance."

(Message edited by chow on December 01, 2006)

Gannon

Post Number: 7315
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that ten bucks buys a whole day...it's a steal.

That office is sure to get a rush of regular B'ham folk who THINK they're celebrities...all week.

It'll be closed down, or $300 after the NEXT B'haam council meeting.

These things take time.

Hour 'Detroit' is in Royal Oak, if they haven't moved.

Gannon

Post Number: 7316
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get exclusive rights to blowjobs when you get elected?!

That explains a lot...

Wash_man

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is not a celebrity by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe in her eyes, but that's it. And yes, saving a spot for the GOVERNOR of our state would be acceptable. She's (mrs.k) a nobody and should start realizing it soon. Maybe a ride on the SMART bus would have been a better idea.

Gannon

Post Number: 7317
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chow!

You ruined my joke...heh.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My objection is not to the saving of the parking spot, it is to the cost of the salary of the woman saving it. The City of Detroit can not afford such things.

Gannon

Post Number: 7320
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just know some of the majority 'type' that gravitate to that city.

I've sold them hifi for years...the focus group would be centered those capable of doing business with Rick Howard of the Gramophone more than twice...so my survey is decidedly biased towards those with abnormally inflated egos.

They're not rare there.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn hit the nail on the head. Taub exposed herself as a politicized bigot. This incident got into the news because this politician sought out the media. A reporter didn't just happen to be walking by. It is absolutely certain that her reaction would have been much different if a staffer for Speaker Craig DeRoche (R-Novi) had been saving the spot for that busy legislator. The same would apply if former mayor, now citizen, Rudy Giuliani was in town and doing the same thing.

I fully agree that the city has wasted millions of dollars on "executive protection" for the mayor and his family. Mrs. Kilpatrick needs protection no more than does the husband of Terri Lynn Land or the wife of Senator Carl Levin. If the Kilpatrick kids need supervision or transportation that the parents can't provide because of other commitments, then the parents should pay for it.

Having said that, there would have been no media attention to this incident if it had not involved a black Detroit Democrat.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Race has nothing to do with this. I can't believe that this guy got re-elected. The excuses some of you come up with are comical.

If Craig DeRoche's wife had a bodyguard accompany her everywhere and another bodyguard that went to locations ahead of time to save parking spots, I'm pretty sure that there would be some negative media attention.

Janesback

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of makes you afraid of Detroit after hearing that the mayor , his wife and children of his own city need protection to keep them safe....

Im not implying that it is unsafe, just sends the world a mixed signal. It gives you an uneasy feeling........ Just my opinion....thanks, Jane

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sorta agree with Swingline and Quinn... if this were Dan Mulhern (sp?) the husband of the Governor, or say Mrs. Levin, it wouldn't be such a big deal? And besides we all love to pick on Carlita ever since she supposedly bitch slapped that stripper at the Manoogian! :-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Janesback - the Mayor of a city should be respected and protected by the inhabitants of his city. Not dissed and threatened to the point of having a security force. The majority of people in Detroit voted for him, so you would think that Kwame would actually be protected already from any bad guys by the amount of love surrounding him and his family.
Now, if he's a crook and is dragging an almost dead city to a certain death at the bottom of the river.........I guess I would be scared too.

Gannon

Post Number: 7329
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no secret why all of our government buildings are fortresses (both here and abroad)...the most hated ones, or perhaps the ones that KNOW they are doing the most wrong are usually the highest security.

Occasionally, they are just in a bad neighborhood.

Heh.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe the number of you turning this into a race issue,its a money issue and an issue of Mrs Mayor thinking she is too good to get somewhere on time and too important to walk anywhere like everyone else. All of you thinking that Taub is a racist because of this have some screws loose

Janesback

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo, seems youre the one whos making this a race issue. I think you need to check yourself, we were just discussing the reasons why she acted the way she did, as well as the original person who secured the parking space. Sheese Miss Cleo, leave the race card outside , will ya?

Wash_man

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Race was brought up in this discussion long before Miss Cleo's post. Get off her back.

Gannon

Post Number: 7335
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was NO race...someone secured the finish line...er, space...with a construction cone.

Heh.

It IS at least a possibility, but I suspect the culprit more likely simple parking envy.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long live the King and his court!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Gannon...
oh, this all is just beyond my caring point. Let the little princess have her moment in the sun. Life is short, and I have to go do my monthly books. Darn it, responsibilities!

Maybe everyone could yell at each other for the next couple of hours and when I come back I will have some juicy stuff to entertain me!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the time Lizzie Grubman backed her Mercedes Benz SUV into a crowded Easthampton night club parking lot running over people and screaming 'you're white trash' out the window.

Classy

Toledolaw05
Username: Toledolaw05

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is she going to a salon in downtown Birmingham and using Detroit tax payer money? There are wig and nail places on every corner in the D where she can get a makeover. I guess K doesn't thing the D has any place that can make his wife look good.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback, get a clue!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the recognition will warrant the cone in most cases.

Rudy G - coneworthy
Lady K - take the bus or drop her off.....c'mon

I wonder how many homeless people could have had a meal in place of the $$$ spent to have a parking spot for Lady K?

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there NO high-end photography studios in the city this woman could be (should be) patronizing?

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is, parking is "first come, first served," and no private citizen should have the right or ability to remove a parking spot from public use unless using it to park a car.

If the mayor's wife wanted to deprive some other citizen of a parking spot even though she wasn't at the time using it, she should have had the City of Birmingham grant her the privilege and isolate the spot for her.

I'd have parked there, cone or not.

Anyone who thinks race has any bearing on the issue should get a life. Jerks come in all races and creeds.

Gannon

Post Number: 7345
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld,

Not so much the cone, but the officer 'manning' it...now, if you ran her over while on duty...would it be assault on an officer, or just assault with a vehicle?!

I mean, heck, she was WAY out of her jurisdiction.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into Dennis Archer, when he was Mayor, at the Airport one time. He had one "aide" with him, but that was it. I really don't see the need for all this security, especially with the financial condition of the City. Lets be honest - how dangerous is Birmingham??

Gannon

Post Number: 7346
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura67,

It was a high-end salon, not a photography studio.

Likely they paid for a big ad...or a series of them throughout the year, so the photo shoot was 'aimed' there as a nice back-pat...or it was part of the ad contract.

Jeez, nobody is getting to the real culprits, those Hour Detroit logistics people. They're the ones who are supposed to 'handle' the talent's odd needs...like the inability to walk any distance to their destination. Sounds like they need to bone up on the American's with Disabilities Act.

Surely we can find some handicap Carlita qualifies for...could even be some new extreme physical Tourette's-like thing that fires when she sees prostitutes at a party.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Birminghamites are too busy looking for overpriced clothes, fashionable hair/tanning salons and seeing how they look in the mirror. Generally Carlitas' appearance wouldnt make a difference to anyone,,, she doesn't really matter to the average northwest suburbanite,, Sounds like another example of someone thinking they are more important than they really are.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on December 02, 2006)

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 339
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I rolled down my window and said, 'We really don't do that in Birmingham. Did you put the cone there?'

Marie Anntionette would be proud, while an average Joe or Jane would simply ask "what are you doing with that cone?"

This shouldn't have gone further than associates at a cocktail party, and most certainly not in the newspaper. What has this accomplished? Nothing for Carlita/Kwame because both have been called Ghetto Royalty numerious times. For Taub, it shows childish behavior in a leader. "Look mommy Free Press, she took my parking space!" We, as adults, certainly don't have fits over parking spaces.

Oh well, Welcome to Metro Detroit, where politicians (and their wives) spend time fighting over parking spaces rather than fixing the economy.

Gannon

Post Number: 7347
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You...you...planetist.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are there NO high-end photography studios in the city this woman could be (should be) patronizing?

best post on this thread - no responses - go figure

Wash_man

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Run the bitches over!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""What about this woman said to Taub that she wasn't from Birmingham, hmm? It was because the woman is Black.""

I couldn't find in the story any mention of the woman's race. Maybe she's black, maybe she isn't. There may have been other clues that the woman was unfamiliar with Birmingham's standard operating procedures (like the fact she was holding a parking spot with a cone).

I wouldn't want L. Brooks coming into Detroit and commandeering parking spaces in this fashion. It would seem the height of arrogance and entitlement to expect such privilege outside his constituency. The resources expended on the EPU don't jibe with the economic reality of the city.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That decision was made by Hour Detroit.

...and actually there are not that many high-end studios within the City. A lot of good photographers but studio overhead is a bitch, especially high-end without constant usage.

Even in NY many top-level photographers' studios are available for rent by others to justify the costs.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 528
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma Sposa is not a photographic studio.

http://www.romasposa.com/

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "It's not a big deal,"

My sentiments exactly......

Gannon

Post Number: 7349
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,

You said:

quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

best post on this thread - no responses - go figure

You apparently skip my posts.

This is the first part of my reply above, so you don't have to risk effort on that scroll wheel.

quote:

It was a high-end salon, not a photography studio.

Likely they paid for a big ad...or a series of them throughout the year, so the photo shoot was 'aimed' there as a nice back-pat...or it was part of the ad contract.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something's seriously out of whack when an 89 year-old multi-billionaire like Kirk Kerkorian doesn't need a body guard or a driver but the wife of the Mayor of a cash-strapped city thinks she does.

quote:

Every day, [Kerkorian] drives himself in his Jeep Cherokee to his Beverly Hills office, a nondescript suite where he runs $10 billion in assets with a few longtime aides. He uses no bodyguards. Among his favorite lunch spots is the Boulevard, where he nibbles salmon ("Not too big of a piece") and sips green tea. He doesn't use credit cards and buys clothes only about once a year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/ SB116502829284638841.html?mod= home_whats_news_us

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm back. Monthly bookkeeping is a b@^*h!
You guys would be fun at a cocktail party!
Of course, there would be a three drink max!
Please, continue!

Lilpup

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read your response, Gannon, but it doesn't answer the question asked.

Realistically how much effort does the city make to keep its spending IN the city?

Gannon

Post Number: 7354
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a nonsensical question...incorrectly framed because she wasn't GOING to a photography studio.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all fairness this 'reserving a parking spot by putting some kind of marker or furniture in it' isn't uncommon in some East Coast cities. My first assumption would've been she wasn't from Michigan since I haven't encountered this kind of dibs claiming here.

Gannon

Post Number: 7358
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When it snows deep, you betcha we put chairs in the spots we shovel out.

Don't you dare, momma'll take your head off...heh.

But yeah, other than that...you've got a point.

I think she was wearing one of Christine Beatty's exclusive new 'DoYouKnowWhoTheFuckIam' line of fine lady's access..., er, bling.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't take much brain-power to realize that it was the color of her skin that made Taub think she wasn't from Birmingham.

This has got to be one of the most moronic statements I have read on this subject.

Could it be possible that Taubman was just upset on her having to pass up an avaliable space that was being *held* for someone? Ya gotta dig deep to play the race card here and some of you have your shovels out!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And meanwhile, if you live in a city with no African American people living in it, you would notice an African American person.
Conversely, if you lived in a city with no European American citizens living in it, you would notice a European American person.
Eyesight.
Black and white. It's a noticeable difference.
So what? It's noticeable. Notice it and dig it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.