Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Is it POSSIBLE to make an entire CAR in this city nowadays? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7359
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering...as the thread perhaps implies...if there was any way we could actually build an entire vehicle within the city of Detroit?.

Is there enough shared capacity between the Big 2.5317687 and their still-barely-in-business suppliers to do this if somehow they had incentive?

Don't get into the incentives, just the basics.

Down to the ball bearings...engines...steel and other raw material sourcing and processing...glass.

Can our country still build an entire vehicle on our shores right now?!

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even in the heyday, I doubt that there were any vehicles with *every* last part built in Detroit.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 550
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The auto industry is so globalized, that individual parts on any given vehicle can come from anywhere in the world. My Toyota came off the line in Georgetown, Kentucky, USA. My good old American Dodge was finished in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. So which one is the import?

Gannon

Post Number: 7363
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Burnsie.

I fully understand that, Missnmich, what I'm asking is there the total capacity within our city to build ONE car within our borders.

Minus the stuff we can't make...although when was that minimized?

Ford did nearly everything but the tires for a spell (but made sure to party hard with Harvey Firestone, I'd bet)...even down to his electricity...heck, didn't he do something experimental with natural materials for the body construction at one point?! (Wonder how close that was to a World War...)

I'm talking purely fantasy here...don't try to bring global realities into this thread...just the little tiny pieces of reality I want US to play with at the moment.

Can we build a car IN Detroit today?! Everyone, all together-like.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No IC chip fab plants in the D.

That means no air bags, no ABS, no electronic ignition, no stereo/CD/DVD/NAV system, no engine controls, no transmission controls, no HVAC controls, no suspension controls, ...

Gannon

Post Number: 7369
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had HVAC before the silicon chip.

Electronic ignition is a bonus, but not necessary.

Everything else is a creature comfort and/or directly opposed to Darwin. Seat belts do fine enough, now that most people wear them!

It could be done without advanced silicon...just from a place twenty or so odd years behind the market standard.

Arguably the raw sports cars of old were more fun to master. I haven't been 'moved' by ANY car that used electronically-variable suspensions or auto-transmissions...no matter how great their numbers on paper.

As long as we have enough spare to keep those C-n-C machines and computers kicking...yeah, this gets complicated quickly, doesn't it?!

OK, what about ANY raw materials into parts?

We've GOT to have something left in this city...(or state...or country...)enough to build ONE car design among everyone.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you're ignoring modern emissions and safety regulations, perhaps on purpose as part of your idea.

Sure, a 60's-technology car could be produced today, but legally it couldn't be sold. It'd be out of compliance on emissions, passive safety restraints and OBDII. No computers, no car.

I don't think there are any glass plants in the city either. They're very capital intensive, like fab plants. No tire plants either, also pretty capital intensive.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich, your Toyota is the import.

There's a lot more to economics than who is on the assembly line.

Profits, engineers, designers, etc...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, good luck moving that rubber tree plant.

quote:

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There's a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your backs to the wall
There's a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

'cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems are just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop

Burnsie

Post Number: 773
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford actually did have a tire plant (built ca. '38) at the Rouge. At one point Ford made about half its tires, according to an Images of America book. The book had a picture of a soybean products factory at the Rouge, and a picture of an ahead-of-its-time plastic-bodied car. Ford also had its own glass plant.

Of course, the Rouge is in Dearborn, not Detroit, so technically it's not applicable to this thread's question.

Gannon

Post Number: 7372
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA!

Thanks Jimaz, that is perfect! I never heard that last verse before. In lieu of my emotional state starting this discussion, it is eerily resonant.

You, too Burnsie...I've always considered inner-ring suburbs just an annex away from authenticity, so we should not disclude them...it's the spirit of the thing! Heh.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4526
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba asked the central question on his Ford F-150 Rouge tour and ofcourse never got a straight answer. Maybe somebody here can tell us how much of the Ford F-150 is built at the Rouge or nearby.

The Jeep plant on the Eastside of Detroit and the Cadillac plant in "Poletown" make cars. How much of these units are really made in Detroit?

jjaba knows that TRICO moved from Buffalo to Mexico. Cars without wipers are real hard to sell.

There are no tires made in Detroit and glass comes from Toledo. Paint comes from Pittsburgh.
Plastic infused inner door panels are made in Manchester, Michigan. Northern Mexico makes the electrical bundles. Chevy engines come in from China.

Maybe a better question is how much of a car can be made in Michigan!

jjaba.

Gannon

Post Number: 7380
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That IS my question.

Do we have the capability right now to do it, among the Big Car Companies and their Suppliers that still exist here...could they pool their resources and make a car in the city.

Or in the state.

OR even in the country...as Track says, we're not making any silicon here, so to keep up with both world-class expectations and federal safety mandates...it's a reality we can't step away from, no matter how much it flies against Darwin's species-survival techniques.

Forgive my ignorance...but isn't silicon derived from silica...that pure sand that is one of our natural resources here...kinda put Midland on the map, in a near-dioxin-death sorta way.

We should be able make chips...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say yes, but don't count on it happening without a major change in attitudes towards corporate entitlements. A few engineers from Delphi had a presentation for our plastics class last week. The subject went to outsourcing. I was surprised that the difference per piece on an instrument cluster between union Michigan labor and Mexican Labor only adds an extra $0.25 to the piece. And of course these guys were in love with globalization. They said the plant they work at in Flint was getting shut down next year. It was sad to see they were too clueless to realize that they were so good at their jobs they put them selves out of work.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, Whirlpool used to bring washing machines in from Mexico. When the Benton Harbor plant got the labor content down from 5 hours to 1 hour per machine, the savings from doing it in Mex disappeared. Cost more to ship from Mex. So the job's in Mi, but not very many. You'll see this continue. And no, they couldn't build a car entirely in Detroit or Michigan for that matter. Probably back in the 40's at the Rouge, you could.

Cambrian

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could. Admittedly, it would be a trade off, poorer environment from increased factory emissions. That is an upside from a slumping mfg. base, less factory waste to be dealt with. However there are so many advancements. The wave of the future is color keyed plastic body panels, like the Fiero, so no more need for paint emissions from the assembly plant.

Burnsie

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the sake of simply having things still made in Michigan, it doesn't really matter if the Big 2.5 make stuff in Detroit or Livonia. Obviously it helps Detroit more if the factory is inside the city limits, but I'm more concerned with the big picture.

You can look up on auto company websites their facilities in Michigan and what they make here. In Michigan (not counting the plants temporarily taken back from Visteon), Ford has:

At the Rouge site:

F-150 Assembly
Dearborn Stamping
Dearborn Engine and Fuel Tank
I4 2.0L & 2.3L engines and fuel tanks
Dearborn Diversified Mfg.
Chassis sub assemblies, frames, stampings

Van Dyke Transmission, Sterling Heights
4F27E (FN) automatic transmission, 4F50N (AX4N) automatic transmission

Livonia Transmission
4R75E and 6R transmission, AX4N components, service components

Woodhaven Stamping
Door panels, fenders, floor pans, hoods, quarter panels, roofs and tailgates, truck body sides

Romeo Engine
4.6L 2-valve and 2-valve V8 engines, 4.6L 4-valve V-8 engines, 5.4L 4-valve supercharged engines

Wayne Stamping

Assembly plants besides Rouge:
Flat Rock, Wayne (cars), Wayne (trucks), Wixom (to close next year)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So $.25 x 3 to 4 million units is $750K to $1m loss on that component alone.

An instrument cluster is just one small part in a very large system. It's one small electronic subassembly. I can think of at least 40 other electronic subassemblies in a modern car. If all 40 of those subassemblies are $.25 overpriced you end up with a $10 price disadvantage on electronic subassemblies at the component cost level. That 750K single component loss just became a $30 million corporate loss. If the management team was so neglectful that they let a $.25 loss occur on an instrument cluster they also would be allowing a loss on all the other components. And you wonder why GM and Ford are bleeding cash?

If all the parts in the car you're trying to sell cost 2 or 3 cents more than your competitors you're out of business very quickly. I've been in meetings where we've argued over a tenth of a penny difference in a components cost.

If that instrument cluster plant wanted to stay open, it had to figure out how to ring that $.25 cost difference out of it's pricing structure. All things being equal a lower price will always win. Even if it's a mere few pennies.

Any manager that allowed a $.25 cost disadvantage on an electronics subsystem when there is a viable alternative would and should be fired. They would be helping the company go bankrupt.

Companies are not in business to keep you employed. They are in business to profitably serve their customers needs. If they are not profitable or don't serve the customers needs, they are out of business. Your employment is just a happy byproduct of their continued success.

Cambrian

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies: Then answer why all the outsourcing they have done in the past six years has not made them profitable? In the mid 90s when I worked at GM we were raking in the cash, Toyota was a distant threat. The upper guys dreamed up these Lean Management theories and the rest is history, plant closings, jobs going over sees and losses year after year. The economics professors of the future will point to what we are going through now as the most preventable bankruptcy ever of a dumbly ran industry.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has any automaker tried painting a whole instrument cluster on one big LCD display? It seems to work well in avionics. I have an HF radio designed like that too. Its only hardware control is the power switch.

It seems a design like that would cut recurring hardware costs to the bone. It would take more software but that cost doesn't recur (per unit).

Gannon

Post Number: 7385
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff...thanks Ndavies, I KNEW you'd show up here in one form or another.

But is there capability STILL, say then even amongst the suppliers...to assemble some sort of vehicle at all? Like the old Fiat-'inspired' Lada...could something be cobbled together, even?

Have we lost the ability to build a car in Detroit? Completely, even if collectively?!

To ME, that is a pretty huge concept...a milestone passed with little celebration or even a bare notice.

At least we can still prototype some cool stuff...right?!

Ndavies

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We do have limited capacity in Michigan to build an entire vehicle, but just in Detroit is completely out of the question.

It also depends where you want to draw the line base line. We don't have any capacity to extract raw materials from the ground here in Michigan. We had all the raw materials at one time, With the advent of synthetic rubber during WWII. Now our mines are pretty much spent. Do you draw the line after the extraction of the raw materials from the ground? Do you draw the line after the raw materials are processed into usable form? The material I'm not sure we have capacity for is Aluminum.

If you move the line after it's been processed into usable material, why not draw the line after it's been processed into base parts? The only type of plant we currently lack in Michigan is a large scale IC fab plant. We can however get VLSI type parts programmed locally but the base parts come from out of state.

It also depends on the scale of the operation. We can and do build low volumes without any problem. Most early prototypes have mostly local sourcing due to time constraints. The early prototypes can absorb the increased costs of local sourcing. This is what makes those concept cars and early mule vehicles multimillion dollar ventures.

The local sourcing and building of prototypes is rapidly disappearing due to the use of CAD and improvements in shipping speeds. The ultimate goal is to get rid of all real prototypes in favor of computer simulation. We're alloted fewer mule vehicles each model year. Several hundred half million dollar prototype vehicles a year show up like a flashing red light on the CFO's balance sheet.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

NDavies: Then answer why all the outsourcing they have done in the past six years has not made them profitable?

Because the competition is also getting cheaper. We are merely playing catchup. Toyota and the other foreign companies use continuous improvement strategies to drive cost from their vehicles. That's continuous improvement in quality, continuous improvement in costs and continuous improvement in features. We need to do the same to remain competitive. How bankrupt would they be going if the hadn't reduced costs and outsourced what they have already? There's a long world wide list of failed companies that didn't continue to improve cost and quality. The current surviving companies put them out of business.

US companies have been putting foreign companies out of business for years using this strategy. We just need to get back to what we do best. We're great at creating industries. Other countries are better at refining them.

Gannon

Post Number: 7392
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, N, I had been looking at that as well.

I guess, for the sake of the game, we'd look at the raw materials available.

Are they really spent, or is it just too hard to get that last ounce out compared to the ease of shipping in from another part of the globe that is easier to access?!

I thought I heard at least that copper could still be mined up north...but you'd think with the global shortage in the midst of China's building they'd be doing it by now if they could.

Maybe they are trying to run out the 'city mine' of recycled copper first...

As an aside, I'd LOVE to see the difference analysis between the computer simulations and working prototypes over the years...that would be a fascinating study on a learning curve in the midst of exponential technology improvement.

Cambrian

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmmm...that is partly right. But it's our American ingenuity of late that is looking to send the most work over sees, be it production, prototype, design and engineering, while the foreigners Hyundai, Toyota, too name a few are actively investing over here. Ann Arbor Tech center, new plants down south. All GM says, is “We just sold more Buicks in China than in the US” Tells me where their real interests are.

Burnsie

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian: It's "overseas," not "over sees."

Ndavies

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, This is a continuation of an ongoing process in the auto industry. Even before the outsourcing. It has happened in every industry we've ever created. At one time 90% of the US population was involved food production, now only a tiny minority. We had a huge number of clothing workers, now only a tiny minority do that. Blacksmithing, buggy manufacturing, bicycles, Trains, steel, planes, banking, insurance and telecommunication all employed a higher percentage of the population. All those industries employment levels have shrunk due to increased productivity or technological changes. This is a recurring unrelenting process. I dare you to find a mature non-government regulated industry where this hasn't happened, Outsourced or not? It just gets faster every year.

It's this continuous improvement in productivity either by outsourcing or technology changes that have given us this high standard of living.

And there's no sticking your head in the sand about it. Because if we don't do it, someone else will.

Cambrian

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the problem is, if you outsource and layoff all your employees who also happen to be your customers, all in the name of new technology, or streamlining or whatever and your profits tank. We can't really call that progress can we?

Gannon

Post Number: 7393
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sand is one of the only raw materials we have left to play with, N.

Cambrian,

It certainly WAS viewed as progress, back when there was another industry that popped up to replace that which had wandered away to find those cheaper labor and materials.

Remember, though, past performance does NOT dictate future behavior.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what do you suggest? We become socialists and give everyone jobs for life. That worked so well for the Soviet Union, communist China and India. All three of these countries have begun to thrive now that they've enlisted our economic policies.

Or maybe We could be like Britain in 60's and 70's and have the government buy all all our failing businesses to keep the people employed. Britain's businesses still failed even with very strong protectionist policies on foreign products. The foreign companies productivity increased to overcome the protectionism. The British had a hell of a time when they had to close all those failed unproductive steel mills, railroads, coal mines and auto companies.

Cambrian

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a materials class over the summer. I learned that Aluminum is the most commonly available resource for making metal on the Earth. The cost of refining it from it's Bauxite base is more costly then refining steel is currently. That's steel, not steal Burnsie. Copper is strip mined out in Utah and in Mexico?, some where in south America. Titanium, we get from the Florida Beach sand us "libs" stick our heads in when confronted with globalization. Magnesium comes from sea salt. Nickel for Stainless Steel, Canada I believe. When we question rather we can build an entire car here...too me that does not mean we have to come up with the raw materials here too.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, the one true resource in Chip fab is power. It is a very energy intensive business. The amount of silica required is nowhere near how much plastic and metal that's required to build a finalized chip. The silica is just a tiny square in the middle of a chip. Most of the chip package size is dedicated to interfacing with the outside world.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10956
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure, a 60's-technology car could be produced today, but legally it couldn't be sold. It'd be out of compliance on emissions, passive safety restraints and OBDII. No computers, no car.

Not true. Year One will soon, or perhaps already are, offering brand new from the ground up 1969 Camaros.

Cambrian

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I would suggest. What I'd like to see is the US Auto industry admit they screwed up and bring most of the jobs back to the midwest that the Japs and Koreans are smart enough to capitalize on and win disenfranchised customers over to buying imports. A complete house cleaning starting with Wagoneer and ending with Zietche would be a nice start too.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4528
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is wonderful.Thanks for staying mostly on point. jjaba can learn much here.

Burnsie's post #776 was one of the best we've ever seen in answer to the thread question. He tells it like it tis, precise data.

Ndavies sayswe got rubber mines in Michigan? Please clear that one up, eh.

As for Buick in China. GM doesn't remind us that the Chinese fucking hate the Japanese over WWII death marches. So flukes in politics make a big difference in how Detroit does. Koreans don't buy from Japanese either. Without sounding like a bigot, Americans seem to have forgotten about Pearl Harbor and having to Nuke the enemy twice to bring them to their knees. All's we think about is price.

Timmons, Canada; Cuba and Dominican Republic have nickel mines. Bauxite is all over the Caribbean like Jamaica, mon.

Thanks again. Wonderful thread.

jjaba on the Dexter bus.
ps. That comment about Whirlpool was priceless. Thanks.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, So, by greatly increasing their costs you think they're going to magically become profitable. Give me a break.

(Message edited by ndavies on December 04, 2006)

Gannon

Post Number: 7394
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport,

There MUST be some sort of small production exemption.

Wonder what that is, and what regulations they can escape?!

N,

No you're absolutely right...thanks for that quick lesson of England riding the downslide of the industrial revolution.

What do THEY largely do now for industry? They've got to be suffering similar fate still...or is the after effect of all that government (mis)managed pain positive?! If not for them, at least for us as long as we learn their lessons.

Where are they now...

Cambrian! You revolutionary...off to the gallows with you, tomorrow noon in the square.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We invented synthetic rubber round about either during WWI or WWII. can't remember exactly, and I'm not that old. We no longer needed rubber tree plants. We have a limited supply of oil in the state that could be turned into polymers. i.e. synthetic rubber and plastics

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, I was looking at the Year One camaro, article said they were getting vintage cars and updating. The 1969 vin was key, Shelby had to do the same thing with the continuation Cobras, he had vins from the 60's. Never assigned to a car, so all the mid 60's specs for emission and safety applying. How would Year One get around that?

Cambrian

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right and becoming obsessed overly by costs while your profits fly out the window is a dumb strategy too. Look at GM and Ford's bottom lines the past five years. The beginning of the thread was a loaded question. Detroit itself never had the means to provide all raw materials needed to make a car. That is not the reason why it blossomed as an auto capital. It was the combination of locale for commerce, shipping / rail to get the commerce here with the right home grown brains to make it happen. Henry Ford with some transplants like WP Chrysler and Durant. Mulally, Zietche and Wagoner. Maybe they could manage a Wal Mart store effectively, but they sure haven't shown me they can run a car company.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Britain is big in the banking, trading, shipping, diplomacy, Software and insurance industries. They train a huge number of doctors who then flee Britain for the big money here. They are replaced by India trained doctors who think the socialized medical pay rates of Britain are great.

They are also very high tech research oriented.

Most of the heavy industry is gone. A few Specialty steel companies are left and Auto production is negligible. The Japanese happily make Right hand drive Cars for the British market, since they already produce them for their home market.

Gannon

Post Number: 7395
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, old Henry hedged against unfriendly governments by buying land in South America that wasn't used after the advent of synthesized rubber.

Caught some story of one of his plantations near the Amazon River recently.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention Ford is still Britain's biggest car manufacturer. They're Building Fords, Jags and Range Rovers in Britain for now. They about to or just closed Jaguars original Browns(SP?) lane plant.

Henry put his first European plant in England. It was a smaller version of the rouge plant.

Gannon

Post Number: 7396
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THAT took too long to post...gotta remember to do that BEFORE heading off for tea time.

Sorry.

Cambrian...not so much a loaded question as a directed one. Everyone can see the paradigm of manufacturer/supplier NOW, but it wasn't always so clear.

HF might be known best for the assembly line...who was the parent of outsourcing?! He might be that too, since it looked like he learned the horizontally AND vertically integrated corporation couldn't work.

H-M-M-m-m-m-n-n, that WAS before the technological revolution.

I think at least Samsung is trying it now...who else is the most diversified of corporations, across industries and within each?

Seems THAT might be the overall solution...best way to get a fractional return on your parts purchase is to own the parts maker again. BE the part.

Gannon

Post Number: 7397
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

REALLY cool stuff, thanks N.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry believed in insourcing. He tried to control the entire process from raw materials all the way to the dealerships. Don't forget Henry came from a different time. He was manufacturing on a scale completely unimaginable before his time. Way before suppliers were very reliable. Outsourcing is more of a post WWII phenomena. It was brought in during Ford's first post WWII collapse.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford's rubber plantation was covered in the Fordlandia thread.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 04, 2006)

Cambrian

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to jump on ol Henry's bandwagon, he did have his faults, anti semite, really backwards on his political views. I don't think we can compare him to modern Auto Barons, simply because he had a few plants at the source for purposes of producing near the natural resource, (UP's wood trim plant, and the failed Fordlandia experiment). He realized the need for a strong US manufacturing base as he realized the benefits that had to the country's infrastructure. All these modern day Auto Barons want is to simply have a dealer network here, and and office for the board of directors. Everything and I do mean everything, from assembly to accounting will be done in the low wage country of choice at the moment. What's retarded in this logic is they believe that somehow there will still be millions of people that will still want, desire or be able to afford their products.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are millions of people that can afford their products, they just don't work for an auto company. Now whether they want or desire it, that's another question. Most don't.

C_brain, give it up, it's not going to be 1950 or 1960 or any of the good times. Manufacturing is toast. It's not going to ever come back. Just like all those farmers 100 years ago. Kiss it goodbye. The sooner you accept your Capitalist Masters, the better.

Cambrian

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naaahhh, I think the barge is slowly drifting to the left; Exhibit A is the House and Senate Elections last month.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You foolish C-brain, we did that on purpose, it's a chess match, we're a couple of moves ahead, actually lots of moves. All will be revealed in time.

Supersport

Post Number: 10958
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortress_warren,

Easy, you can get a special VIN issued for new cars that are along the lines of a kit car. They are exempt from current standards. They are issued by the SAE, not intended for mass production, and regulations I believe vary from state to state.

Gannon,

You are correct in your assumption that they would not be able to do this for mass production, though I'm sure Year One's demand for these brand new 1969 Camaros will gradually increase. What is the cutoff for what is considered mass production? My friend works for a plant that build custom bikes via mass production, though they only build about 200 per year.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, do you have a link for the SAE issuing vins? There's a guy on Blue Oval Forums that's in Clinton Township that makes and sells kit cars. Porsche 930's, Lola T-70, GT-40s, I was wondering how he got past the DMV.

Supersport

Post Number: 10964
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't help you there. I've read and talked to people over the years whom have owned kit cars. Your best bet may be to start with Michigan's DMV, as they could point you in the right direction I'm sure and would have the final say in the process anyways.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in California, so that seems to be a problem. You should do the same. Move to Cali. We have the biggest UM alumni group outside Mi. It's 70, Livingston County was 19, with wind chill,6. About the same as when I left Mi for the first time, December 20, 1975.

Supersport

Post Number: 10966
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're in California...by far the most strict state there is in regards to hot rodders. Not sure how easy it would be to get a specialty vehicle VIN issued out there.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4530
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba notes that Henry Ford borrowed the assembly line from Swift Meat Packers. The pork line in Chicago run by immigrant Poles was his inspiration. Soon, Hamtramck Poles were bolting cars in Highland Park. Thank depressions in Poland for that.

Ndavies, thanks for the answer about rubber.
This thread is wonderful. Thanks for staying on point.

jjaba was talking to his friend a fine doctor at Univ. of Penn Hosp. He dictates cases daily in Philadelphia and goes home. The typist in Bangalore, India comes to work on the other side of the globe, works a shift, and when he goes to work tomorrow, his files are already assembled. Nobody in the 2 million City of Brotherly Love can do it so quick, so cheap, and so perfectly.
Mistakes here, and you'll kill people.

You don't have to be a weatherman to know the times are-a-changin'.

jjaba.

Fortress_warren

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, they don't allow any nonsense with vins. If it's built this year, then it has to meet those rules. The DMV pulled thousands of license plates from people that got dirt bikes licensed for the street. They wanted to avoid getting hassled by The Man. Ca went all the way back to 1978 standards, if it didn't meet those, pull the plate.

jjaba, radiologists in India do the same thing, read the images, write it up, send it to the states.

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad, I thought this post would be about building a car from all the scrap parts along I-94 through the city and maybe some of the abandoned cars in the Chalmers/Jefferson neighborhoods. I swear there are enough parts to build a few working vehicles.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 773
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba-your comment on post# 4528 re: the short-term American memory and price (vis-a-vis Japanese cars) reminds me of this:

http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=2415875145808534146

It's like the opposite of FUBU

Jjaba

Post Number: 4539
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiterinspirit, you're talking about building a car on the Eastside obviously. I-94 West of Woodward is clean to spic and span.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4540
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Packman. jjaba saw Sarah Silverman's movie. She can be quite funny.

jjaba.

Gannon

Post Number: 7402
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroiterinspirit, you're talking about building a car on the Eastside obviously. I-94 West of Woodward is clean to spic and span.

...if ONLY because it was the route to the airport from the SuperDuperBowl!

Jjaba

Post Number: 4541
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, thanks. Yes, and during Super Bowl nobody on the Eastside was allowed passage on I-94. To avoid confusion and congestion, the Eastside ramps had Jersey blocks on them.
Gannon tells it like it tis.

"Hey Lucy, let's abandon our old heap on I-94 around W. Grand Blvd., we gotta a new 1975 Chevy after Cassandra died. Ok, not this week. Super Bowl is here."

jjaba.

Cambrian

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did OK with an abandoned car. Some one dropped off a rusted out Jeepster Commando at a Junkyard that resides on the Lincoln Park Detroit border. The junkyard being the socially responsible members of society they were decided to push the Jeepster one block down on Fort Street for their Detroit neighbors to deal with because they did not want it. A friend told me of this, I stopped by and picked it clean of the valuable parts and made some money. All the passing hookers, johns dope pushers and vice cops gave me the oddest looks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.