Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Noel Night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go? I thought it was really awsome especially when everyone gathered on Woodward and sang Christmas Carols

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed it. Thought it was amazing, and was great for me and my friends who have just recently moved to the city to explore everything in midtown.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night is one of the coolest events around!! There's so much going on that you can only get to maybe 1/5 of the venues and events, if that many. My friend and I enjoyed learning the history of a couple of buildings, heard some terrific music, saw some wonderful art, enjoyed the ice sculptures, and met some really nice people.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stood and watched the river of people exiting the DIA after closing was announced. I don't think I've ever seen it so packed (and those working there said it was like that all evening).

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4075
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think this is the least publicized cool event that the City has going for it. When are they going to get some real publicity for this event?? And it's been going on for over 34 years now.

Glad to know people who are in the know still enjoying it though.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it need more publicity? I couldn't see find any attendance figures, but they (the University Cultural Center Association and sponsors and participating institutions) must be doing something right if it has gone on for 34 years now. Many of the venues are pretty crowded as it is, and the parking situation seems to work OK as it is. If it got more publicity, it might not remain the event that we've come to know and enjoy so much!

Username: 48202

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there. Noel Night is always a wonderful event in 48202.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, I guess what I find a little disconcerting is when I tell people I'm heading down to Noel Night, they look at me like "Huh? Where's that being held?" and that's from lifelong Detroiters!

I do agree though, there is a certain point when it could conceivably get out of hand with the crowds. There seems to be quite a fair amount of people attending now. I guess it just baffels me why or how some people have never heard of it despite it being around for 34 years.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're quite right, Smogboy, that there are still way too many people that don't know that Noel Night exists. I run into the same thing. I'm guessing many of them are the same folks who don't read a newspaper or watch or listen to the news either, where this event and many others are listed and often covered with a preview article. You snooze, you lose! And if you don't read or watch or listen to the media, you miss out on great events in Detroit and around the metro area.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea it was held yet...I really want to go one year, but it never gets enough media attention to alert me to when it is...

Kathleen

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953: Mark "Noel Night" on the first Saturday in December 4-9pm on your 2007 calendar. That should serve as a reminder...as long as you look at your calendar!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.