Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » The Schvitz on Oakland Avenue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Initially known as the Oakland Health club, the Schvitz on Oakland has been a staple since its construction in 1930 when the neighborhood was predominately Jewish. On a weekend visit (Couples night) I had the privelage of discussing the history of the neighborhood with an old Jewish man named Izzy who resided their until the 40s. He claimed to have known personally some Purple gang members. Anyways, It is a bathouse-restaurant in which an individual can receive a traditional Jewish Plaitza leaf broom massage, swim in the pool, chill in the hot tub,and enjoy a well prepared meal afterwards. There is a very informative website, Oakleafbroom or Oakbroom.com can't remember off hand. Has some good photos,lots of information about the bathhouse and neighborhood.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boss told me how she used to go to the Schvitz for a good time.
Oh the images she put in my head.
Doesn't it mean "the sweat" in Yiddish?
That's what the boss told me.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, sounds like you made a solid contact - a guy who had 'the true gen' - good information. Did you record your interview?
Since this special area is your passion, maybe the new info you harvest, like interviews, old pix, etc, could go into an in-depth article you will write. See? It's easy...
Don't forget about Broad's Club Zombie and Phelps' Lounge (formerly the Bizerte Bar).
And, welcome.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a platza at The Schivitz. Nothing quite like it, boychick.

Justbeamensch

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean Schvitz, not Schivitz.

Justbeamensch

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a platza at The Schivitz. Nothing quite like it, boychick.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4532
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schvitz is to sweat. "Oy veryesmere, I was schvitzing in the steam laundry in July, I coulda plotzed."

There have been great threads on this website about the Oakland Schvitz, complete with pictures.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3705
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dude, thats a swingers club

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where exactly is the shvitz? i'd like to check it out!

quick! tell me before i get all veklempt!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UrbanPlanet Schvitz thread

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in 98' it getting closed down for a while ... too much fun on couple's night ... I was a senior in high school working in a restaurant and one of the waitresses could not stop talking every week about the trips she would take with her boyfriend to that place ... yikes, she was like 300 lbs ...

(Message edited by renfirst on December 05, 2006)

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a special place.....

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4533
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland Avenue, near Eastside.
jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.