Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Firewood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to get a couple of cords of wood delivered, and am price shopping. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's that guy with the truck full of firewood at eastern market every saturday...dunno how his prices stack up though

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend has a tree chopped down in his backyard (if your not picky).We aren't sure what kind of wood but we know it isnt ghetto palm. Needs to be split but I'll deliver it for free. He wants it gone and due lack of bulk pick up, were slowly hauling out in garbage cans.

Just in case you need some quick.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 692
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto Gravitymachine's comment- look for the guy at the eastern market on Saturday mornings and get his business card. My experience has been he's got great hardwood product, is reasonable, he'll deliver, and stack even stack it for you.

Fightdetroit
Username: Fightdetroit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a guy that sells wood from his house in Auburn Hills. You should see his yard! It's completely covered in stacked and splitted wood. Try it out blondy, the guy's house is on Brown Rd. right across from best buy in Auburn Hills...can't miss it!

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you check the Detroit Craigslist (www.craigslist.org} there is free firewood available for pickup from a guy in Troy.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's probably a LOT of cheap Ash Tree wood available... :-(

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7408
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy,

My Livonia friend has been dealing with Freddie Duever out of the Market for over a decade.

I won't say my friend is cheap, but as long as he is doing business with someone...you can BET the price is right, and the quality is there. Let's just say he's a 'discerning' buyer...like yourself.

He says you get a FULL face cord 8 x 8 instead of the 4 x 8 MOST people sell, which is half a face cord...I guess there're cords and FACE cords?! (you're hearin' from the guy who had trouble with his ex-girlfriends GAS fireplace in LA)

He's four to five weeks out on delivery...but you can get enough to start your warming on any Saturday morning, and he'll deliver the rest when he can schedule it.

My friend says that it is easily the best quality aged hardwood he's been able to find downstate...and says Freddie has even higher quality wood for a premium price.

I only got pricing in passing from him, but I think the going rate on a cord is about $75-80, and Freddie sells double that amount for $125 or so...plus you get to do business with someone who has supported the Market for a long time.

He's a great guy...along with the Honey and Maple Syrup fellows another character from the market.

IF you're quick, you can grab some of the Christmas tree ends they've cut to shorten those on sale, I think the little pieces should make a fire smell great. Dunno if you have to dry 'em yourself, but that would make sense.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight correction, Gannon.

A cord is a stack that measures 8' long by 4' high by 4' deep.

What gets sold around here is a "face cord". That's also 8' long and 4' high but the depth of the stack is not 4', it's whatever the length of the log happens to be. Figure around 18" usually, making 3/8th of a full cord.

In a nutshell, the key questions are:

• face cord or full cord?
  • length of logs if facecord?
  • species (want hardwood)?
  • seasoned (dryed) how long?
  • price includes delivery?
  • price includes stacking?

Happy fires.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7421
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend thought he had it wrong...thanks Track, that makes sense.

That price was delivered to Livonia...but I don't know if it was stacked.

Big difference in volume of wood, if I was right relating his pricing...it is a good deal.

Blondy, you might need to check your requirements then, too.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't face cords technically illegal in Michigan? I thought I read that somewhere (Detroit News?).

(Not that I care. Just curious why that is.)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.