Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Taubman unplugged: Jail, malls and sprawl « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An article from A. Alfred Taubman perspective on sprawl and mass transit.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061202/B IZ/612020426/1001

(Message edited by toog05 on December 02, 2006)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Toog.Unfortunatly the agenda people will soon be on this thread telling us how evil Taubman is.

Regarding his conviction you will note that the Univ of Michigan did not remove his name from the school of architecture.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taubman speaks the truth about metro Detroit whether people want to hear it or not.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taubman is still donating money to schools, why piss him off? Who else has money and gives it to schools? He has a wing at U of M Hospital, a Building at LTU, a building at Harvard to name a few.

Citylover

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of people donate money.The reason UM did not take his name off is because they did not believe his conviction was justified.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The University said it would continue to honor Taubman's contributions and that there was no policy for removing benfactors' names from buildings or programs. The University took no stance on Taubman's guilt or innocence.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man its late.. I just reread this thinking it said trainman unplugged!

Citylover

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Taubman had been convicted of murdering his wife or child molestation you can be sure you would not see his name anywhere at UM.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's not a decision that's up to you, Citylover

if I had my way the University would disown both Ann Coulter and Debbie Schlussel, but that's not gonna happen either

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A.Alfred made lots of bucks screwing people in the art auction business and has his name on a building at CCS. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...they did not believe his conviction was justified."

Just who are "they" and where is the statement of this? Does it really exist? Show us where we can find it.

No matter what "they" may think a court of law found, in spite of going up against AT's formidable stable of lawyers, that he had violated the law, convicted and sentenced him.

CL, I find your POV on Taubman completely inconsistent in view of your oft repeated outcries against crime at all levels including calls for Guiliana-style crack downs on broken windows and panhandlers.

I'm not trying to pick a fight on this issue and as far as AT goes, I consider it finished. He did the crime and paid the time. But let's not over look the facts.

I am opposed to public institutions naming buildings etc. after living people. A state law should address this. I believe that such naming should await their passing by at least five years to prevent embarrassments like the Taubman Schools of Architecture and the Bates Academy.

In reality there is little difference between the two other than the amount of money involved in AT's crime was over $200 million more than Lonnie Bates'.

Citylover

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was a jury that convicted Taubman Lowell; not the court.The court of course did not disagree but perhaps had he been tried by the court rather than a jury it might have been different. "They" being the higher ups at the U, and significant donors are likely the ones that believe his conviction was unjustified and based on flimsy evidence.

Lilipup Ann Coulter has not donated tons of money.She went to UM law school but other then that has no ties to the U.I guarantee you if someone does something that embarasses the U they will find a way to get rid of that person not in a conspicuous way but more in the way of encouraging them to explore other opportunities or donating elsewhere.It happens,we just don't hear about it because in those situations the less publicity the better.

Lowell, no fighting neccesary.I am happy to discuss and disagree with you from time to time.I am simply pointing out that Taubmans name is still very prominent at UM.Had he been convicted of something henious or had his conviction been a slam dunk they would have found a way to remove his name.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're speculating without basis - stop trying to speak for the University

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taubman seems to be one of those two-faced people similar to the Ilitches that do 'bad' things for the City of Detroit and also good. Who knows whether the good outweighs the bad is a matter of opinion. you can see his justifications for malls as everything was basically set up to go that direction. He didn't create sprawl, just took advantage of it.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that such naming should await their passing by at least five years to prevent embarrassments like the Taubman Schools of Architecture and the Bates Academy......

Point well made!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lowell on the naming of buildings...PLUS, no living president should have a library. These presidential libraries shouldn't be built until after the old men have turned to dust.

Citylover

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Lilipup I grew up here in A2 and am very aware of how the U operates.I have talked to numereous people at the U close to those that make those decisions and grew up around a lot of U people.

No where did I say I was speaking for the U. Being around the U recognizing their culture and then commenting on it is hardly speaking for the U.

Btw I like Lowell's idea as well.The fact is that if someone donates hundreds of millions of dollars they expect to see their own name on the marquee. And unless they do something horrible they will.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The absence of any mention of Taubman's comments about building a high rise on the riverfront is curious. Remember when he was talking about how he wanted to give something back to Detroit? He was looking for land to build on? Not a word about it.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 680
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taubman is a big swinging d%#ck. Businessmen with his success judge things in the world on what's good for Alfred Taubman's business dealings and his legacy. Some of these things are good for society and some are not. That's just the way it goes.

Guys like Taubman also want to make a certain amount of profit on any particular deal. That amount of profit is different for different people. Taubman is in the position where he wants to make a crap load - he's at the level where he can do this. He's not just going to make a little bit of margin on a deal like some of the upstarts would be happy with. He's used to killing on deals and he just doesn't see it in the city right now.

As far as sprawl - Taubman is just dodging any implication of responsibility. He's not going to build a mall some place where nobody lives, but he will build a mall in a place that is trending towards a certain population base and income level. This only encourages and speeds up the development in that area. He may not be the first one in, but he's dumping massive amounts of fuel on the fire.

Not buying it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4050
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Justbeamensch, what building on CCS bears Taubman's name? Did I miss something on the campus?? Yeah, he spoke there Friday but I don't recall seeing his name anywhere on the front of any of the buildings, parking deck or otherwise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.