Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Film: "Poletown Lives" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how to get a copy of this film? I just read about it in this article, and it sounds interesting. Thanks!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State has a copy in the Adamany Undergraduate Library, which I was able to take out using my MichiCard (available at your local library if you're a Michigan resident). I highly recommend the film, by the way.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the copy at the WSU adamany undergrad library the last time I checked it was checked in.
just check for this or another film ( WSU has alot of Detroit documentaries) at http://www.lib.wayne.edu/ under the catalog then under dvd/vhs

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a book about the Poletown debacle. I didn't realize the severity of destruction.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book is available at WSU and so is the DVD.

Poletown Lives is also available at CMU, Kalamazoo College, U of M Dearborn, and other libraries.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an outstanding film by my long time friend George Corsetti. Not only is it a socially relevent story of common folk organizing and fighting to save their neighborhood, it is a gripping and touching work of art. I highly recommend it.

Today I drove around the faceless GM plant that was placed atop that neighborhood. It is as if it killed all around it, especially the once vibrant Chene street which is arguably the most devastated commercial avenue in the D.

A recent MI supreme court ruling ruled that the land acquisition was essentially illegal.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but a federal case at the Supreme Court found it to be okay in the case of Kelo.

Takings will forever be a hot topic for the planning community.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4588
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is still before the US Supreme Court as a case in Bridgeport, Connecticut. In the name of economic development, the govt. takes your house for a shopping center in the heart of an old city.

Ralph Nader tried to stop his favorite industrial corporation, GM. The residents failed terribly against Mayor Coleman Young and Generous Motors.

They were trying to save 6,000 Clark St. Cadillac jobs which with new efficencies turned out to be 1,500 jobs. Instead of making the Cadillacs in Detroit, GM has moved production on and off to Lansing, New Jersey, and other places. That's the thanks Detroit really got in the end.

GM's abuse of the Beth Olem Jewish Cemetery on that landgrab has been well-documented on The Forum.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.