Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Anyone go to Shop Detroit today? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If so, what kind of deals did you find? I got some books, then hoofed up to Urtrecht to buy my 5 year old niece a little tea set she can paint herself.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to work from 2-11ish, so I didn't get to go. But downtown didn't look hoppin' until right around game time. Sad but far from surprising. I don't think they did a great job promoting it, really. But even if they had, not much you're gonna buy downtown.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah contraire mon frere!

Remember, the Rencen is part of downtown. You can knock out a great many purchases in that building alone. No Toys R Us downtown or Circut City type stores though.

There are a reasonable number of men's stores downtown. These Includes Brooks Brothers, Jos A Bank, Sermans, Orlando's, the Broadway. A couple of those offer a few womens clothes. Detroit has to be one of the few shopping areas where the mens stores outnumber the womens stores.

Maybe if we had more womens type stores women would drag their husbands, boyfriends, brothers downtown instead of to fairlane, lakeside or 12 oaks?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they promote free parking? Or promise not to ticket your car for going 10 seconds pass the meter expiration?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you could validate your parking at Compuware if you had bought something there. The parking nazis are not out in Saturday's Yvette, unless you're parked in too close to an intersection you should not get a parking ticket on weekends.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think they did a great job promoting it, really.

The event received coverage from:

* Channel 2 (3 times);
* Channel 4;
* Channel 7 (4 times);
* WWJ-AM;
* WJR-AM;
* WDET-FM;
* WUOM-FM;
* WRCJ-FM;
* Detroit News;
* Detroit Free Press (twice);
* Michigan Chronicle;
* The Monitor;
* Metro Times;
* Real Detroit Weekly;
* The South End;
* Model D (twice);
* A half dozen or so blogs;
* Email blast to 4,100 people.

(Message edited by fnemecek on December 03, 2006)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Synergy is best at promoting, and it is an annual event. Therefore, definitely everyone had the opportunity to know about it.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If so, what kind of deals did you find?

I managed to pick up a pair of Timberland boots for a few bucks below their sticker price.

The folks I was with were surprised at how reasonably priced things were at Mark England de Mode. Not Wal-Mart cheap, mind you, but much more reasonably priced than you would think they are from the outside.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of reminds me of the old Downtown Detroit Days, started by Hudson's circa 1960.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F- I found that out last year. Did ya get the boots from Athletes Foot, City Slickers, or is there some other store I don't know about?

Glad to see Warrendale was well represented!

Jenay
Username: Jenay

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had fun at the Shop Detroit event. We spent all day running around downtown.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The boots came from Athlete's Foot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.