Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » 1968 Northwest Detroit Buyers Guide « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased it for one dollar at Library Bookstore on 9 mile rd. In Ferndale. Some things that jumped out at me besides $3500. for a new Impala, was a diaper cleaning service; there were no Foreign auto dealerships listed; many Jewish names so obviously the Detroit Jewish community had moved to that area of the city. I also picked up a Rosedale Park Neighborhood Improvement Association newspaper. Very conservative.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting...Northwest Detroit was the site of many bitter housing battles between proponents of public housing and opponents. I will see if I can find any information on Rosedale in Thomas Sugrue's book, which I am rereading now, but I imagine that the Rosedale Park Neighborhood Improvement Association may have been involved in those battles. Typically, "Neighborhood Improvement Associations" were groups that fought against racial integration of areas, as well as the construction of public housing.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By 1968, NW Detroit Jewish population was well into the move Northwest. Southfield, Franklin, Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield were the newer Jewish areas. The interesting comparison would be the 1970 directory for the same area comparing number of Jewish names. The exodus, prompted by the riots, was fast and furious with entire blocks of houses changing hands over the summer.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool stuff Terryh.

I'd be interested in seeing both documents. While the buyers guide is likely pretty thick, I'd think the RPIA newsletter would be relatively easy to scan and post. Any potential that could happen? I know several posters who live or once lived in Rosedale that would be very interested in the newsletter. There's also one poster here who's parents are now the current editors of the RPIA newsletter. They, and the RPIA folks, would likely be very interested in it.

As far as Sugrue mentioning RPIA, he doesn't. As a Rosedale Park resident I've looked several times for any mention of RPIA in his book. Judging by the historical documents I've seen from the era, RPIA and the other upper middle class neighborhoods fought their battles over low income housing, integration, etc. behind the scenes with their connections to the levers of power. You can find references to vague code words sometimes, but you won't find the N word or other blatantly offensive language used. They were too worried about image to publicly spew venom. Rosedale Park has also had a handful of Jewish residents through out most of its history. It's never been large numbers like Palmer Park, University District and other areas considered Northwest Detroit (Rosedale is typically classified as Far Northwest Detroit).

It's the more blue collar neighborhoods, like Brightmoor (which Sugrue mentions a few times) who were openly and vitrolicly racist. Brightmoor apparently lost the fight on public housing since they have the Smith Homes. RPIA may have lost that battle as well since there's only one neighborhood "padding" Rosedale from the "projects".

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos,

Thanks very much for the information. I checked last night and, as you said, there is no mention of the RPIA in Sugrue's book. In fact, his only mention of Rosedale at all is that it was a wealthy area with large houses.

Bvos, what is Rosedale like now? Is it a racially integrated area? What ethnicities are most of the residents? As someone not from Detroit, but very interested in learning about the city, I would be interested in any information you could provide.

Bvos

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today it actually has a higher percentage of black folks than the city as a whole. Income levels are higher than most well to do suburban communities.

Despite the higher concentration of black folks, the area has long been seen as a neighborhood that white folks are welcomed and appreciated in. The fact that the leadership and active volunteerism of most neighborhood groups (RPIA, GRDC, etc.) is around half or more white may or may not confirm this perception.

Terryh

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Thomas Sugrues book which Ive also read and don't recall Rosedale Park mentioned, and yes bvos I will scan the magazine (or sections thereof) when I get over to my friends as I, believe it or not don't have my own system yet.

Terryh

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something else I noticed was the abundance of Independent and local chains of pharmacies, before the monopolization by CVS; Rite Aid; Walgreens and other giants....

Bvos

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully you can find some time over the holidays. No rush, but I (and likely Rustic and 65memories) would enjoy seeing them when you get around to it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedale Park is one of the most integrated neighborhoods in the city... but that still isn't saying much.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4587
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to understand Rosedale Park in its ugliest times, read about Thomas Poindexter.

jjaba.

Bvos

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed,

Rosedale Park is not one of the most integrated. It may be a place where white folks are socially comfortable/accepted, but there are far fewer white people in Rosedale Park (about half as many) than the city as a whole. That's pretty bad!

SW Detroit and Corktown are far more integrated.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Rosedale Park, last bastion of Black Detroit in a changing city!

Terryh

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will definatly make an effort bvos.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.