Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Manning Brothers Historical Collection « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3742
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In pretty much every Detroit-related book I come across photos from the Manning Brothers Historical Collection. Where is or was this collection? is it still around? how does it compare to the Burton?

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owned by Chuck Forbes and housed I believe, in the Palms Building (where the State Theater resides).

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric has it right--It is owned by Chuck Forbes, located in the Palms building. The Manning collection is an amazing collection of local buildings, taken mostly for insurance companies (who wanted a photographic record of what they were insuring). I knew Bud Manning, who in the 1970's was the third generation of Manning to operate the business. His father and grandfather schlepped around their huge 8 x 10 plate camera to hotels, theatres, factories, stores--you name it--and photographed them. Back when I used to go to their Highland Park location (the original office) and get pictures of the area movie palaces, at $5 for an 8 X 10 glossy print. Bud just knew exactly which drawer of which file cabinet (of many) had the negatives you needed prints of. The collection has become a very important record of what WAS in Detroit (and suburbs) and vital to authors of Arcadia books or other tomes about Detroit in the late 19th and 20th centuries. I'm grateful that Chuck has kept this important resource in Detroit, and made the photos available for professionals to use.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a great collection, and you may view it's contents by appointment.
Alyn Thomas is in charge, don't have phone # handy but Histeric is correct - Palms Bldg.
They have pictures of Det ballrooms and hotels and a few of Det bands/musicians.
Great Stuff!

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck Forbes believed in and saw the potential for Woodward Avenue before anyone else. He put his money into acquiring The Fox Theater and Palms Building, saved the Elwood Grile and the Gem Theater, both of which he moved at great expesne, despite lack of civic support. He was forced by the Young Administration to sell The Fox to Mike Ilitch. His acquisition of the Manning Collection is just one of his many historic endeavors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.