Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Hi ... [Oakland Ave. during the Purple Gang Days] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. I am very excited to be a part of this very informative and historically interesting forum. I reside in Ferndale and often make forays into the city to take photographs of early to mid-twentieth century houses and landmarks. My particular obsession is with the Oakland Ave. section between East Grand Blvd and Manchester which is rich in Purple Gang history. My interest in the city developed back in the early nineties when my Detroit resident girlfriend and I visited the newspaper microfilm room of the DPL and I read and browsed articles about the infamous Purple Gand and Detroit riots of 1943. The city is rich in history and there are so many research tools( some of which I will share) and beautiful rich in history and architecurally significant buildings. Anyways, it's nice to be here.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, terryh, to Detroit YES!! You'll find many who share your appreciation of the city's history.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Terryh!!!!!!!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, and as a newbie it is required that you always have a flame retardant suit on yourt person at all times for at least your first six months here...

:-)

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Terryh!

When I was a kid, my Dad used to point out the hotel where the Purple Gang hung out. It was probably canabalized by the GM Poletown plant. If I remember correctly, it was near the old Sherwin Williams (Acme Paint) plant near St. Aubin[?]

(Message edited by mtm on December 04, 2006)

Terryh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That neighbor hood is not a considerable distance from the Oakland Avenue district where many Purples hung out.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Terryh! I am glad you decided to join the forum. I look forward to reading your posts!

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oakland area just north of the blvd is experiencing some new housing development west of Oakland. Between Oakland and I75. I am in that nieghborhood couple times a week. It is a contender to be one of the next hot redevelopment areas.
Welcome to the Detroityes Forum!
Mark

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two weeks ago, in fact, FSC (Forum Social Club) met at Apex Bar on Oakland near Clay.

Welcome!

Terryh

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Apex hosted performers on Detroit fortune records label. Ill have to visit the place sometime.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A big hello from one forum newbie to another .... yes less than 200 posts makes one a real newbie in this forum.

I look forward to learning more about the Purple Gang from your posts Terryh.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh- if you search the DetroitYes archives you should be able to find an interesting thread about an old Jewish Bathhouse on Oakland Ave that is still in operation. I believe that the place is called a Schvitz

Terryh

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Brandon. Im actually very familiar with the bathhouse you are referancing.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hola and welcome!! Glad to have you join us. Look forward to your input and pictures!!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Terryh. Yes, the "Schvitz" is probably the biggest lasting monument of the Purple Gang days along Oakland. There are also ten or twelve former synagogues still existent in that neighborhood and within walking distance of the Schvitz. You'll find them along with the Schvitz in the Lost Synagogues of Detroit site at www.shtetlhood.com.

Over time we have had discussions about the gang but it is always good to have a redux. To that end, I have taken the liberty to descriptively rename your thread title.

I'll leave it to jjaba to take it from there.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at an apartment building a few years ago that was reportedly inhabited by Purple Gang members back in the day. Currently called "Milner Arms Apartments" the building is located at 40 Davenport. It is located behind Orchestra Place in Midtown.

Terryh

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell. I have actually visited the Lost Synagogue site you are referring to.

Terryh

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland avenue and some of the cross streets were jam packed with small mom and pop businesses. The area seen some looting during the riot of 43. I have a book about the old trolley system and there is a pic from early 20's at Josephine and Oakland, it was winter and looked kind of dark and dreary.I wrote the addresses of some remaining buildings so I can reference an old phone book (they used to have cross street listings) to find out what kind of businesses occupied them. There was a theatre on Oakland that featured local talent. The lot where the Oakland Sugar house sat is vacant except for two poles: I should look into purchasing the lot and do an archaelogical dig. If them walls could talk........

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lot where the Oakland Sugar house sat is vacant except for two poles: I should look into purchasing the lot and do an archaelogical dig. If them walls could talk........

Terryh, what is the cross-streets where the Oakland Sugar House was located? The spot I thought was, apparently is incorrect.

Thanks, Detroitej72

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The lot where the Oakland Sugar house sat is vacant except for two poles: I should look into purchasing the lot and do an archaelogical dig."

Take Geraldo and a TV film crew with you to shoot that video of you unearthing a whisky bottle.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4561
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the basement of the Oakland Sugar House is a Detroit River Ford Model T cutter used in winter to move the goods. All cases were marked "FOB Hong Kong", part of the British Empire. See if you can dig it out.

Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to your posted photos. There have been extensive discussions on several threads about Jews in Detroit, and other related topics.

When jjaba was coming up on the Westside, his father shopped regularly on Westminster St. and Oakland in the old Jewish neighborhood. At the time, 12th and Clairmont, Linwood, and ofcourse Dexter Blvd. were heavily Jewish too. Lowell has documented synagogues and other Jewish communal bldgs. in this award-winning website.

Pish posh, there's a lot more to Jewish Detroit than the Purples. The Collingwood St. Massacre has been well documented here also.

Shalom from jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[I know I've told this story before on another long-ago-deleted thread, but here it is again...]

My paternal great-grandfather (whom I never knew) used to run an underground blind-pig in the 8-Mile & Woodward area during the Prohibition era. Apparently, some members of the Purple Gang were unhappy with his establishment, and busted into his bar late one night, shotguns blasting, and he sustained a direct hit.
The only thing that saved him was that he held his arms over his face, keeping the buckshot from penetrating his skull. My father told me that my great-grandfather's party show-stopper for the rest of his life was showing off his "Purple Gang scars": buckshot scars across his forearms and torso.
Still freaks me out a a bit -- if he hadn't held up his arms, I probably wouldn't be here today.

Terryh

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oakland Sugar house was located at Oakland and Holbrook.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.