Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » ``Im from the D`` « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dede313
Username: Dede313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am temporarily living in Kentucky. Supposedly i have an accent, i am always asked ``where are you from?`` i respond i from Detroit... this is equivalent to saying ``im dangerous``,``i just got out of jail`` or ``i probably murdered two people yesterday`` Kentucky really suck though cant wait to come home

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed "i just got out school" wasn't one of your responses.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.michigannative.com/ ma_home.shtml

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 936
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll get that reaction from many more places than just Kentucky when you tell them you're from Detroit. Hell, when I was in Brooklyn I told someone I was from Detroit, and they replied "I hear it's really dangerous there".

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9021
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The spelling and the grammar of the post are tell-tale signs that "i just got out of school" meant his schooling probably ended about the 9th grade.

Dede313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is yall talking about me spelling for?

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, after reading some of the website listed above I now have a complex. Hmmph!

Dede313

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I type really fast and everything is spelled correctly but my sentences are messy..if they are even sentences

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a secret organization on this forum, it's called the Grammar and Spelling Police. They like to take threads completely off topic just so that they can rant about poor spelling and make fun of the writer.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

(Message edited by ghetto_butterfly on December 01, 2006)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funniest thread in a year! Thanks!

btw, I live in Germany and when I tell people I am from Detroit they say, "Isn't that the Motor city?" quite cool. They all want to come and visit. I love it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7341
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work it when people ask me why I moved back to Detroit from Los Angeles...and why I moved downtown.

I've perfected my straight-face delivery of quips like, "I shoot back, and am a much better shot."

or, "Dangerous?! You get used to it."

or, "I drive a manual. They jack automatics."

For my suburban Detroit clients, "I've met many of the drug runners in my neighborhood, they're easy to spot. Didn't want them thinking I was the Po-po, you know. Took a few months and a major investment, but I'm cool with them now."

The doe-eyed stares are so precious.

I usually give it a moment or two to sink in...then tell them I'm just kidding, I think.

Might be some poker in my future after all.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't "conform" to the Detroit stereotype, sometimes they'll ask you "Oh, what SUBURB are you from?"

(Message edited by The Nerd on December 01, 2006)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When someone asks me if it's dangerous I usually reply "yeah, you get tired of shovelling corpses off your driveway every morning"... and then they see how foolish their question was.... :-)

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go up north for work a lot and have gotten used to people telling me what an idiot I am for living in the Metro Detroit area. I usually tell them that they should be glad I live here so I don't come up there and ruin their "pristine" areas. Up north ain't all nature and beauty. There are some real slack-jawed yokels up there. But I would never tell them that they're idiots for living up there. That would be rude!

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Up north ain't all nature and beauty. There are some real slack-jawed yokels up there.

Miss Cleo?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in the Ozarks I wear a t-shirt (bought in Detroit) that says: DETROIT:
Where the weak are killed and eaten.
It is my favorite piece of clothing EVER!!!
Gets a comment all the time!
Do you think I would be hated for wearing it in the D?

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An elderly neighbor told me an interesting story. In 1940's,he stopped in a small town in Nevada or Utah on the way to California. The went to the local bar for bit to eat and a game of pool. When the locals asked them where they were from they said:"Detroit". The locals all quietly left the bar thinking they were gangsters from Detroit trying to hustle them.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 802
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not to thread jack, but DETROITDUO ill be in germany in 3 weeks any cities you recommend in the west/northwest side to visit.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 765
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Steelworker. Yea, although I haven't visited the N/NW parts, yet. I live in the "deep" south (on the Austrian/Swiss border). Many people I work with are from Hamburg and they all rave about the town. Also, don't miss Cologne. It's a fantastic city.

I think the best suggestion (since I haven't been to these parts, myself) is that you get a "green guide". The Green Guide is an excellent reference and you can get them at about any Bookstore (Border's downtown had a few last time I was in there).

Christmas time in Germany (especially the south) is fantastic. Every weekend there's a Christmas festival in just about every town. Drinking Gluehwein and eating wuerstl and generally hanging around and shopping at the stands it a great tradition. I hope you have a good time! We will be skiing..... :-)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in the Ozarks I wear a t-shirt (bought in Detroit) that says: DETROIT:
Where the weak are killed and eaten.

And why, may I ask, would you help to perpetuate that bullshit reputation if you truly love (or at least like) the city?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time I was in Manhattan I got the "OMG youre from Detroit??" reaction from guys. S'funny.

A friend from Melbourne Australia, Andy, came to Detroit recently on a tour of the USA to visit. Never met him in person, but he came here as a result of reading about the city on my website and on Dyes. (He was very impressed by Detroit btw, had a great time showing him around)

I asked him about our accents compared to the rest of the country. He'd already been on the west coast, down south and out in DC on the east coast. He said that our accents were a bit thicker and at times harder to follow than the other places. In restaurants whenever he ordered a "Coke" for some reason he invariably was served a Dr. Pepper - hahaha !

His accent was not any of the stereotypical Aussie ones we hear in movies, but in spite of that I teased him good- saying annoying things like "crikey" and "shrimp on the bar-B". I also tried my best to ruin his urbane accent with our harsh midwest twang, repeating nasal things like "maaaaahm" and "daaaaad" and would you like to drink some "paaaaahp". Hahahaha !

I love when people in our region think themselves to be "accentless". Yuh - right.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you think I would be hated for wearing it in the D?"

No - but on Dyes, youd better duck and cover !

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family moved to San Jose, CA. in 1976, I was in Jr. High at the time. When asked where I was from I would reply "just outside of Detroit, Michigan.", one kid actually responded with this question, "Do you carry a gun?". I also had a Korean girl in my P.E. class come and ask me for help in "dealing" with a racist white girl who was harassing her, "You are from Detroit, you can help me yes?". One nice advantage of coming from this area, even if you are a passive, quiet type, who has never been in a fight in your life like me, certain ignorant people (just the kind you want to thump) will leave you alone and pick on someone else. Consider yourself lucky DeDe313, these people you speak of are shallow, dumb asses and you are better off having them think you are dangerous! Quietly turn and start walking away next time someone says something about Detroit, then abruptly spin around and yell "BOOOO!", or "BANG!", they'll jump a foot or two off the ground, you'll have a little chuckle and they will feel silly.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a small town, north of the Bay area recently. I was meeting with an old friend I meet through campaign work.
She had some guy there helping her clean elections campaign in CA and when I told him I was from Detroit.

He said "Detroit! What the hell are you doing there?" I said well I don't like to turn my back on a town just because its a little down and besides it needs the positive social change, unlike arguably CA which has a ton of money ect..
He said, "What Detroit needs, is to be bombed."

Luckily for him he was a friend of a friend or he would have his own "Detroit" story.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's kind of a flip side to this topic. My fiance from NY is in Transition in moving here. She has a different accent so when she's here, people are always asking here "where you from"? She replies "Queens", and the next thing out of EVERYBODY'S mouth is "Oh, you must hate it here then". Honestly she knows the good the bad, and the ugly abut Detroit and she loves it (She defends the city like she's been here her whole life ... makes me proud). However people from here are always trying to convince her that she hates it here, and she can't figure why.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Similarly, down here in Charlotte NC (in the Central Piedmont), one of my co-workers is from New York. EVeryone here had the same stereotypical image of Detroit. I began by showing this co-worker some images of Detroit buildings, esp. those from "American City: Detroit Architecture 1845-2005." Long story short, now several of my co-workers are impressed by Detroit and those from NY call it 'Little New York' and actually want to visit Detroit.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, you sure they all don't want to visit because of Detroit's history with techno? =)

Yeah, I got that question once too, asking where I was from. I think I stopped at a small town outside of Biloxi on US-90 (which is probably gone since Katrina) to get some lunch. Without hesitating I asked what kind of pop they had to drink. I never knew a person's head could tilt that far sideways before.

"Yew fruhm ChicaaahGO?"
"Haha, no, just Detroit."
"Oh, cuz I got sum family who lives up ther and he says paop."

She didn't say anything bad about Detroit at all, nor did she take a step back or two when she learned I was from Detroit. All in all, very kind.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10953
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never understood the whole soda vs pop thing. You can call it either name you want and I don't think any different. Yet you say pop down south and you'd think you were speaking a foreign language.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A girlfriend raised in Las Vegas used to rag me for saying "bEattery" instead of "battery." I got back at her for saying "waRsh" instead of "wash." :-)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks, That was a good one, My Fav was, "Detroit Homicide-our day starts when your day ends".
I would not want to "help to perpetuate that bullshit reputation" that the Police will respond that fast?
Besides,I've also seen Both shirts printed for other citys too, Detroit does not have exclusive rights on "Funny"

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hah, the last Michiganders I met went out of their way to tell me they were NOT from Detroit. I told them Detroit was one of the few places I ever get to leave (my) town to visit, and they stopped talking to me as if I told them I had a UFO parked outside.

PS - After previewing my message, I noticed Lowell's spell-check doesn't like 'Michiganders'- am I right here, or is the spell-check?!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithhawk,
Come on, it's funny! No one kills and actually EATS weak people!!! Weak people don't taste good! (ok, you have GOT to know that this post is a joke)
*ducks for cover*

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm aware that it's supposed to be funny, but I see those shirts in Hot Topics or Urban Outfitters or whatever and it just perpetuates such a negative perception about the city. Sure, it has it's problems, but when Atlanta had a higher murder rate than the D, you didn't see people wearing such shirts. I dunno. I'm not trying to be a fuddy-duddy. I'm just saying that if you love the city, why would you help bring it down, ya know?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, man. I'm such an a-hole.
Find me a t-shirt for sale in Detroit that says,
Detroit
Where it's always sunny and friendly people say "HI"!
I will wear that shirt.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can get you one that says "Detroit is for Lovers." :-)
Have you been to the Pure Detroit site? They have lots of shirts.
Link: http://www.puredetroit.com/sho phome.html

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha! No, I just decided that I REALLY want the sunny/friendly shirt! Maybe I could check with the people at those t-shirt stores and see if they'll make one for me! I'll check out the pure site too.
Rhymes, if you knew me you would know that I talk up my hometown waaaaaayyyy more than I wear the weak/eaten shirt. The shirt rocks, though.
Also, you will notice that I use lots of exclamation points. I just can't stop!!! (you're a journalist, does that bug the heck out of you? Seriously, is it annoying?)
I have a cool t-shirt from Ghetto Rags. Does that place still exist? I think it was in Royal Oak.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Fantastic Shirts here too!

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/d etroit

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtop, you are so funny!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk,
You should boycott cafepress.com! They sell the unholy, offensive, morale crushing t-shirt we've been fighting over!
Don't shoot the messenger!:-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny. I always got the sideways stares about being from Detroit when I still lived in Michigan. I always hated going to a store and having them ask your phone number when I'm checking out. As soon as I would say my area code there would be a pause by everyone within earshot.

I've gotten a couple of stupid comments since I left but nothing like when I still lived in Michigan. The worst it has ever gotten is when I had to explain to my coworkers why I say "pop" instead of "soda".

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in GPP and when I was a teenager I would tell other teenagers I met that I lived in Detroit. As soon as you said you lived in Grosse Pointe people assumed you were a snobby, wimpy rich kid, and some were.(or at least I thought they were!)
So you see, I always thought Detroit was cool!
And stereotypes happen because there is a bit of truth to them.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ragtop, maybe you didn't see, but cafepress has a killed/eaten tshirt.
That's why I thought you were being funny!

Detroitduo

Post Number: 766
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal favorite is: Ann Arbor: Where the men are pretty and the women are strong.

Used to be true... dunno anymore.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in a bar in NYC about 3 weeks ago with a few co-workers and the bartender asked where we were from and they were like oh right outside of Detroit, and I was quick to say uh no I live downtown...downtown Detroit. And the bartender replied with the old "keeping real." I said hell yeah.
:-)
I almost kicked one of the girls I was travelling with when in the airport we met a man from Switzerland, a filmaker, who was flying from NY to Detroit and then connecting on to LA, he asked where we were going and we said Detroit and she said to him something along the lines that you have to drive 2hours outside of the airport if you want to see anything nice. I yelled are you kidding me???? She lives in New Baltimore. I find sometimes its the people that live among us that hurt us the most !!!!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was just showing insecurity. And yeah, you're right.

Dede313

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have anyone ever noticed how the end sound of are words are distinguished?
examples..say TALK you will hear the ALK say BOY you will hear OY and we make our word rhyme in Detroit too downtown(it rhymes when u say it) i never noticed that untill i moved!!funny

Dede313

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have anyone ever noticed how the end sound of are words are distinguished?
examples..say TALK you will hear the ALK say BOY you will hear OY and we make our words rhyme in Detroit too ``downtown``(it rhymes when u say it) i never noticed that untill i moved!!funny

Cjamese
Username: Cjamese

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was born and raised on the eastside of Detroit. It always amazed me how people stereotype this city. I have been asked, do you carry a gun, have you seen someone get killed before, etc. etc. The worst part is some of these ignorant questions came from people who live in the suburbs of Detroit! In case you don't get it the answer is no to both questions.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first I had no problem being quick on the draw coming to the D's defense (or as my friend calls it D-fense). But you know, I get faaaaaaaar more schitt from people since I moved back to the Mitten. When I lived in NYC, nobody questioned me when I said I wanted to move back to Detroit. When I lived in Seattle, there were some people who thought I was crazy to leave the Emerald City, but not for safety reasons.
But here, my God. I'm getting downright sick of it, to be honest. And I guess that's why I've been so snippy on here lately with the people who keep bashing. So perhaps I owe some apologies.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was having my taxes done, 1979. Doris asks how long I've been out in Ca from Mi. Never seen or talked to her before. She lived in Mt.Clemens for 20 years. I'd been on the Left Coast for about three years. There is a Michigan accent, I can hear it listening to Limbaugh, "Tracy from Grosse Pointe", go ahead.

Out here, when I say I'm from DETROIT, they say, that's a good place to be away from. True, but I wish it wasn't.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 316
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but are you from detroit?

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am. That's reality.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you are thats cool..I just assumed your screen name pointed towards one of Detroit's friendly neighbors to the east

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a not so friendly neighbor to the north. F_W and the D have "Issues". When Mayor, Coleman A. Young, told the feral element to hit 8 Mile Road, that kind of started it. I know the leftys on DY will disagree.

I was born in the D, lived in F_W since 1954. Well, actually 1976, when I split to cali.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10972
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But here, my God. I'm getting downright sick of it, to be honest. And I guess that's why I've been so snippy on here lately with the people who keep bashing. So perhaps I owe some apologies.

Say your sorry to people who were bashing your city? That sounds like some lazy ass sort of D-fense to me, would that be considered zone D-fense?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 633
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan residents are definitely the worst when it comes to un-informed stereotypes about living in Detroit. Yet, there are periods when I think that the stereotypes are fading and that Michiganders are slowly beginning to open their eyes to the fact that Detroit has assets that can benefit the whole state.

Then, there are times like last week at an event in Macomb County when I meet a middle aged, successful, college educated woman from mid-Michigan who upon learning where I reside, doesn't ask about where the neighborhood is located or the kind of house or anything like that. Instead, she immediately inquires whether it is safe to go outside. I was more saddened than offended.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the same way when I lived in Charleston SC. People always asked me if I had a gun...sometimes I said...I won't tell

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming from GR on the west side, I can tell you a lot of folks over there are pretty much 100% ignoramuses when it comes to Detroit. Moreover, if that creepy amway wooden shoe huckster would've been elected Guv, you would've seen Detroit pretty much get flushed down the terlit as far as Lansing is concerned. This does not mean everyone is ignorant, but many are and dont care...they will zip in and out for major sporting events and the like, but many west siders feel just as close or closer to Chicago than Detroit.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone from the Saginaw Valley, I can say most people know nothing of Detroit. That included me until I moved here. I love it but so many people were just baffled when I told them I was moving it was very odd. Everyone was like are you crazy or I hope you don't get shot. It was quite funny because I was going to Detroit to get away from the people that said things like that.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you would've seen Detroit pretty much get flushed down the terlit as far as Lansing is concerned"

Maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe it's time Detroit started being a little more independent.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting comments. I have lived in the DC area for ten years and very rarely have I heard asinine or ignorant comments when I say I'm from Detroit. More often than not, people express indifference or sometimes ask me pityingly if I'm a Lions fan. (Unfortunately the answer is yes.)

If anything, they will genuinely ask what Detroit is like because it does not appear the city is a tourist attraction. (Yet.) On the rare occasions I have received disparaging remarks, I kindly set them straight by describing all the positive things about the city. Whatever the case, I always put in a good word (or hundred) about the D and strongly encourage people to go downtown if they're ever in the Metro area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.