Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » If a tree falls in Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tree fell near my house in today's high winds. It is on the public side of the sidewalk and not on the homeowner's property, per se.
Anyone want to wager how long it takes to be hacked up and hauled away?
I do not own a chain saw, nor a regular saw or ax for that matter, or I'd do it myself.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7188
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call 311. If you don't get any action within a reasonable time, post here.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good luck

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7189
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rawk, I'm told that Detroit Forestry worked overtime yesterday to clear 38 trees felled by the winds. Was one of these yours? If not, give 311 a call, although I'm not sure if they're open all weekend.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, it's still there. I'll wait till Monday to call. And can you call 311 from a cell phone? I don't have a land line. Guess I've never had a reason to dial it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang a "free firewood" sign on it. Can't hurt.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a sign that says "Free copper piping."

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copper-colored spray paint. There's the ticket.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free copper piping! That's rich!!!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the tree still there?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10996
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By ordinance, each property owner is responsible for keeping one–half of his/her alley, entire sidewalk and one–half of the abutting street clear of debris and litter. The property owner is also required to keep his/her property cleared of weeds. Grass or weeds in excess of one foot in height are a violation of City ordinance. If you wish to complain about debris, litter and excessive weed growth in your neighborhood, call: Department of Public Works–Assistance Center—870-5100.

The Complaint Bureau will record and forward your complaint to the appropriate division, which will investigate your complaint. If the owner does not comply, he/she is ticketed and ordered to appear in 36th District Court. The fine for non–compliance ranges from $50.00 to $500.00. If a complaint is made and it is not handled after a reasonable lapse of time, write: Department of Public Works, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Suite 513, Detroit, Ml 48226.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Le gislative/ResourceGuide/D.htm

FYI, to dial 311 from a cell phone dial 313-224-4636

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4546
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call DEA, tree stuffed with meth.
Guys coming with hazmat suits and chain saws. Scary.
jjaba.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy posted a request for firewood info. Seems like a match.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that wood does burn and sometimes thing spontaneously combust!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...free of litter."

What a joke in this town.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.