Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Photo Du Jour - December 12 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6059
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jealousy and rage, 1930's style - P.D.J.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy--can you get your text to space out vertically so that the lines don't collide? It's painful to read.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7201
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome siding! I imagine the furniture inside is aluminum sided, too.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find, Andrew....fascinating story. Love those 'then and now' comparison photos.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4585
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In their misguided improvements, the current owners removed that lovely porch up stairs.

Instead of Vodka, the guy shoulda had a nice plate of hot cabbage borscht with a dolop of sour cream. That would have mellowed him out. It always worked in jjaba's Russian home.

The male tenant slept on a closet door up on two kitchen chairs. Thus, the term "Boarder."

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5270
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The House still there, but the ghosts of the Mr. and Ms. Yarmolovich still haunts there.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5271
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can hear their screams when you enter that house.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff sorry to correct you but that is vinyl siding not aluminum. Jeez if you are going to be facetious at least get it right.

:-)

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget the siding, boys, and look again at the spare-no-detail writing. This gem has more than 'jealousy and rage, 1930s style' -- it's a timeless piece of tabloid journalism.

Savor this breathless prose from the era of 'Sweetheart, get me rewrite':

quote:

The bodies lay on opposite sides of the blood-spattered little kitchen.

The dead woman had a large hole above the left ear and another just about the right.

A bank book found in the dead man’s pockets showed a balance of $352.62 . . .

. . . this divergence of opinion aggravated the gathering domestic clouds which culminated in last night’s double tragedy.

Death in both cases . . . was due to fractured skulls caused by bullets which had passed completely through the heads.

Lastly, a priceless detail about the close-range witness who was told "Stand aside":

quote:

Miss Nahorney, who was frightened speechless, . . . had been a roomer in the Yarmolovich home just two days.

Great artifact, Andrew. That reporter deserved a byline.
x

(Message edited by RealityCheck on December 12, 2006)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6061
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a great example of sensational journalism, sadly there was no byline on the article.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

great example of sensational journalism.

Indeed it is, Andrew. A real-life 1930s template for the dramatized versions in Chicago, countless films and still embraced by Rupert Murdoch.

I actually missed a couple more deft touches on my first admiring scroll through the text you evidently took the time to type from a microfilm print:

quote:

. . .then blew out his own brains.

The bullet pierced her head from ear to ear, and shattered the glass of a cabinet behind her.

That nameless newsman sure didn't hold back.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4592
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating stuff AIW, eh. Merci!

jjaba, Wurstsider.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9037
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Russian immigrants

; )

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad stuff. Reminds me of a story in my own family so I thought more of the human impact than the writing style. Probably a good thing they had no children.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.