Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Winter Blast '07 « Previous Next »
Motown Winter Blast 2007 ?Skamour1449 11-26-06  12:35 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine at school (Wayne State), said there was a publicist who came into his class to give a presentation, and also mentioned that there would be a winter blast in 07 on february 9th-11th.

I'm not sure if this is just a repost of known info, but I remember a thread not too long ago talking about the cancellation of the winter blast due to its sole purpose of accommodating the Super Bowl. I also dug up this 2 week old article.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061122/NEW S99/61122027/1003/NEWS01

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10977
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! This was one event I was hoping I could look forward to year after year.

Pagesix1536
Username: Pagesix1536

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They gotta bring that back. Wifey and I went to it to do something different and had a great time. We weren't really there for the football game at all...just wanted to be around all the action and enjoy a fun time in Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not fail to notice the headline's title, "motown winter blast MAY be coming back" (emphasis added). Everyone seemed pretty sure and convinced that it wasn't going to happen in that other post to which you are referring. When a consensus happens in 'DetroitYES!' chances are it's true.

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only used that news story as a credible tie to the information heard down on campus today from some sort of publicist giving a presentation. The two week old article says plans will be released the first week of December if it indeed does take place. This week is.....

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I inquired via email to the Winter Blast website in mid-November, I got this response:

The dates of the MWB 2007 are February 9-11th. Please check our website www.motownwinterblast.com in the coming weeks for more information.

Thanks for your interest!
Motown Winter Blast

So keep checking their website to see if they've posted anything: http://www.motownwinterblast.c om/

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Everyone seemed pretty sure and convinced that it wasn't going to happen in that other post to which you are referring. When a consensus happens in 'DetroitYES!' chances are it's true.

Unless, of course, the forum members who know differently have been asked to keep it quiet.

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should all keep checking that link so they see the number of hits they're getting. That will give them an idea of attendance and bang for the buck for sponsors.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome to click, but I don't think it's necessary.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently somebody came up with some money to make it happen. Since its being pulled together at the last minute, it will probably be scaled down from last year's, but it looks like its a definite go. Yaaaaayyyyy!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, no matter how small it is it will be better than not having anything at all, because the more annual it is, the better a chance of it getting some sort of momentum behind it.

Yvette248

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Its amazing that something so simple has the power to pull our entire dysfunctional region together.

:-)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since its being pulled together at the last minute, it will probably be scaled down from last year's, but it looks like its a definite go.

Definitely smaller than last year's event. The Super Bowl isn't here to give it that added boost. Plus, the auto companies aren't in any position to sponsor it this time around.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the thread where we all were sure it wasn't happening:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/87289.html

I hope it does happen.

Yvette248

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My previous post that it was a definite go came from an inside source. It's not speculation.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, here is ur previous post:

"Sorry guys: no more Winter Blasts. Even though it was extremely popular, it was also very expensive. No sponsor = no party."

Yvette248

Post Number: 287
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read some more Spirit. I said my "previous" post, not my "original" one.

(smile)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one noticed this comment from today's Detroit News. Anyone know Mr. Allen?

Events such as this year's Motown Winter Blast and the Super Bowl have helped spur a resurgence in downtown and showcase the city's newer jewels, said Jim Townsend of the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Alongside other attractions, he said, the park demonstrates how downtown Detroit "offers urban walkability on a grand scale that pulls people in."

And they are lured to nearby restaurants that allow people to extend their day, said city spokesman Matt Allen, who added that plans are being finalized for a Winter Blast '07.

"It adds fuel to the synergy going on downtown," he said. "Now we have something to gather around."

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's spokesman...

What happened to Howard Hughey anyway?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, this is great news, i thought it was dead for sure. i avoided this thread at first cause i thought it was the previous one where it was said there was not going to be a winter blast 07, and i didn't want to focus on the negative - it upset me cause i thought this was a great thing for the city, and i was really looking forward to taking my kids to it. i only heard about it from a link on the campus martius ice rink thread, and it made my day.

the lower budget does not surprise me, and does not disappoint me - we can't expect a super bowl-sized party every year!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It adds fuel to the synergy going on downtown," he said. "Now we have something to gather around."

I just get goose bumps every time someone uses that word.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11016
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dork.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guilty as charged.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news

Winter Blast set to return

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20061211/NEWS99/ 61211078

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn I was just about to post that.

Toog05

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news though, I wonder how big will they make the event.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing bigger than the first year, but obviously smaller than last year.

Toog05

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good hopefully this can become an annual event (I'm quite sure it will) and it can get bigger and better each year

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.