Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » A bit of reality « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a column honestly written about Detroit by Sarah Klein.I am surprised it has not been posted here but considering the tenor of the column perhaps I shouldn't be.

You all might take notice that what has, among other things prompted here leaving is the failure of Detroit administrations to do any thing meaningful to reduce crime.

What strikes me is that here is a person that fits almost to a tee the demographic of the person that is going to help revive Detroit. And who knows what she has in common with a poor ghetto Mother except that lack of consistent basic city services and intractable crime are what is driving them both away.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9924

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And who knows what she has in common with a poor ghetto Mother except that lack of consistent basic city services and intractable crime are what is driving them both away

You need to read a little closer - what she has in common with a poor ghetto Mother is that which she comments on the most - trying to get by living in an economically devastated environment. Crime barely gets a passing mention.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting, this sounds a little too much like this article from about a year and a half ago...

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7627

and you know what? we all know it's tough to live in this city, region and state thanks to the economy and any number of other issues going on around here. we are not blind to it. and i don't know why all of a sudden it became to cool for these writers to write columns like this...they think they are being nostalgic and trying to justify their leaving, but really, it comes out sounding like they are glad to get the hell outta dodge and just so happen to have the ability to flaunt it (and to take one last jab at the city while they're at it).

if you feel like you have to leave for whatever reason, do it. if you feel guilty about it, well, that's not my problem. explain it all you want, but the fact of the matter is, you got a better opportunity, you gave up on what you had here, you moved on...but such is life, and you're not unique.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think she was trying to say she was unique at all. Actually the opposite. What her exact motive was for writing the article I don't know, but I can tell you many other residents feel just like she does about this city. They just don't have the chance to write huge articles in newspapers about it. Rag on Kline all you want, it won't change one thing at this point.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...but I can tell you many other residents feel just like she does about this city."

and at the very beginning of my comment i said the same thing. my comment was also based in part on something she said on her personal blog a couple months back. she was not so nice in what she had to say there. and i am not trying to rag on her nor am i trying to change anything.

i also know MANY people who have fled this city/region/state for economic reasons, and just like i did with them, i wish her the best of luck. however most of them have not had the attitude like she does...whether that attitude is warranted or not could be up for debate. and hearing stories like this, specifically from people who ARE able to advertise their leaving, wearing it like a badge of honor and acting it's some kind of rite of passage, just makes me want to roll my eyes.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but that column sucked. I'm not going to pat anyone on the back and say they made some valid points if their solution is to run from the problems. Of course there are more glorious places to live, and, sigh, places that don't have rough roads, but by God don't bash a city that is in the midst of a great turnaround just because you want to move. She should have said, "it's not you, it's me."

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 754
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL - moving here to CA? I hope she never wants to buy a hou$$$$e!

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 444
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sound jealous. If you didn't know, the job opportunities out in CA. are a bit better then MI. right now. With a little luck, she'll be able to get a job that will pay enough to buy a house. That is, if she even wants to buy a house.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11012
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A cultural writer heading to California? Uh, yeah, tons of culture there. I still say "Don't let the door hit ya in the ass honey!" Your story has been told over and over again for the past 50 years or so. It seems it simply took you 7 years to figure out that Detroit WASN'T for you.

Detroit is a love-hate relationship for many of us. I think you'd be hard pressed to find people that didn't have quite a list of things that pissed them off. Yet at the same time, even you took note of the things that make Detroit unique. Things that you simply will not find in other cities, period.

I just wish people who were gonna go would just go. The whiney ass drivel and excuses grow old. This article sounds damn near word for word to one that I read elsewhere, and it wasn't the one that Valkyrias listed above. Oh shit, I know where it was, it was on here by PaulJ about a year or so ago.

The one excuse I can accept from people as an excuse to leave is the economy. Yet I'd bet money that every person that leaves this state using that excuse more than likely voted for Granholm. I write this as I sit unemployed, with a hopeful job opportunity on the horizon. For me, the day I would have to leave Detroit would be one of the worst days of my life. I wouldn't feel relieved like the girl in the article who moved to North Carolina, I'd be homesick from day one.

PS...is there any chance she could take Jack Lessenberry's whiney ass with her? California seems like a perfect fit for him as well, and with a Republican Governor, he'd still have plenty of stuff to bitch and cry about on a weekly basis.

Oh yeah, and CL, not sure how you turned this into a "They're leaving Detroit because of crime" thread. She, and her friend, they mostly left because the economy sucks in this state. They didn't move from Detroit to a suburb, they left the damn state!

Citylover

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plenty of people are leaving Detroit because of crime sport. And she is leaving Detroit, she wrote about it in her column that I linked_ not Grand Rapids, not Ann Arbor, not Bay city; Detroit was the city she was writing about andf the city she is leaving.

Citylover

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh btw Sport I hope you find employment here so you don't have to leave_ Good luck!

Supersport

Post Number: 11013
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, what do you want? In my 5 years I've seen plenty of people leave, people that said they were here for the long haul. At the same time I've seen people fall in love with the city, move here, and quite a few even buy here. This girl crying on her little soap box is nothing new. My friends who have been here decades more than I say people come and go, always have.

I'd love to REALLY dig into her little column, but I'm gonna save it for my blog, as I try to night write a book on here any longer. I will say this though, for all of her complaints she didn't make note anywhere that she did a damn thing to help make a change. She comes across as a girl who was here just for the good times and never wanted to put the time or effort in to make a difference. When the fun factor wore off she decided it was time to move on.

I've talked to people whom have lived in many other cities who say they have felt it to be much more dangerous in other cities when compared to Detroit, LA being one of them. I've heard first hand some stories in Miami as well. People in this region seem to stick their heads in the sand and refuse to accept that other major cities have problems, they see it simply as a Detroit thing.

This girl is gonna have one helluva reality check when she moves to some big city in California and comes out one morning to find her wheels stolen and windows busted out. Chicago, well I talked to a person on my last trip to Chicago who was born and raised there. The guy said he didn't have a single friend who wasn't a victim of a crime of some type, with the majority of them being mugged at one time or another.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 845
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kline is better known as a stripper.

Maybe the stripper industry is better where its warmer?

http://www.sparklydevil.com/

Yup, guess so. She has a gig tonight!

http://www.theblankclub.com/ca lendar.html

Supersport

Post Number: 11014
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My money is on she simply couldn't compete with the talent over in Windsor, so she had to move on.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover,
I don't know if you're the one who always posts about the crime but I've got to agree with you. Of course the economy is terrible now but that just adds to the problem.
I think the perception of Detroit as a crime-ridden city is one of the main problems. I don't know how it would happen but I think if the actual crime rate went down, a lot of things would fall into place for Detroit. I've lived here all my life and go through Detroit every day and there are many areas that are just plain scary looking. Anybody that denies that is delusional.
The first article mentions that after she moved she no longer felt pissed-off everyday. I think that I would feel the same way if I moved. Sometimes I just get pissed off when I see the way my hometown looks. There is just such a lack of aesthetically pleasing areas. I think there is also a general feeling of helplessness that makes people want to leave.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whiny, pussy little girl...

Lilpup

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just because an area is 'scary looking' doesn't mean it's crime ridden

remember - abandoned buildings and weedy lots don't commit crime, people do :-)

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wherever you go there you are. Geez, shes so creative.Me, I am getting the heck out of this city and moving to Detroit...
racial tension, earthquakes, flaky phony people,
too much silicone, just spending the day outdoors equivalent to breathing 1 pack of smokes from smog(and they ban smoking everywhere? typical hypocrisy here in LA,)freeway traffic...worst in the world, housing too expensive. illegals in my mix,
fires all the time burning the hills, mudslides,
foreign cars bought just to try to be trendy mostly,way too crowded, growing way too fast still,not even a pro football team...never mind... forgot that one..
her whole article reeks of elitism...Im better than you because you are blue collar...we creative people are blesssed and chosen or something...run, run run but you just cant hide...rap on sister rap on...

Citylover

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is crime ridden Lilpup. Nothing you say here changes that.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So a young professional gets a new job and moves away to a new home. It’s nothing that doesn't happen every day in every town.

I think the fact that Ms Klein chose to write her last column with a negative tone tells more about her than it does about the city.

Next.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya know what Cityhater? I never said there wasn't crime in Detroit, but I'm not blinded by it like you are.

Citylover

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

48202 people are leaving Detroit to the tune of thousands a year.No other city in modern history that I know of has lost the population that Detroit has.To imply that Ms Kleins leaving is similar in nature to what happens in other cities is specious.

Lilpup perhaps you have it backward and indeed you are blinded to the issue of crime in Detroit.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, crime is an issue in Detroit. I agree. But, I don't think it is an end-all issue. I now live in Baltimore and like Detroit, there is a major crime issue here also. Somehow however, it hasn't stopped the city from progressing. The downtown area like most of the neighborhoods surrounding it are walkable and packed with people. I sometimes think people in the Detroit area use the issue of crime as a justification not to support the city. The woman who wrote the article had other reasons to leave and I don't think she was being honest within her writing. I lived in the city of Detroit for many years and I was never a "victim" of crime. I left because of a good job offer. And... to be honest, I am happy with the decision. But not because of crime. I wanted to live in a place that I could walk to work and enjoy the assets that cities offer.

Supersport

Post Number: 11015
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 People dead on the front page of Chicago Tribune the other day. Three separate instances. One the guy was on trial for a murder back in September, another a lady was shot in the face waiting for a bus, and lastly some guy enters a downtown building and kills three people before the sniper takes the shooter out.

Crime sounds like a problem in Chicago according to those headline. Everybody should move out of Chicago to San Jose where it's safe!

Give me a fuckin' break dude. You're only fooling yourself if you truly believe that crime isn't an issue in most any city of significant size. Is it higher in Detroit? Perhaps slightly, yet it's really hard to compare when some of the largest cities such as Chicago refuse to submit their crime statistics to the FBI.

If you honestly believe a city of nearly a million people is going to magically turn into your little utopia you call Ann Arbor, you are sadly mistaken. Big cities = big problems.

Now I'm sure you're are going to pull out your New York City/Guilliani card now as proof of crime reduction, as you always do. Well, for every success story like New York there are dozens upon dozens of other cities who year after year are right on par with their previous year's crime stats.

I would love to know just how much effort this girl put into changing things, as she made absolutely no mention of ANY effort on her part. I see her as somebody who wants everything done for her, she doesn't want to be part of a communities success story, she simply wants things done and fixed for her. Now if that's not the case, then perhaps she should have chosen her words more carefully and not came across as somebody who had their fun, did their partying, and now needed a new spot.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take was that she couldn't find a boyfriend.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minor rant.

Is it common for Metrotimes writers to use curse words in their columns? I'm sure she's a very intelligent person, but she kind of comes across as a dolt.

The next time I hear someone cursing and sounding intelligent will be the first.

Am I just not getting the edginess that is the Metrotimes?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Supersport is spittin truth out in gallons on this thread. Especially those crime stats. Tell 'em how you really feel!

Atlanta and DC both became destinations while boasting some of the worst crime stats in the country. If anything, Detroit should be faulted for being honest!

An aside note, Engler is much more to blame for the state of Michigan's economy than Granholm. But hey, at least he has a job... down in Virginia.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport,

You keep going back to Ms. Klein's resume of efforts to make a change in the problems that she listed. That's a tough position for people to understand you taking, along with your projected superiority, without you first posting your own history of philanthropy, volunteerism and activism. Many folks either aren't interested, do not have the resources or expendable emotions to tackle activism on the scale that is needed in the City of Detroit. My take on Ms. Klein's article is that after waiting for the much discussed rebirth to happen here in Detroit she decided her emotions and time is better spent enjoying urban living than hoping/working/waiting for it. Good for her. I have seen you regularly say how Detroit isn't for everyone but in the same breath we often have you trying at every instance to convince nearly everyone that it is for them. Maybe it isn't for her. Maybe you haven't seen enough of other cities and regions to understand the attraction. Have you been to California?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't need her anyway. I am sure she will fit in perfectly in San Jose. I know my cousin adjusted well. She is on welfare, living in a $2000 a month 1 bedroom apartment. Using what she's got to get what she needs to get by. I am not downing my cousin, but this is the mentality that they adopt in this place.

When I read this article the very first person I thought of was my cousin. It is amazing how similar they are.

Have fun and good luck Ms. Kline!!!
Watch out for that door

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? If anything, its Klein that should show the resume of what she has done..and it best be real long for any credibility at all...not supersport.
I would think we can all respond to Klein without having to be members of some action committe with our resumes posted...geez...its called a forum isnt it?
Anyway,Klein wrote the letter throwing jabs first.
what? Rebirth of Detroit? Detroit is what it is. it wont be an LA, Chicago, NYC...nor should it be
detroit has been born already...doesnt need a re-birth...just needs to evolve into a better place to live...like all cities....
"Ask not what Detroit can do for you but what you can do for Detroit" Moreover, if living in LA is urban living...stick a pointed surfboard in me... I am done.

Citylover

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Buddy in Richmond_ I like the Buddy Rich reference.

If Ms.Klein were posting just the opposite you all would be fawning over her.If she were trying to buy a house in the city you would be offering her suggestions on where to live_ yet because she makes reasonable, valid points about why she is leaving you attack her with your endless supply of venom.

Sport you tend to read things or interpret things I have not said. I did not say crime was not an issue any where else. Crime is an issue in other cities.Does that really need to be said?

The difference is that the devastation crime has done to Detroit is so much more evident and damaging to Detroit then what has happened to any other city of similar size.

You can spout your crap about Chicago.Anyone that has spent time in Chicago is either going to ignore you as they would the rantings of some crazed street person_ or there gonna say your full of shit. Why? Because all anyone has to do is go to Lincoln park or, Rogers park or any of the thousands of vibrant neighborhoods in Chicago. In these neighborhoods are people,stores, colleges, restaurants......you get the idea I'm sure.

What is the Detroit counterpart? Gratiot and six mi? Harper and Van Dyke? Outer dr and Grenier?Sorry, no honest, sane, reasonable person is gonna buy what you are selling.

As for some of the other posts it appears your inner infant/ toddler has taken over the posting duties today_ Eric C and Broken Main come to mind.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2848
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is the Detroit counterpart?"
I'd say that it's Corktown.

Give the girl a break. We all have a love/hate relationship with Detroit. We all love her, and we'll defend her from strangers who point out her flaws. They've not spent any nights with her.
We have.
But sometimes we all wish she could be more than what she is.
We wish that she would not appear in public wearing dirty sweatpants.
We wish that she would get those broken teeth fixed, and that she would brush more often.

There were six houses added to my block this year.
Four more will be completed next month.
So while some of us move on, others are moving in, and as I've said before, cities thrive on new blood.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought she moved to San Jose.

Barnesfoto, Isn't it wonderful with all of the new housing?? I know those 4 lots at the end of my condo community are slated for 4-6 4 bedroom brick homes. That may be my next move. The Mrs. wants a home with a backyard and I do't want to leave the city just yet, so that may be the resolve to our dilemma

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, Chicago does not refuse to submit their crime statistics to the FBI.

This is a direct quote from that study:

"Chicago and Other Illinois Cities: For several years, rape numbers submitted by cities in the state of Illinois have not met the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) guidelines. This remains the case with 2005 crime data.

In the past, our award has received criticism because it omits Chicago in its rankings. While we understand this concern, it is our view that it is more important that rape be considered an important crime and kept in our methodology. However, to see how Chicago might fare in our rankings, we calculated a separate, internal ranking that took rape out of the formula. Under this scenario, Chicago came in as the 52nd most dangerous city."

Chicago includes male rape no one else does.

We have been through this before. Last year and the year before.

Lets get this over with. Chicago ranks 52nd in the nation for crime.

I do have a question. Do you hang out on the Chicago newspapers looking for crime to make you feel good about Detroit? If so you sound like a suburban Detroiter viewing the City of Detroit. Since you seem so stuck on Chicago's crime rate. Look at this this way. Detroit is 1/3 to 1/4 the size of Chicago but Detoit manages to pull almost the same number of murders as Chicago annually.

Another question. What is this obsession with Chicago amongst Detroiters anyway?

East_detroit

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better question...

Why did Citylover post this?

Citylover

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um.... because this is a Detroit site and forum

East_detroit

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what was the point you were trying to make?

Ordinary

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto,
I liked your post (#2848). That's kind of what I was trying to say.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably the point was that anyone making a personal choice to move out of Detroit for logical/rational reasons would be castigated by a majority of this forum. And when anyone uses personal safety as a reason, someone inevitably will try to make a comparison to how "bad" it is in other cities, too.

Sorry, Citylover, but that was my assumption. It probably wasn't your point, just my observation.

Supersport

Post Number: 11017
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You keep going back to Ms. Klein's resume of efforts to make a change in the problems that she listed. That's a tough position for people to understand you taking, along with your projected superiority, without you first posting your own history of philanthropy, volunteerism and activism.

I'm not the mother fucker moving to San Jose, I have no reason to justify shit. I'm here for the long haul non-buddy bitchin' in Richmond. What's your take on Detroit? You're in Richmond, so in all honesty, I could give two shits.

Philbert,

In regards to this:

Supersport, Chicago does not refuse to submit their crime statistics to the FBI.

This is a direct quote from that study:

quote:

"Chicago and Other Illinois Cities: For several years, rape numbers submitted by cities in the state of Illinois have not met the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) guidelines. This remains the case with 2005 crime data.

Yeah, so like you said, their "reports" don't meet the FBI guidelines, unlike most every other city in this nation. If you wanna try and convince yourself that the way Illinois/Chicago gather their statistics is above and beyond the way the federal government gathers theirs, well then, more power to you.

quote:

Lets get this over with. Chicago ranks 52nd in the nation for crime.

Chicago has more murders than Detroit, yet they twist their statistics so they come in 52nd? Good work Chicago! Perhaps Detroit needs to change the way they submit their findings.

I have a helluva lot to say on this topic, for this reason I plan to blog on it as opposed to post it on here, as some have become anti "dear diary" on here. Most all of you know my blog, if not, if you google "south of 8 mile" you'll find it.

I met 4 people today, all new people, all with a passion for Detroit. Some newbies, like the two Grosse Pointe WSU freshman filming an independent film downtown this morning.

Then there was the girl who had been here some years trying to group together all the non-profits to increase their power. She has a long term plan that will entail her parents and many of her friends buying into a neighborhood, taking on a revitalization effort as a group.

In addition, I talked to a couple long time Detroiters today whom I've known for awhile, Detroiters with heart, Detroiters who share the passion in which I have burning in my heart. People who aren't gonna move their ass to San Jose when they get dealt a poor hand.

Right now Detroit is building it's backbone, it's building a foundation for which will lead it into the future, a backbone consisting of both white AND black. That future will be be led by people like myself, who helped a friend who got the foreclosed house in my neighborhood. People like Histeric who have showed me the way. People like eap who helped me get my house through foreclosure. People like Michael who built my garage. People like Blondy who has started a doggy day care in Detroit, taking a gamble on the much more secure corporate lifestyle she was living. People like her fiancee has also wired up my house and garage. People like Mr Smith, who while doesn't live here, finished the wiring in my garage, as well as another of my friends, and whom will likely some day live here himself. People like Jerry Ballenger who open a bar offering a $1 discount on beer to Detroit residents, to show appreciation for their efforts, for moving to a city so many others have turned their backs on. To so many other who may have slipped my mind whom are right down here in the trenches, not giving up, and through their efforts are improving Detroit.

Fuck people like this girl for Metro Times who moved to California. "Detroiter in her" my ass, she simply hung out here for 7 years and never even got it as far as I'm concerned. It took me just 2.5 years before I truly started to understand "the real" Detroit, to which I have many friends to thank.

Fuck CL as too. He sits on his ass in Ann Arbor and complains about the crime in Detroit, yet doesn't do shit to help solve the problems. He is just another one of those people who wants everybody else to fix the problems. If he wants some respect, I want to see him down here walking the neighborhoods, participating in late night cb patrols, attending neighborhood meetings with the local precincts and giving recommendations as to how to fix the problems. Until then, why don't you just sit back and shut the fuck up? AFter all, back in the day he was part of the problem, coming down to my area and buying drugs, in turn supporting drug related crime. Yet now he has the fuckin' balls to complain about the crime in which he helped create? Must be nice to move away to a little safe haven, point your finger, and point out another communities faults. I'm so sick of these goddamn sideline cheerleaders who think they have it all figured out, yet don't even live here. Or perhaps people whom spent a few years here, bitched about it, but did nothing to fix the problems, then moved on.

Like I said, I'm gonna blog about this, as I have so much more to say, this has been on my mind since I read her trashy little "I'm so prissy and cool I'm moving to California" bullshit. Just give me a day or two and I'm gonna say what I'm REALLY feeling. That girl left because she never had the heart, she was simply faking it for 7 long years. Detroit will have people like her, as it has for many years. But to use the power of media to say why you couldn't hack it here after not even putting in any sort of effort is a total cop out.

(Message edited by supersport on December 10, 2006)

(Message edited by supersport on December 10, 2006)

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote "Chicago has more murders than Detroit, yet they twist their statistics so they come in 52nd?"

No statistics are twisted, crime is measured PER CAPITA and Chicago comes in 52nd. That is where the term crime rate comes in. Like I said before Chicago is 3-4 times the size of Detroit. So measuring in absolute numbers is meaningless, it has to be per person or another way of putting it, percentage.

Your little story about meeting someone in a bar in Chicago that proclaimed everyone in Chicago has been a victim of crime and you then reporting it like mantra sounds like so many of the people you complain about when they tell stories of Detroit. I have been here four years and not been a victim of crime nor do I know anyone that has. I do not own a car and I ride the trains all times of night, I get done with work at 2 to 3am, and day and walk through neighborhoods at all times.

You brought Chicago up and What does Chicago have to do with this article anyway? Unless you are trying to sound like one of those suburbanites you despise with their little nonsensical stories of Detroit but with the added twist of Chicago this time.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At first I was mad at you, Supersport, for being so dang mean. Then I decided to actually read her article. (yeah, I know).
First, the picture: The hair, the eyebrows, the smirky little "I'm so hot" look!? Then the opening of her 'piece' being in Dear John letter form?????? YUCK! What a doofus.
And actually deciding on profanity as a means of getting her point across?
Now I'm mad at Citylover for even posting this terrible piece of supposed journalism! tee hee
Of course, Supersport, you never need to sink to the level of those lesser than yourself. Swearing, tsk, tsk :-)
You guys make me smile. I wonder what you are really like!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's everyone's problem with profanity? To me, the words and expressions our society has arbitrarily chosen to consider "profane" are just more words in our collective vocabulary, used to express concepts or sentiments that cannot be as effectively or as succinctly expressed using other words and phrases. When you start discouraging the use of words, you're limiting our ability to express the concepts and sentiments they represent, which sounds an awful lot like something from 1984. So calm the fuck down and quit infringing on my rights. Thank you and have a nice day.

East_detroit

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would expect more tools in the box from a journalist... but perhaps not from a stripper.

Citylover

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said you all would be praising her if she said the opposite. A bunch of phonies. Btw Sport she said she spent seven yrs in Detroit. When and if you spend that much time then your judgments might be justified. But you may not make it that long.

East Detroit how old are you twelve? thirteen maybe? Honestly your last post is something I would expect from a twelve or thirteen year old.......an immature twelve or thirteen year old.

And Btw I know a few strippers who are alright and a lot smarter then you based on the moronic crap you have posted on this thread.

Dds perfect take on what my intentions were_

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of extreme positions here, but it sounds to me like Sport is being way too over-defensive here....some naked insecurities are bubbling up....why attack Sarah Klein? I really don't get it, and sure, you can say that the "dear john" letter was stupid, but I'm willing to guess many of you don't know her, Sport included. And she could have many other reasons which she didnt care to print as to why she thought the city was going to hell in a handbasket and why she was going to jump ship. Instead of attacking her why not make an effort to understand what is going on? Supersport's post reads like some sort of cheerleader diatribe...."nya nyanyanya, I'm not listening....nyanyanya...we get a dollar off of beer and you suburbanites don't...."

There's a lot of rhetorical static here that I don't care to parse and sift through....Maybe his blog will explain it better (doubtful), but my point is, I would not shoot the messenger. That kind of attitude has been prevalent in Detroit for many years now, and it hasn't served folks well.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the warm thoughts Supersport. Apparently your opinions and attitude make you believe you get a pass to duck the questions. I know when the going gets tough just change the subject. You can sure pour out a long list of folks doing some hard work in the City (some of those folks are just doing their job you know. If a guy wires your garage he is suddenly a legend of Detroit?). What have you done to make these problems go away other than likely having drinks with these folks after the hard work is done? We have all read your blog and know your wishy washy preach with no action habits. We read how you head to the malls to shop, the meijers downriver and what new DVD you bought at Best Buy.

For a guy like you who claims to be such the car guy it is either disingenuous or unintelligent speech when you claim California has no culture. Have you ever heard of folks like Ed Roth, Robert Williams, Wally Parks, Von Dutch, or George Barris? Not to mention great California artists such as Charles Schultz, Metallica, NWA, Grateful Dead, John Steinbeck and Frank Zappa. Your argument of "my choice is better" is so easily deconstructed I have to wonder why you spend so much time on it. People vote with their feet.

Go ahead and blog about it. At least there you won't have to field any replies with the comments turned off.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump bumpity bump bump.....bumpbump!

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I like Ms. Klein on a personal level, I still find her journalism skills to be sorely lacking...and this p.o.s is just one more in a long list of examples. How do you nay sayers expect us to react when after seven years, this is the best Sarah could do in putting together a good bye letter. Nice way to add insult to injury. It is not bad enough that we lose another friend, but that friend has to flip us off as they drive off into the sunset. For shame.

Keep your chin up SS. Who cares what someone in Richmond, Chicago or Ann Arbor has to say unless they are prepared to contribute in some way to the strengthening of our community? I don't. City Lover has been a broken record for the entire six or seven years that I have been on this forum and I doubt he will ever find the courage to try something different....even as we watch certain districts continue to rise. He will continue to argue that crime is a major problem downtown when we know that statistically, it is not. Perception rules the day, not truth.

Some folks are simply more comfortable painting with a broad brush. It requires less time, effort and skill.

(Message edited by histeric on December 11, 2006)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4089
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I used to think Richard Florida was full of shit...

I still do. When someone paid Florida a boatload of money (one's born every minute) to come to town and dispense his special little knowledge, I had an opportunity to participate in a Q&A with him. He began by talking about how his metro car driver from the airport "got it" while Michigan and Detroit's "leaders" were still trying to figure it out. So I asked him how do you move the limo driver who "gets it" into a more substantial position where he could make a difference. Florida looked stunned by the question, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "there's nothing wrong with driving a limo." Thanks Dick clearly you don't "get it." People with brains and ideas and possibly skill shouldn't have to waste their days doing menial labor while parasitic "leaders" fiddle. He then blathered on about his $400 eye glasses.

The problem was starry eyed do-gooders like Sarah Klein (probably) lapped it up until they burned themselves out and left. I catch shit from some close friends for this, but don't underestimate a little healthy skepticism to keep one grounded. I've never met Sarah Klein but the image that pops into my head is one with a closet full of Detroit t-shirts, who got a thrill out of freaking out here family with scary Detroit stories at holidays, and probably took part in many a yeah-Detroit pub crawl.

There's real progress going on in Detroit, no doubt, and that deserves to be highlighted. But there are also real problems, some unique to this city. Constructive solutions to those problems can only come from honest discussion and open debate.

I don't know if Sarah Klein's article constitutes honest discussion and open debate. But I do know this, if this column is just a petty swipe at Detroit, the city should be strong enough to absorb this blow without getting our collective panties in a bunch.

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always a bit confuses.
Are you a stripper that writes, or a writer
that strips.

Here farewell epitaph should read:
"Little, dull words, big, shiny underwear"

Jelk

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

panty
Sarah Klein's other farwell present to Detroit.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So basically anyone who writes a column about Detroit that you don't like is essentially an idiot and a slut?

Quit dancing around the words mrfrench, east detroit and kathinozarks, because that's what you're implying.

Citylover

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said it Shark.I can't figure out why she would not want to stay in Detroit with all the love been shown her here.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3743
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, f$%K this thread! All I know is I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People come...people go...everyone has different priorities...surprise! We're all different.

Here's something I've noticed though.
I've found that some of the people I know that complain the most about Detroit, and want to leave, are the ones that have lived in the bar and/or music scene for so long that the high-ons, rock stars and after hours parties aren't entertaining anymore. After years of seeing people at their worst... wasted, obnoxious and passing out they realized they don't really like any of these people...and the same people don't really like them either.
Then the bitterness takes over, and they look for something new, so they head to a new city and start over...with a whole new group of after hours people and parties. I've seen it before and I'm seeing it with Sarah...though she never really was much of an optimist to begin with.
I wish for her, and for all who are looking for something better, that the grass ends up being greener than the place they left.

And she's not a stripper...she's a burlesque dancer.

Jelk

Post Number: 4092
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've found that some of the people I know that complain the most about Detroit, and want to leave, are the ones that have lived in the bar and/or music scene for so long that the high-ons, rock stars and after hours parties aren't entertaining anymore. After years of seeing people at their worst... wasted, obnoxious and passing out they realized they don't really like any of these people...and the same people don't really like them either.

Wait, wait, wait I thought the whole bar/music scene was what made Detroit so special, magical, gritty, real in the first place. Now it's the reason people become bitter and leave?

Let's stop playing both sides against the middle shall we? I heard someone recently wax enthusiastic about how Detroit bars have a small town, everyone knows your name feel and blah blah blah. Sound familiar? If I had a nickel everytime...you know the rest.

That whole small town feel is nice enough for a while but at the end of the day, it's Sinclair Lewis' Main Street. A claustrophobic little place where everyone knows your business. The beauty of big cities is that sometimes you can melt into the background. The coolest thing I ever read about cities was John Lennon's comments that he loved New York because he could walk down the street and not be recognized.

I'm not defending Sarah Klein. Maybe her parting shout was trite piece of crap. Most people only read the Metro Times for the hooker...nay escort ads anyway. Ok, that's a stretch, there Lessenberry's column and Savage Love too.

The point is you can't look at New York, Chicago, San Francisco or even Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore and not be frustrated by Detroit...city proper and metro area. It's frustration that has nothing to do with bars or ugly beautiful people. And if you don't feel it once and while you are either blind or blissfully ignorant.

More to the point, that frustration probably sends people (leaving Sarah Klein out of it) packing everyday. I suppose we can sit around, make excuses, and rationalize it away. However if everyone really cares about Detroit as much as you all claim too, then maybe it's time to start thinking about how to address the problems in a substantive way.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if we recruit like a million people to move here?

Maybe then I can go to the bars without running into people that I know.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Words of wisdom...

East_detroit

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, thanks for the insults. Guess you dont like my opinion and thats your way of expressing a counterpoint.

Its ironic that you constantly bash Detroit and its crime while you post under the pseudonym of "Citylover", admit to having perpetuated the crime and moved off to the suburbs.

I am wondering why you post anti-Detroit comments constantly. Perhaps a guilt complex?

Citylover

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome.You deserve it. Calling someone a stripper is an opinion? Perhaps you had better learn what an opinion is.

Btw I am disturbed with the ease many of you are willing to display your objectivity of women.Calling someone a stripper or implying Sarah Klein is a slut brings zero to the table and only shows you are capable of posting moronic crap just as I said before.

If you think I am bashing Detroit by pointing out the obvious then you should refine your comprehension skills.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some folks are simply more comfortable painting with a broad brush. It requires less time, effort and skill.

Have you read your boy's posts or blog?

This whole staying up nights pissed at an article in a weekly rag that you already have acknowledged sucks ass is what is hilarious here. Damn you Sarah Klein for leaving like THAT! That metro times is a real bullypulpit eh? If you really were these gritty "I don't give a fuck" type of folks this wouldn't of been such "keep your chin up" chummy moment.

Citylover

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only an idiot would interpret EastDetroits intentions as anything other then a slap at Sarah Klein and at strippers.I was not the one that made the comparison I did not voice an opinion on strippers other then to say the ones I know are considerably more intelligent then what EastDetroit has displayed here.

You got it backwards your beef is with EastDetroit and his attempt to equate an article by Sarah Klein that he did not approve of with her fundamental dignity as a person implying she was something less then others BY comparing her to a stripper_ but as I said only an idiot would not see that.

Jelk

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This stripper v. burlesque dancer flap doodle reminds me of that great J. Chris Newberg song "White Trash Girlfriend."

quote:

she's a shot girl so you better show her some respect

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe responding to Sarah Klein as I did is more of the dislike for her"mindset" that many have when they leave Detroit. Too much angst.
its what she represents to a large degree...
almost, in a wierd way,reminds me off the type of
explanation given when buying a foreign car...lots of emotion with few facts....
Why not just say to everyone"I just need to live elsewhere for a while"; i.e." Wanderlust"
Bottom Line...her Dear Detroit letter simply proves
"shes a bad breaker upper"

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,
I was trying to be a little subtle...it's not just the bar/music scene...which I personally do love...it's the extreme side of it...the one that finds you leaving the party/bar at 6am or even 10am after a very "bumpy" night. There are certain times and places that bring out the worst in people...and if you hang out in those places long enough you've seen everyone at their worst...and they've seen you at yours...and its not fun anymore. That's when people move on. Sometimes its to other cities, but you don't have to leave a place to move on.
Maybe in NYC or LA there are so many people that it takes more time to hate them all but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
I am not saying this is extremely common, but in this case I think it might be a good fit.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and to think all I want is for the weeds to learn to stay out of the cracks in my sidewalk.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I did not voice an opinion on strippers other then to say the ones I know are considerably more intelligent then what EastDetroit has displayed here.

The ones I know are pretty much coked up whores.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, heh, heh, coked up whores!
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
You guys make me laugh and I wonder what you're really like!
Peace out, mah brahthas and sistahs!

Citylover

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you did not say they were dumb Dabirch so I will assume that the coked up whore strippers you know display more intelligence then EastDetroit.

East_detroit

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You would expect more tools in the box from a journalist... but perhaps not from a stripper." - East_detroit, 2006, this thread.

Interpretation:

A "real" journalist should be able to express him/herself without swearing (that which I was responding to), as opposed to someone who is mainly a stripper by vocation (which does not necessarily require one to use advanced linguistic skills). The question is whether Klein is primarily a journalist or primarily a stripper.

Referring to her as a "slut" was introduced by this "Citylover" person who can not seem to fathom how to have discourse without insulting others. I don't think Klein is a "slut" at all. I just think that she is not primarily a journalist, therefore her article is lacking in skills of expression.

For more of her diatribe against Detroit, checkout her stripper website where she says she will be happy to leave the "ghetto."

For more personal insults from "Citylover" against those who disagree with his anti-Detroit rhetoric, read below:

Citylover

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong again EastD. I never introduced the word slut. And you are the one that introduced the whole stripper/ journalist crap.

Grow up.And while your at it develop some intelligence I'm sure you are capable.

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

besides CL, you should support her...as she hails from that Detroit suburb known as "Ann Arbor."

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to post my two cents. My parents moved in 76 after living in the same house since 52 because of a perceived threat. They moved out of state and ended up living next door to thieves and meth cookers/dealers living in a 200,000 house on 6 acres. These people also were stealing everything on 2 or 4 wheels and then taking it on a flat-bed trailer to Arkansas, and they traded Arkansas for their stolen stuff and brought it back up here. The whole lot of them ended up in prison. Meanwhile, the neighborhood that I grew up in is as safe as it was in 1972. I will grant you, not everything looks as picturesque, but the threat of crime is only in your mind - in some cases at least. I can tell you that even 15 years ago my parents looked back on selling and leaving Michigan was the biggest mistake they ever made.

Supersport

Post Number: 11021
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Sparkly Devil is Detroit's glittering diamond in the rough, a sparkling burst of energy pulsating through the ashes of urban decay."

I'd bet money that she continues to use this sales pitch for years to come. Gotta cash in on that Detroit tie ya know. Even though this is more along the lines of her true feelings it appears:

quote:

"I can't wait to bid farewell to the ghetto and the snow! And of course, to commemorate this landmark event, I will be having one HELL of a going away party!"

Well I don't know about you, but I feel a tad bit heartbroke that I didn't help celebrate the trashing of the city I love and get to bid her farewell.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3419
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found Sarah's backhanded 'seeya suckers' exit graceless and tasteless, really beneath her capabilities -- in a word, disappointing.

It was certain to ignite passions on a board like this and underlines the the uncertainties facing not only the City of Detroit but the entire international metropolis of Detroit. She slapped and it hurt.

All this takes me back to 1981 when both employment and inflation in metro Detroit soared into the double digits, crime was at an all time high, perhaps 50% higher than today, and downtown Detroit was in full throttle decline. A mass exodus ensued, primarily to Texas, where a boom was occurring, inflated as we would later learn by the savings and loan scandals.

There was a lot of similar stomping out of the room, cursing those left behind as stupid, and declaring a pox on the entire house. The Detroit she leaves behind, by contrast, is full of promise.

But I will defend her on this. As for her advocation as a burlesque dancer, I think some are missing the point of its being more in the spirit of historic re-enactment and performance art. There is clearly a lot of thought and research behind what she does and to simply reduce it to bar room stripping is like calling a Rubens nude painting pornography.

Good luck Sarah, but as for your pouty parting shot, "Franky my dear, I don't give a damn." We're moving on without you.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And there's no snow."

One of the most beautiful things I've seen is the Detroit skyline from 110 feet up when it's snowing. Good riddance Sarah.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gotta cash in on that Detroit tie ya know.

Jesus. That sounds vaguely familiar.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gotta cash in on that Detroit tie

Detroit Tie: $65 at Pangborn.

(Message edited by dabirch on December 13, 2006)

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 867
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...and to think all I want is for the weeds to learn to stay out of the cracks in my sidewalk.

Lol. :-)

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would the Metrotimes print this drivel? If this is the best critique (and last harrah) the culture editor can come up with... then good riddance.

It is not hard to criticize Detroit, but it is apparently difficult to do it well.

Ordinary

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, the real reason she left is because she was my lover and I jilted her. She secretly loves Detroit.

East_detroit

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As CAY said to the drug dealers (and users) and strippers, etc...

"Hit 8 Mile."

Or I-275 if you prefer the Westbound route. Good riddance.

Overall, you were a negative force in Detroit. Slamming Detroit on your way out (or on a website afterward) won't change that fact nor will it aid your guilty conscience.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I may be slightly jaded by having (slightly) known Sarah several years ago back when the SO and I had a pre-kid social life, I have to wonder why it would have offended anyone to the point that they'd be reduced to trashing her personal life or even spending two seconds to realize one article will not suddenly convince millions that Detroit (and Michigan in general) sucks.

I've lived all over the US (and have sworn never again will I live in the San Francisco area) and perhaps I just don't know enough people, but the SE Michigan region is different. It seems as if a higher rate of people live here their entire lives, even going to college less than two hours drive from their childhood home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that if it's what you want, but I really think that at some point, it's not helpful to anyone if no new vastly different experiences are had, if only to show that absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

Every year my IL's head to their "cottage" in Florida for a few months in the winter. Both grew up in Detroit - FIL grows depressed every winter, MIL doesn't. FIL gets to recharge his fondness for the area for the first time in his life, something he couldn't do when he was working. People like Sarah just are able to attempt to "recharge" earlier in their lives.

After 7 years here, I still get a thrill from a beautiful blanket of snow, but I have to say, this is the first winter I can't wait to get back to South Carolina for the holidays. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I'd been here my whole life.

Hopefully Sarah (and all others who leave) will find that happiness they seek wherever they end up. I can only cross my fingers that for some, they will soon head back "home".

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Sarah seek happiness on the yellow brick road.

Just don't kick your old grandmother in the teeth on your way out the door.

I see Detroit as an elderly grandmother. Really easy to kick her in old age but she was once a beautiful strong young woman. RESPECT is what the old girl needs now. Not slaps up side the head.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Courtney,
Your old friend's writing was just kind of poor, imo. While I was reading it I had the feeling that I was reading an 8th grade essay. Too easy to critique.
Now, anyone can critique my writing because I do not hold a job of Journalist. She put herself out there and we are merely giving our opinions and commenting.
One more thing; I think it's a bit presumptuous of her to consider herself a "Detroit Girl". Seven years does not a Detroiter make. She was just passing through.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear "Kath",

While my post was written pre coffee, I'm almost positive that I didn't mention (or care) about the writing style of said article - IMO, you get what you pay for, and honestly, I turn off my English degree when thumbing through it. Content of said article was what I believe I was making references to, as well as the few middle school esque ASSumptions attempting to connect stripping/whores/drugs to burlesque dancing.

I'm assuming you're giving free passes to everyone who moves a few thousand miles to any city and weeks/months later can only sing about rainbows yet making sure to give a good wrist slap to those naughty ones spending decades "growing up" an hour away from somewhere who then decide they need something new?

Dhugger: when you're ready to murder grandma and bury her in your backyard because she's got mild dementia and nags you constantly, it's better that you go out for a few hours to collect your thoughts and THEN return to be that loving caretaking grandkid, right?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 783
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You can spout your crap about Chicago.Anyone that has spent time in Chicago is either going to ignore you as they would the rantings of some crazed street person_ or there gonna say your full of shit. Why? Because all anyone has to do is go to Lincoln park or, Rogers park or any of the thousands of vibrant neighborhoods in Chicago.

This post from CityLover is a perfect example of the double standard that is always used by Detroit bashers.
-----------

Let's take a quick look at some recent Chicago crime numbers to put things in perspective:

During the 4 year period from 2000 to 2003, there were 2545 people murdered in the city of Chicago.

During the 4 year period from 2003 to 2006, there were 2941 American soldiers killed in the Iraq war.

In 2003, the city of Chicago had a population total of 2.9 million people, and a murder total of 599 people.

In 2003, the ENTIRE COUNTRY of Canada had a population total of 30 million people, and a murder total of 549 people.
----------------

Detroit bashers, like CityLover, will try to excuse the incredible amount of crime in Chicago as some kind of rarity that doesn't affect the good neighborhoods, while they use the high crime rate in Detroit as a reason to write off the entire city of Detroit as a crime filled shithole.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will someone please explain to Erikd the concept of "per capita" percentages, and also that the ENTIRE COUNTRY of Canada has a firearms control law.

The "comparing apples to oranges" theory that is so moronically abused by so many of the forumers is sad.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yet at the same time, even you took note of the things that make Detroit unique. Things that you simply will not find in other cities, period.

Just out of curiosity, what does Detroit have that can't be found in other big cities? Museums? An ice skating rink downtown? Hole-in-the-wall bars? Pretty architecture from 80 years ago?

Citylover

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention that about 90% of Canadians live with 100 mi's of the U.S border so there is a vast expanse with little population.

Chicago is a vibrant city.Detroit is struggling.Chicago has had good city leadership focusing on providing city services and they have delivered_ they campaign on that shit_ do I need mention the services in Detroit?

Starting from downtown Chicago heading north to Evanston it is active, with thriving neighborhoods_ in Detroit it is not.

I could go on and on but there is no point. Anyone being honest with themselves only needs one visit to each city to know which one is doing better.

How some of you equate that to Detroit bashing confuses me. Because I point out the reality of things somehow I am bashing Detroit. I disagree. I love Detroit.Thus my forum name; citylover.But I won't pretend that things are not how they really are.

So Erikd if you can honestly say that crime in Chicago(I am not arguing there is no crime in Chicago)has had the effect that it has in Detroit I say show me.Show me the completely destroyed neighborhoods.Show me the torn down dept stores and the shuttered demolished theaters_ you can't do it. Because crime has not had the effect in Chicago that it has in Detroit.

As for what is uniquely Detroit as a lover of cities in general Detroit does have some things. Much of the architecture in Detroit is if not unique, worthy of mention.The Guardian lobby is equal to about any in the U.S including those in Nyc and Chicago.So is the Fisher bldg with a lobby larger and more ornate than most in other cities.Belle isle is quite special despite decay. And of course I believe there is a spirit in Detroit that makes is uniques as well.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...what does Detroit have that can't be found in other big cities?"

A bum named 'Michael' who intentionally smells as bad as he can so those he begs from will give him money to get him away from them as fast as possible.

East_detroit

Post Number: 870
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover seems to hate Detroit and want the rest of us to realize he is correct in his hatred.

That way, he will (maybe) partially relieve the guilt he feels for contributing to the state of crime in our great city?

Or we will stop our annoying pro-Detroit conversations?

Citylover

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I could make any sense at all out of this I would respectfully reply EastDetroit.........if being the key word here.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 642
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell once again provides a spot-on, concise observation of Ms. Klein's departure:

quote:

I found Sarah's backhanded 'seeya suckers' exit graceless and tasteless, really beneath her capabilities -- in a word, disappointing.

I have found many of her columns in the past to provide an interesting and welcome entry into Detroit's nightlife scene; a place I don't get to very often. She seemed to have a knack for providing some insightful opinion with her entertainment reporting. I found her burlesque thing kind of cool too. Yes, she's very beautiful. Indeed, she does seem to be the kind of creative personality that interesting cities are full of.

But her graceless exit (as Lowell puts it) sure has soured my admiration for her work. I don't doubt that she has valid feelings and opinions about this place that she is leaving. But I can't excuse her disrespectful goodbye. Ms. Klein now strikes me as that kind of person of which we all know at least one example; the kind that over the years ends up having a lot of former friends.

So long Ms. Klein. I hope we can manage in your absence.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.