Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit's teachers union fires Garrison « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frustrated by economic issues and still recovering from this fall's costly strike, the Detroit Federation of Teachers surprisingly voted Saturday to oust six-year President Janna Garrison in favor of Executive Vice President Virginia Cantrell.

"I was very surprised," Garrison said. "Clearly the teachers are very upset that they haven't had a raise in four years. I wish Virginia ... the best of luck with everything."

Garrison said the vote signaled frustration among teachers both with the current contract and with the handling of the strike itself.

Cantrell, who served as executive vice president for the past six years, received 56% of the vote. Her 2-year term will begin in January. "I am overwhelmed with the generosity the membership has shown with putting me in this position," Cantrell said. "I am fully committed to helping to improve Detroit Public Schools."

The last contract, Garrison said, reflected the reality of a district in deficit that's hemorrhaging students at a rate of about 10,000 per year. Nevertheless, the outcome of the election was unexpected. "I'm in a little bit of shock. I'm somewhat surprised with this," she said.

But some Detroit teachers say the writing was on the wall. "If you betray the membership, you lose the job," said DPS teacher Heather Miller. "When we went on strike, it wasn't about the money, it was because we are tired of second-class schools, and she went on and approved that rotten contract."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061203/NEWS01/ 612030695

Yvette248

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And promptly starts looking for ways to milk the city for more money....

"Virginia Cantrell, the new president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, says that she will begin working on a new contract for Detroit school teachers on Monday, her first day on the job, even though the current, recently approved contract does not expire for three years."

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<----quickly searches the archives for anyone who may have posted a "why didn't they get this resolved months ago?" complaint when the teachers went on strike in August

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather Miller is Steve Conn's wife/girlfriend or whatever they are. Steve Conn was also running for Pres. He is the radical science teacher from Cass Tech.

I do hope Cantrell works out issues and resolves classroom issues FIRST! I do wish her the best of luck, she'll need it...

Yvette248

Post Number: 240
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: I do hope Cantrell works out issues and resolves classroom issues FIRST!

That would be great for EVERYONE Detroitteacher. But I guess its easier to blame the evil "other" than to fix the educational system.

(Message edited by yvette248 on December 03, 2006)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, is he a "radical (science teacher)" or a "(radical science) teacher"?

Radical science would be more interesting.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, he's a disruptive asshole interested in making trouble and a name for himself.

Steve Conn=BAMN

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 789
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SHHHHHHHH, I didn't want to be mean but I am glad someone said it! He is a pinprick on the butt of humanity.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, crap. I was hoping to find a teacher of radical science. Bummeroni with cheese. :-(

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of cheese?

Happy to be of service!

Yvette248

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that's why he only got 9% of the vote.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, wrong Garrison.

Mr. Garrison?

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed how much dating there is in the administrative levels at DPS ? Are these administrators meeting each other on the job or are they elevating their partners into positions with higher pay ? My mother's a teacher at Cody H.S. and I've heard so many different stories about administrators dating teachers, who then become administrators,etc ...

This is a gross generalization, but its unbelievable how much these guys are getting away with ... unbelievable.

Anyone watching The Wire ? School scenes remind me of my moms and DPS.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 963
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renfirst... I am a loyal "The Wire" watcher, the whole system reminds me of Detroit big time. When they mentioned the school budget being 56mil in the red on the show, I was like damn man... that sounds like home. The way the kids are in school.. the whole 9.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 793
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman has a wife in a high Admin position in the Ivory Towers. She did get the job first but I am betting that his taking the job of CEO was dependent upon her getting her job, too. She, btw, chose to use her maiden name so no one would be the wiser.

There is an unbelievable amount of dating/marriage/live-in among admin in DPS and they meet on the job and bring their partners up as they go.

Steve Conn and Heather Miller don't have any positions above teacher except for their stir the pot antics at Board meetings and Union activities.

Yvette248

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of "dating" within the whole city. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the hothouse of hot activities that go on in city hall. Some between singles, some not.....

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, baby! That's what the DPS needs more teachers like Mary Kay LeTourneau and Debra LaFave!

Adds a whole new meaning to "Do it in Detroit!"

When DPS only has 50,000 students(in about 10 yrs) where will all these people co-mingle? Will Kwame get them jobs?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think it'll take them 10 whole years to get down to 50,000 students?

My prediction: they'll see that number within 5 years.

Yvette248

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll all go to the cesspool of Livonia.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.