Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Worst kept secret in town « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its been up here before and is old news by now, but at least its good news.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006612030578
im excited to see whats going to happen on the mcnichols campus, but i can't seem to get any specific dirt about specific work projects. dorms are up for a facelift and the student recreation center is on the books. with outer drive under wcc a new theatre has to be built and a conference space will need to be here too.
rumor has it the new president has been doing a little house cleaning up in administration so hopefully more good things to follow.

ps-anyone who has any good contacts with local architecture firms that will need summer interns would be appreciated. i know any firms doing michigan-only work are hurting bad, but i'd like to stay in michigan this summer. people keep asking me if im going to stay here when i graduate. i love detroit and consider it my new home. our generation is gonna be the one that has to make a critical investment to bring this place around again and i want to be an active participant.

Fho
Username: Fho

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck to you. I graduated in 2001 and have yet to find a job in architecture. People keep telling me to move away. Realistically it's too late now anyway. I admire your wish to stay here, but don't let it limit your career.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U of D has had financial troubles since building the McNichols campus in the 1920s, beginning with the Depression. Now I don't think that Detroit Mercy can afford this sort of expenditure in the next few decades, but I guess if you build it, they will come (students that is).

PS-With your architecture degree, you won't be able to stay in MI unless you already are working at a firm there.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am quite interested as a student to see what happens with the McNichols Campus.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 975
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now I don't think that Detroit Mercy can afford this sort of expenditure in the next few decades...

wrong; they completed a multi-million dollar ($150 i think) building funds campaign last year. sister maureen fay stayed on as dean to make sure it was fulfilled.

quote:

PS-With your architecture degree, you won't be able to stay in MI unless you already are working at a firm there.

wrong. i got a job a few months after graduating in 2003 then moved onto another, better job a year later. granted, it's not the easiest profession to get into around here, but there are opportunities.

-rsa (RockStArchitect)

(Message edited by rsa on December 06, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1960, the University of Detroit was second-largest Catholic university in enrollment in the country--ahead of Saint Louis University in St. Louis and behind Marquette University--all Jesuit schools that have seen better days, especially in the case of the UoD.

Hybridy

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul you couldn't be more wrong
udm is actually posting year end finances in the black for some years now
enrollment has been steadily increasing and the quality of incoming freshman (act scores) has been consistently higher than years past
i know for one the soa is also raising standards for admission to the masters program

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that UDM is doing better. I was told the fiscal information to which I referenced by the university archivist. Definitely the SOA is a good school, I just found it hard to get a job in Architecture in MI after finishing there--that's why I am hear. Just my opinion and experience, not yours. Finally, the Legacy Campaign did reach over 125 million, but with that money already being allocated, it is essentially gone:

-$80-million investment in the city that will include a larger dental clinic
-$50 million more on its other two campuses for renovation and construction.
(quotes from the article)

80+50=130 million

So I was just basically a little nervous with those numbers and the past history of the school's finances according to what I had heard from a university staffer.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 968
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't hurt'em RSA, Don't Hurt'em!

Hybridy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the legacy campaign money went toward the health professions school and the renovations at c & f and architecture
plus i.t. upgrades-among other things
i don't know who your source is but i don't see you in the fisher administration building
or do i?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the first time last year the School of Architecture was a donor to the University (meaning that it gave UDM more money than it took from it). The 80 million for that new dental school seems like it would put UDM possibly too far down the whole with hopes that as student enrollment increases, that would be the way to get back out. Hybridy, since you work in the Fisher Admin. Building, what is the fiscal year income as well as expenses for the university?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hybridy - I'd caution against putting out the university's financials.

The $80M was not exclusively for the dental school. Only approx a quarter of that was initially earmarked for the new dental school.

Hybridy

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

highly doubtful that i have that kind of pull to get those stats
sorry

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are exapnding the dental school downtown. Right now they accept only 78 of the over 1500 applicants.

There is clearly a demand for the UDM Dental school, as UM is the only other one in the state of michigan

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank goodness I thought the big secret was going to be that I am really Carl Levin!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.