Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Good cause to donate to « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As posted on WRIF/Drew & Mike website:
Help Our Soldiers-The Michigan National Guard 1-182FA needs community donations to get our soldiers home from Ft. Dix, New Jersey for Christmas. These brave men are back in the country for the holiday season before they head back to Iraq in January. They are looking for donations. These Donations will be used to pay for bus transportation from and to Ft. Dix.

ALL Donations received will be used to help fund:

Bus Transportation for the holidays
Christmas packages and cards for the Soldiers
Family assistance ($$) for urgent needs
Care package mailings to all the unit
Maintaining and mailing our website and newsletter
Welcome home military ceremony and celebration

They also want to provide Electronic supplies and support for the soldiers - For example they want to provide the unit with at least one 2G thumbdrive per soldier. The thumbdrives handle ALL types of electronic communications, are small and travel well in the desert. The guys have a limited amount of internet time available so if they have the thumbdrives, they can upload their letters home and then send thru the links in country OR they can save their letters from home and read them later on their laptops (if they have them).

Also the address to send donations is as follows:

Peoples Trust Credit Union
A-Btry 182 FA SECFOR FRG
Christmas Leave Bus Fund
24333 Lahser Rd
Southfield, MI 48033

Check made payable to: A-Btry 182 FA SECFOR FRG

If you any other questions please feel free to contact me! Thank you again.

Jen Bayer
1-182 SECFOR FRG
(586)531-5559

CLICK HERE to visit their website...
Unfortunately the link isn't showing up. If you go to WRIFs website, click on the Drew & Mike show and you'll see this post with the link. It is really something that our state government couldn't scrape up the money to bus these guys home for Christmas before they head back to Iraq.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like a good cause in which to donate.

Not to be an ass, but how do know the state was even asked to donate towards this? Doesn't have a fund already, or doesn't already have enough things to fund (public schools, colleges and universities, etc...)? Just asking questions....

Qweek

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Subject of discussion last Friday, I believe Drew & Mike spoke to Jen Bayer directly on the air. It was said, in so many words, that Governor Granholm denied the request for aid to bring the soldiers home. I know our state is troubled financially but these guys are going to war not college, they may never spend another Christmas at home again or come back changed physically, emotionally or both. Channel 2 is also trying to help by the way.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?con tentId=1659056&version=3&local e=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId =5.7.1

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but I think there are more pressing priorities.

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they can raise the funds but this is the federal governments responsibility. Pay these guys the wages they deserve (to purchase the items above) or bring them home. State and local governments should not be forced to subsidize the Federal Government's decisions.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU Rusty... I couldn't agree more.

Qweek

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Michigan National Guard, if Detroit invades Livonia I'm sure you'll see these guys trying to get control of the situation.

As described at the Department of Military and Veterans affairs website:

"The Army and Air Force Reserves are completely controlled by the Federal Government and serve as reserves to the active Army and Air Force. The National Guard, on the other hand, is controlled by the state and the federal government--we have a dual mission. The governor can call the Michigan National Guard into action to assist in the case of local emergencies or civil disturbances. In addition, the President of the United States can activate the National Guard to serve along with active duty forces in foreign wars or national emergencies. This was most recently protrayed during the Persian Gulf Crisis and the Bosnian Crisis.

During the war on terrorism, many reserves from all branches have been called up. In the case of the National Guard, some have been called up in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (Southwest Asia) and some are on active duty for Operation Noble Eagle (Homeland Defense). To find out where Michigan National Guard members are currently serving, check our Current Deployments page.".

So what you say is skrew these guys and their families? Can't spare $5.00 for some soldiers who are stuck fighting in Iraq to come home and be with people who love, miss and worry about them? Wow.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's good these troops are back in the US safe and sound - that's much to be thankful and grateful for - maybe they'll luck out and not have to go back

but if you take a look around this area there are a lot of people who don't even have places to go home to - they're who I think of every time I hear how much is being spent in Iraq

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.