Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » 4.2 earthquake just north of us today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqc enter/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/42 .52.-85.-75.php

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat.

Closer to home, there have been a couple of small earthquakes right outside of the Windsor area this year.

One just north of Wheatley last May (a 2.2) and another one near Amherstburg in late October (a 2.3). Actually it was closer to Grosse Ile after looking at a map of the coordinates

(Message edited by yupislyr on December 08, 2006)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever wondered what would happen if we had an earthquake that ruptured the Great Lakes basin?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope. ha, that would cause problems though

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/zo om/?view=eveday&lon=-83&lat=46

Looks like there was also a 4.1 last week a bit closer.

The Niagara escarpment is always an earthquake generator, particularly in the eastern Lake Eire area. I guess we can't simply have a 160 drop in the continental shelf without some lingering consequences. When one considers that the great Asian Tsunami of last year was created by a 90 foot drop in the sea shelf, could a Lake Eire tsunami be in our future?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3211
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well considering that Lake Erie is only about 200+ ft deep, a 90 foot drop would be very interesting!

Somehow (and I am no expert here) deep water contributes to tsunamis. Not exactly sure what effect an earthquake has in shallow water.

Qweek

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to camp the Bruce Peninsula area last summer with my son, hoping to go this coming year, as long as Lake Erie stays put! Anyone ever hike & camp in the area? It looks very beautiful there, rugged on one side, sandy beaches on the other...NICE. This area is the starting point of the Niagra Escarpment Trails? Anyway, back to the subject, 4.1 & 4.2, pretty good shake if you ever felt a quake.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much every quake in the GL region and Northwards is from isostatic rebound from the last Ice Age.(the crust still rising from the relief of the weight of the glaciers)

Most of these are from differences of the rate of rebound from the different parts of the Canadian Shield (craton), if I remember my geology classes correctly. Michigan is part of a large syncline, basin, that adjoins the shield.

This could be complete BS, as I haven't kept up with the latest developments in geophysics, so make of it as you will.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see where this thread is going, and it has about as much to do with Detroit as adult men playing with Legos. Shouldnt this be in non-Detroit issues?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5256
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are small tremors and great Earthquakes around the Great Lakes and the Canadian Shield area for thousands of years. Some quakes could reached up to 6.0 on the Richter Scale. Detroit could get on in about next thousands of years.

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were parked at the Scott Fountain when it happened.

I asked my date "Did the earth move for you too?"

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were you on a date with that Frenchman dude?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6052
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qweek, I go camping & hiking every year in the Bruce Peninsula, e-mail me at - andrew@internationalmetropolis .com, and I'd be happy to give you more information.

Qweek

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Aiw, that's great!

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
the Niagara escarpment does NOT produce any earthquakes. It is not a fault line. It formed due to unequal erosion, between dolomite limestone and weaker rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_escarpment

(Message edited by chow on December 08, 2006)

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your midwest and east coast quakes are felt over a greater area, the crust is really strong. Out on the left coast you can have no damage 30 miles away from the epicenter, the grounds so fault ridden it just peters out.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed some small earthquakes in Missouri. The fault you want to worry about is in Missouri where the largest earthquake in recorded time occured.

http://hsv.com/genlintr/newmad rd/

"Among them are three earthquakes that occurred in 1811 and 1812 near New Madrid, MO. They are among the Great earthquakes of known history, affecting the topography more than any other earthquake on the North American continent. Judging from their effects, they were of a magnitude of 8.0 or higher on the Richter Scale. They were felt over the entire United States outside of the Pacific coast. Large areas sank into the earth, new lakes were formed, the course of the Mississippi River was changed, and forests were destroyed over an area of 150,000 acres. Many houses at New Madrid were thrown down. "Houses, gardens, and fields were swallowed up" one source notes. But fatalities and damage were low, because the area was sparsely settled then.

The probability for an earthquake of magnitude 6.0 or greater is significant in the near future, with a 50% chance by the year 2000 and a 90% chance by the year 2040. A quake with a magnitude equal to that of the 1811- 1812 quakes could result in great loss of life and property damage in the billions of dollars. Scientists believe we could be overdue for a large earthquake and through research and public awareness may be able to prevent such losses."

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7458
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT'S encouraging news...thanks Bibs!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not exactly sure what effect an earthquake has in shallow water.

The distance the tsunami has to travel and gain strength to shore is also a factor.

I've been through a couple scary quakes in upstate NY.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

felt over the entire United States outside of the Pacific coast

The standard tag-line about the New Madrid earthquake is that it was so strong it set church bells ringing in Boston

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker,
You have a pretty good memory from your college geology classes!

This area in Canada used to be over former plate tectonic boundaries known as the Kenoran Super continent. This boundary for the most part ran east west through northern Wisconsin, and north of Michigan's LP into Canada. It also extended north south, west of present day Michigan down to Missouri. Basically about 2.5-2 billion years ago the area was a failed rift zone that failed to separate completely. In gist, those areas crust was thinned out, ideal for basin formation.

While I doubt the former plate boundaries contribute much to earthquakes, it is quite surreal to know that the Midwest once had mountains comparable to the Rockies.

source:
http://my.execpc.com/~acmelasr/mountains/wisgeo.html

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could feel an earthquake from way up there in Detroit?! Seriously?

Out here, if the earthquake is over 4 and more than 30 miles away, I'm luck if I feel it.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 384
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jerome81...

when i was in college at udm about 6 years ago, there was a fairly sizeable earthquake that happened in mid-ohio (i think it was about a 4). i was in class at the time, on the second floor of a three story building, and thought someone had kicked the back of my chair, and when i turned around to see who it was, all of a sudden everyone said, "did you feel that?"

it wasn't anything really big or scary, but definitely noticeable.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3220
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the dreaded New Madrid fault... That earthquake changed the course (and for a short period even the directional flow) of the Mississippi River. If that fault has another major eruption (this time there are major population centers nearby)... it could do horrific damage to nearby Memphis, and maybe St. Louis.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that one, Valkyrias, my desk wasn't anchored to anything and was shimmying all over the place. I was afraid it was going to fall apart.

There was also a notable one when I was little. I was listening to a Tigers game and Ernie Harwell's confusion about what was going on was obvious. He thought someone was on top of the press box at first, but (IIRC) noticed that the entire upper deck of Tiger Stadium was swaying.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.