Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit Snow Days « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan_snowflake
Username: Michigan_snowflake

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I now realise just how sissy-fied Southeastern Mi is. It has been snowing for 7 days up here, 2 ft on the ground by my house, and not one snow day.

I havent seen this much snow since the blizzard in the 70's.

This snow would close Detroit and the burbs for a few day, but we just keep driving through it with our 4 wheel drives.

We are, again, under a Lake Effect Snow warning today, Lake Michigan is a snow machine.

I was always disappointed with winter downstate, never enough snow for me. This place is heaven.

this is miss cleo, btw, my password has gone AWOL

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a nice base at Boyne, and I shall be there shortly. Access to skiing would be a major selling point in making the move up North like you have done. Nothing gives me an attitude adjustment more than skiing. Just hope my knees hold out so I can keep it up.

I work with a guy who grew up by Marquette. He just told me he missed 46 days of school his Senior year due to snow. they stayed in class until July to make up for it. Wouldn't like that at all.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 734
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better you than us Miss C. Enjoy. :-)
(I don't mind cold, but don't enjoy snow driving.)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We are, again, under a Lake Effect Snow warning today, Lake Michigan is a snow machine.

10" for Northern Indiana/Southwest Michigan today.

(Message edited by hysteria on December 07, 2006)

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hysteria....please stop with the hysteria. I plow snow...and there ain't 10 inches coming for SE Michigan.

Wish there was though !

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he meant southwest Michigan...

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11001
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad Miss Cleo's password went AWOL, I hated that bitch. :-)

Hysteria

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe he meant southwest Michigan...

I did. Good catch. Thanks

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hysteria, are you sure about 10"? i'm headed out that way tomorrow and so i already checked the weather for kalamazoo and it mentions maybe 1-3 inches.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/foreca st/MapClick.php?CityName=Kalam azoo&state=MI&site=GRR

Hysteria

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't say for sure, Jtw. It's not snowing at the moment but was heavily a few minutes ago.

Heavy snow in NW Indiana
Tribune staff reporter
December 7, 2006, 6:36 AM CST

Many Northwest Indiana motorists are having a slow morning commute.

The National Weather Service says significant lake effect snow is falling today in northern Indiana. Forecasters predict 6 to 10 inches of snow in the area by this evening, with some spots getting a foot of snow. Blustery winds could blow the snow, reducing visibility.

Some northern Indiana schools are delaying the start of classes today.

State Police report a few slide-offs on the Indiana Toll Road.

Ice and snow are also causing problems on central Indiana roads. Police report numerous slide-offs and several jackknifed semis.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ news/local/chi-061207indiana-s now,1,2647049,print.story?coll =chi-news-hed

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the snow is the reason why I close down the cabin in the winter.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Grand Rapids.....closer you go to the lake, the more that lake effect picks up. That stretch of 94 when you are curving around the bottom end of Lake Michigan can be a total whiteout if the conditions are right.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a few years back (3-5 years) when there was the 60-some car pileup on I-94 West of Kalamazoo. I was driving to Illinois at the time, got frustrated with the stopped traffic, and ended up meandering my way through country roads in SW Michigan to get to US-12. I found out later what had happened, and that I was only about 1 mile away from being involved.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny...everything is relative.

Last winter we took a trip to London for Christmas/New Years. The day we landed in the UK, there were winter weather advisories touting "the Storm of the Century" for London. Possible 4 inches of snow.

It was really sounded ridiculous, but it was awful for them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.