Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Detroit's flamboyant Prophet Jones « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this home still there?

Prophet Jones lived in this 54-room French chateau-style mansion at 75 Arden Park.

Jones reached his peak as a religious leader in the 1940s and late '50s, and lived like a millionaire. He resided in an 18th century-style French castle at 75 Arden Park. The three-story, 54-room graystone chateau had been built in 1917 by Edmund A. Vier, a General Motors Corp. executive, at a cost of $100,000.

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=182&categ ory=people

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Google Earth, its still there.
Arden Park is 2 blocks south of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral. it's on the east side of Woodward.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prophet Jones lived at 75 Arden Park and the house still stands. However, it is not correctly pictured in the Detroit News article.

The exterior of Prophet Jones' house was painted white many years ago and now the paint looks quite faded. A number of years ago I was inside the house and I remember it to be really grand, grand even by Arden Park / East Boston Blvd. standards, and in quite good condition.

(Message edited by Neilr on December 10, 2006)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparantly it's profitable to be a Prophet.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7466
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on whose side you're on.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the Free Press.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mistake, I've corrected it. Thanks.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Prophet preached from the Oriole Theatre. I use to listen to his radio programs when I was in high school. The "Church" was on Dexter.
Don't get jjaba going on this one.....

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 786
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prophet Jones' "Church" was the former Oriole theatre on Linwood. He was gifted full-length minks and ermines by followers who could not afford their own rent. Prophet Jones provided one very important service to the community-he used to announce "the numbers" (a three digit game run by underground characters in the days before the lottery) over the radio by the order of certain pseudo-religious platitudes uttered in a certain order, and in varying repetitions, e.g.

"Praise Jesus","Praise Jesus","Praise Jesus"
(= the number "3")

"Hallelujah","Hallelujah","Hal lelujah","Hallelujah","Hallelu jah"
(=5)

"Amen Sister","Amen Sister","Amen Sister""Amen Sister"
(=4)

that evening's number was 354, and it was broadcast throughout the city, tax free.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7467
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the bet that he fought publicly against public gambling and the establishment of the lottery?!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.