Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Powerhouse Jefferson closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a membership at Lifetime Fitness back in July...when Powerhouse offered that unreal deal, turns out I made the right move.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So. This is what, the third time, now?

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Lifetime Fitness are you a member of Eastside? I recently cancelled my membership at the Shelby Twp location because I moved back into the city. I can't see a 38 - 48 mile round trip drive to the gym. I did love it there..

I still have thru the end of the month to go back before I have to pay the initial fees again.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man, that blows. good thing i ignore fitness.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 921
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the rumors of a Lifetime Fitness in Grosse Pointe?

I was a victim of that powerhouse's first "unbelievable deal" two and a half years ago. Even when they opened back up, they held very odd hours. That place is doomed.

Join the Boll YMCA.

(Message edited by jfried on December 06, 2006)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that the owner filed for bankruptcy protection a few weeks ago. It seemed unlikely that the that doors would be open much longer. Speaking of doors, the broken window and door on the Jefferson Ave. side of the building that was boarded up six months ago and never fixed to this day broadcast a very strong signal to potential gym members that the bills at that place weren't getting paid.

What is it about that location that it can't support a gym? Is the facility poorly laid out? Is it poorly staffed or operated in some way? Or are there simply not enough customers in the neighborhood?

(Message edited by swingline on December 06, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only there were rapid transit down Jefferson...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10989
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit, fattest city in the U.S., nuff said.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fatter = bigger boobs

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7404
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but after a certain point, even THEY become more liability than asset.

Induced-whiplash-atcha!

Supersport

Post Number: 10991
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooters.....Hustler. There, now that this thread is back on track. :-)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3005
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Detroit!

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 986
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...at the Canton location, my girlfriend lives out there...so I dont drive just for the gym.

Roaringmouse
Username: Roaringmouse

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I was on my way out the door to go to the gym when I heard the news, I drove by there on my way back from the Staples (yeah!) grand opening. The sign says people will no longer be billed if you're on the monthly plan (duh) and current members can use the YMCA until January 31.
I'm going to the Y in about an hour so I'll report back on the truth of that tonight.

Supersport

Post Number: 10995
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside,

As somebody who has seen 3 Powerhouses come and go, I can honestly say that I saw this coming too. As soon as those unbelievable deals pop up in the windows in the flourescent colors you know your days are limited.

Roaringmouse

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was over a year ago, SS.

Roaringmouse

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Y says they're honoring Powerhouse memberships through December 31st.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think those Gym Memberships are the best Value. I like the Y, I get a structured class, Aerobics this semester, twice a week for two months. This only costs me $55. What's the membership for Lifetime up to now? $60 / month? Usually you are promised the moon and the stars, once you sign up you are ignored, and don't work out smart, get discouraged or injured and don't end up going back routinely.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4074
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you think about it, the good ol' venerable YMCA has been around a LOT longer than any of these gyms. And no longer are they just a dusty old gym with outdated equipment and a ratty looking medicineball to toss around. Thank goodness for the Y.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.