Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Crime in Corktown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the last week and a half, my office has been broken into twice, and a business two doors down was broken into yesterday at about 6:30 P.M.... Are any Corktowners, NorthCorktowners, or Woodbridgers noticing a spike in crime recently?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Things are all cool out here in Richmond.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people doing some last minute smashing and grabbing for the holidays I suspect :/

Mudflap

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...Somebody is getting computers and printers for Christmas! They say it is better to give than than to receive during the Holidays, so I am looking to give a Corktown style assbeating to whoever I catch committing crime in our neighborhood.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Mudflap; I know the feeling. :-( The real penalty is the loss of time reestablishing the software and data on the replacements. I hope the perps get caught soon.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing new to report on leverette. the occasional litterer but thats all the crime I have seen around here lately. Although I do wish to start a Neighborhood watch. Last year there were a couple of cars broken into, but nothing too much to speak of.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7401
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they discontinue those drive-arounds after Slows had their minor issues earlier in the year?!

I thought there was some discussion of citizen patrols in the last few neighborhood meetings. Told my aunt to make SURE they increased specifically 30-60 days after a loss because thieves usually 'know' to go back after the insurance company replaces things. They've already been inside, and unless things changed, they already know where to look.

What about a few low-res internet cams...maybe from across the street...that a few of us could access periodically?

More than a few of us are nighthawks...just have to employ those who are already awake...as eyeballs that can contact the nearest patrol directly if and when they see something on the net.

I'd do low-res, because some people might not want their faces seen doing legitimate business on that block...but internet cams don't have to be public, so it might be moot.

Mercury looks towards your block...you look towards it...give a few of us the password to the webpage with the cameras, we open the page when we're surfing late.

I'd volunteer, especially if it meant a reward if I ever partook in nailing someone you could beat up. I don't want to watch, though.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the Slows issue?

Gannon

Post Number: 7406
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing but one fellow harassing people, from what I heard.

They organized a few eyeballs, and the problem went away.

It was never a big deal, but I'm sure they knew better than to let anything get out of hand.

That is the spirit we should all have. We've never been able to rely upon the police for protection against random crime. Best they could EVER do is file a report and make statistics...they are a feedback loop not a preventative forward-thinking one.

I'm still pissed at one of my Vivio's drinking buddies...someone came back INTO the bar last night saying they SAW someone trying to break into a truck next to this guy's loft.

He didn't even look up in curiosity. His reply? Fuck 'em, nobody watched when MY car was stolen.

I'd say he is part of the problem.

To be part of the solution, we all need to notice things out of the ordinary, and IF we cannot get the police to respond...and that looks to be a certainty for a while...then we need to protect our own neighborhoods.

Doesn't need to be 'initially' violent or offensive...this could be JUST like a silent defensive protest...just WATCH those around you. Make sure you know your neighbors and communicate with them for your aggregate protection.

It will only serve to make this city stronger and tighter.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it be illegal to set up a "honeypot" house with nice stuff visible through the windows, a flimsy door, etc. - and then, inside, have several people waiting with shotguns?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pot call the kettle black? Someone or you could have went outside to scare of the person messing with the car.

That is called entrapment Salvadordelmundo.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you go to Vivio's on saturday's upstairs?

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not entrapment. Entrapment is a different concept. It means you induce someone to do something they otherwise wouldn't have done. For example, if an undercover cop tries to get someone to sell drugs by making threats against the person's mom. That's entrapment.

Simply arranging a house a certain way within the confines of the law is not entrapment. That's because no one is induced to do anything. We have an expectation that people aren't supposed to commit burglary.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about Saturdays, but Gannon can sometimes be found there on a Friday.

As for any crime, I haven't heard of anything going on up in North Corktown, knock on wood.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Salvadordelmundo. 6:30pm break ins? Jeez they don't even wait until the middle of the night.

Maybe not shotguns. Don't really need more deaths. But what about just getting them inside and then locking the doors automatically (like they do with carjackers and decoy cars)? Or wait inside with a taser and a shotgun as backup (in case they're cranked up on something and the taser doesn't work)?

I have zero tolerance for crimes of any sort. I know it is awful, but I really wish you were allowed to go to town in any way you wanted if you catch someone in a crime. I'm sure it would deter further crimes. Criminals do it now cause they know they probably won't get caught. If they thought they might get shot upon entry through a door or window, maybe they wouldn't do it.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just the usual... that damn illegal after-hours techno club on Bagley and 14th, and the illegal dumping that goes on in the alley adjacent to it.

Mudflap

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found out that another business on my block was broken into last night. That's 4 break-ins in 9 days. Also, a friend of mine was jumped a few weeks ago in NoCo. He ended up in the hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung. I may have to rock it like Supersport and get some gnarly dogs and a CCW.

Gannon

Post Number: 7409
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enduro,

Never on a schedule, but Saturdays upstairs is one of my more regular haunts. This week, I'm out-of-town, though.

If you're there often, we've seen each other.

Matt,
I never stay upstairs on Fridays unless YOUR posse is making great noises up there...it just ain't the same without that energy! I just bounce immediately to Bert's if you or Dutch Dave or a few of the other maniacs aren't encamped.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember that it only takes one yo-yo to be responsible for a whole string of break-ins.

Gannon

Post Number: 7413
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you've got to really watch him on the snap-back and loop-de-loop too...but locking said yo-yo inside a house or car might end up with YOU getting in trouble for false imprisonment...although that may be more a problem with retail shoplifting.

Shoplifters get better attorneys.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to say I like the web of webcams idea.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, whatever they do, cameras, citizen patrols, what have you, they should get started. I walk the area of North Corktown and Woodbridge quite a bit,and I have seen a notable increase in petty crime, break-ins, broken car windows, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.