Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Michael Coleman out at WDET « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061212/E NT01/612120317&SearchID=732657 36289680

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't see that one coming, did ya?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jelk will be happy

Jeffrey13
Username: Jeffrey13

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they don't change back the format!

Jeff

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know the about politics that were involved in his leaving but liked the changes that were made during his tenure. To me Public Radio = NPR,
but I'm in the over 50 demographic.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God I hope they keep the new format. I couldn't bear to hear Judy Adams droning crap - keep Democracy Now!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bittersweet.

This is a good first step. One that should have taken place in March. He lied to the staff and said the investigation at WUOM had nothing to do with him, a week later WDET learned their GM was indicted when it was in the newspaper. That should have told Wayne all they needed to know about Michael Coleman. At the very least, he should have been gone in June after he was convicted.

But ok, Wayne State dragged its feet. Now what? First, someone needs to assess the damage. The station has an unbelievably large deficit. It the kind of debt one good pledge drive won't solve and unless some kind of plan to correct it is put in place, the station's financial problems will be a burden for a long, long time.

Worse still, in the last six to eight months WDET has lost many people. Just the on-air people alone Craig Fahle, Jerome Vaughn, Jon Moshier, Matthew McLean, and now Joan Silvi. That doesn't include the "off-air" people who have left. As listeners, you may not know their names but they are equally as important as the music hosts and reporters.

Certainly, radio stations, like any business, have turn-over. However, I suggest to you that the level of staff attrition at WDET in 2006 is crippling. A lot of institutional memory and dedication left while Michael Coleman was in charge. I'm not sure everyone who did leave left because of Coleman. Life is more complicated then that. Coleman's presence didn't encourage anyone to stay.

So Wayne State is left with a mess on their hands. It's a mess they created and it is a mess the University has an obligation to clean up. If it is unrealistic for Wayne to provide direct funding to WDET (and given the financial picture for public universities, it probably is) the school needs to get aggressive about finding way to help WDET raise funds and publicly show support for the station.

Back in March when Coleman was indicted and WDET was ready to begin it's pledge drive, some staff members requested very strongly that President Reid issue a statement in support of WDET, that the station was run well, the money was spent honestly, and the people that work there are dedicated and ethical. I thought then and still think now. A public vote of confidence from Wayne's higher ups would have helped in that drive. Unfortunately, there was nothing but silence from Wayne. They need to get vocal now.

So if you care about WDET, I suggest you pony up a donation. There is no one at WDET to embezzle your money anymore. But I suggest go a step further than just making a pledge, write a letter to Reid or the Board. Let them know WDET is an important institution and it needs their help to fix the problems they created. Wayne State is a public institution and they need to be held accountable for their mismanagement of a small, but valuable part of their operation. They need to fix it. I hope Michael Coleman's ouster will be a step in that direction.

(Message edited by Jelk on December 12, 2006)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7490
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, as much as I WANTED to like the guy...he really screwed up a very good and unique thing in Detroit radio...national radio, for that matter.

Here is a nod to Alan Mazurek, one of the 'levelest' heads I've ever met and potentially the best GM they could find easily. He should NOT be overlooked in this search.

I've grown less anxious over the father/son duo, as long as they don't add to the complexity of the situation...a few people here know them both and spoke highly of them, even during my most speculative curiosity over their motives.

Can anyone tell us if this is tied to the Arbitrons and response to the last pledge drives?

All I know is I've been holding out on fulfilling my last TWO pledges...so I've got to get off my ass and make good on them now.

Shame, I'm sure it is too late for the perks (they 'expire' in a year), but one way the new management can identify and gather back the old guard of listenership would be to perhaps make some special perk available to those like me who held back in protest.

I'd yield HALF the day to this talk/BBC stuff, but strongly suggest we get music in the afternoons back...with a decidedly LOCAL flavor.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if they bring back bandyke, expect to hear the Los Lobos marathon again.

now willy wilson, now we're talking

Gannon

Post Number: 7491
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I could always try to spell Allen's name right...

I don't know what John Penney is doing with his days now, and I'm SURE I just saw him on a Sam Bernstein commercial on the TeeVee...but HE would be my first approach to host daytime (afternoon) music.

If he can't work more than three days a week, rotate in one of the overnight shows...Liz's gets a replay one day, Ralph another...you see where I'm going with this.

HALF and HALF, nobody completely loses...we get that fine Democracy NOW...and perhaps WE can edit out the more boring of the BBC call-in show by using it half the time. It can still be some of the most excruciating hour on radio when it is bad.

But we absolutely need to bring back LOCAL music availability during the days, at least in the afternoon.

NEED! heh

Jelk

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bandyke isn't coming back, the paper trail is too long.

I love Coleman's spin in the News article...

quote:

but Coleman insists that he left because his job was done.

bush

quote:

I'm looking forward to the next great adventure.

Selling Rio Rancho to deadbeat magazine leads.

quote:

There's new leadership at Wayne State

The V.P. that hired me got canned.

quote:

I know the next g.m. will work with the new leadership even better than I did.

He or she couldn't do any worse.

Gloating is fun.

Gannon

Post Number: 7492
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy now, Jelk.

Gloating is ugly.

You've got to ask yourself if you can risk it!

You don't want to lose that icon status do ya?!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much of the music fans won't be paying any bills I'd suspect. Just look around and witness the PTPs evading paying royalties and such. Local music funding via commercial broadcasting is dying fast.

Clear Channel's dumping of many of its inventory of broadcasting stations nationwide is clear evidence of that.

Besides, similar dinosaur stations like WDET have had way too many sucking on its payroll compared to broadcasters in general. Firing the fat is necessary if there is to be any broadcasting at all there.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1552

To be perfectly clear - Coleman was neither indicted nor convicted in the WUOM matter. He pled no contest to a misdemeanor charge.

Gannon

Post Number: 7493
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clear Channel is dumping assets to pay their legal settlements, I thought.

'Firing the fat', as you say will yield robo-radio...what you get as pre-programmed pap from the other stations. That cannot be any good for local color and flavor in programming.

Nah...just make sure the dj's stay in shape...so to speak.

I would LOVE to see the responses to the station this week, Jelk do you have contact info for Reid and the board handy...or are you going to make me look it up?! Heh.

Jelk

Post Number: 4095
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm...lilpup I think you need to go back to law school. He was indicted. That's why he made a plea bargain. Unindicted people don't have anything to plead out. It is correct he plead nolo to a misdemeanor charge of embezzlement (for his role in the WUOM scandal) and the judge found him guilty. That's what happens when you plead no contest.

It's all public record, go look it up.

Gannon

Post Number: 7494
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FIRST thing we do, is get EVERY live music venue to 'pledge' access to their concerts to all the djs, so they get the write-off for the lost ticket revenue...and the djs and staff can keep up with local music without incurring any out-of-pocket expenses and the risk of the IRS seeing their visits as perks instead of a function of their work.

Win/win...even give these venues some coverage and promotion...got to fire up the local coverage and give it a wee bit o' oxygen.

Gannon

Post Number: 7495
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No contest merely means he didn't agree with the charges but decided NOT to fight 'em.

That way, he could say it was bullshit.

It still smelled the same!

Jelk

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon...

Irv Reid:
Office of the President
4200 Faculty/Administration Building
Detroit, MI 48202
phone: (313) 577-2230
fax: (313) 577-3200
president@wayne.edu
http://president.wayne.edu

Board of Governors
4231 Faculty/Administration Building
(313) 577-2034

Gannon

Post Number: 7496
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS!

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NPR is already available from other public stations for people who want that programming. I hope all-day local music returns. Here's an article from a year ago on the topic:

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=8658

Craggy

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't expect it to happen, Polaar.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I quit giving money (and I work for a company that matches) when they took Larry McDaniel and Matt Watroba off the air on Saturdays. I started giving again when they came back on.

I liked Judy Adams and Martin BanDyke but they played mostly jazz. Ed Love already does that. We didn't need anymore.

Please get rid of that nasty Amy Goodman. Go back to Russia you b----!

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Penney made my weekend afternoons. I have a rack of CDs I bought per Judy Adams' program. Martin Bandyke wasn't my favorite, but was good background music for work. Much of the NPR programming is numbingly dull.

Sometimes you realize you don't need to hear the same canned NPR program simultaneously on 4 stations; WDET was unique and I want it back. They "killed" the station right after I bought my WDET T-shirt, and I want to wear it, dammit!

Gannon

Post Number: 7498
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did you hear Judy and Martin play jazz?!

Pat Metheny occasionally...but MOSTLY?!

I'd send you some q-tips, but I don't think that is the root of your perceptual problem.

I'd agree with you Wazooty...my intake of music has been decidedly drier, and I've NOT run into a music store to grab that 'needed' disc in a long while...and NOT because I've been downloading.

I've NEVER downloaded music off the internet.

I need to own a copy of the CD...for the liner notes and all...and am gradually returning to VINYL because there is more passion transferred from musician to listener via that format.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of Amy Goodman either. She makes too many mistakes when she's reading the news. I've grown tired of Ed Love also. He tends to go on tangents for 5 minutes, and plays the same big band saxophone heavy jazz. I enjoy WRCJ's jazz coverage much better. I know its not locally produced, but their jazz guys came in for the jazz fest. And their music is better, and more varied. I would think eventually if they bring in enough pledge money they will start their own locally produced jazz show.

(Message edited by bob on December 12, 2006)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 873
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red baiting is so...1950's, Ordinary.

The River is playing Bandyke-style music. Only more of it and with more variety.

Polaar
Username: Polaar

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved Jim Bauer's 10:00 to Midnight show. He was only on for a couple of years - Does anyone know where he is now?

Gannon

Post Number: 7499
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I love the stuff I stumble into down at Bert's in the Market, I understand your frustration with Love, Bob.

I wouldn't want him to go away, he is a treasure of knowledge...but he is grooming his replacement, and we need to insure that she doesn't have that same myopia against other, decidedly modern forms of jazz.

There are a few young, curious jazz 'punks' waiting impatiently in the wings down the street during their excellent open-mic nights that I am absolutely certain can (and WILL) pickle the minds of old jass heads the way Ornette Coleman and Miles Davis did a generation or two ago.

I call them PUNKS with the greatest respect...some of the brashness of youth really riles the conservative oldsters...in and through that generational friction energy can birth some lasting creativity.

Long live the plasticity of jazz through the generations...

Ordinary

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what red baiting is but she just seems so damn hateful. I know we aren't perfect but couldn't she just once say something nice?

Which station is the River?

I also dislike her voice. It makes me want to stra....er, I mean help her clear her throat.

Bob

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Gannon.

Stecks77
Username: Stecks77

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former supported of WDET who happens to be under 30, I use to listen to the morning and afternoon music all day long at work. It was my main source for hearing new music that wasn't in the mainstream, which you can find very little of on the radio.

Since the format change I've stopped supporting and I only listen to WDET roughly 2 hours a week at best.

So what did I do instead?

I bought an IPOD and I download a lot of the fantastic NPR music podcasts from around the country, from stations like KEXP in Seattle and KCRW in Santa Monica. In addition, I can also get most of the news programs or anything else like "On the Media" or "This American Life," and listen to them anytime I want, instead of 6:00am Saturday mornings (On the Media).

It's sad but true to say for me at least, that if WDET went off the air tomorrow the only thing I would miss is the local news coverage, which has lost some of the its best reporters anyways.

At this point I'd rather support the numerous other NPR stations around the country that actually play what I would like to hear and offer it to me in the form of a podcast.

Oh well, good riddance to Coleman but it won't make a difference.

Gannon

Post Number: 7503
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice epitaph. Too early for that.

WAY too early to say the station is dead, doncha think?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6060
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The River is at 93.9.

http://www.939theriverradio.co m/

I have been listening there since they stepped up and filled the 30+ music scene.

My only complaint with the river is I find they play too much Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd for my liking. If I wanted to hear that, I'd turn on 101.

The River made me realize how much I missed mid afternoon music programming. While I'm glad the missing shows were restored, I now hate morning edition, and the news has taken a turn for the worse.

Craggy

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can you hate Morning Edition? Blasphemy! :-)

Stecks77

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: For me WDET is dead.

There is obviously a large audience out there who continue to listen to it in its current form and enjoy it thoroughly, but in the long term WDET faces serious challenges just like most of the traditional news, entertainment, and media sources. This is mainly due to the internet and portable music/video players which continue to grow. People want to control how and when they get their media.

A ton of NPR shows are available in the form of podcasts which you can listen to when you want, and where you want. You don't even necessarily need an IPOD, just ITunes loaded on your computer.

NPR and most of the affiliates are doing this, in my estimation, in order to gain a larger market share and a new audience. Ironically though, when I can control when and where I listen to NPR, there is less of an emphasis on listening to the local NPR provider such as WDET. I don't need to listen to WDET in order to enjoy most of the NPR programs.

In order to deal with this I think WDET should consider concentrating more on programming that has a direct relationship with local culture, politics, and issues confronting metro Detroiters.

(Message edited by stecks77 on December 12, 2006)

Craggy

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks...you make a great point, and that's what the members of the News department have been lobbying for. Unfortunately, it takes money.

However...your premise isn't entirely correct. The NPR station I now work for in Charlotte, NC has seen a large increase in listeners over the past year. The finances are beyond solid.

Radio isn't going anywhere. And, with the emergence of HD radio, there will be more choices than ever before.

Radio's obit has been written many times in the past, and its always been premature.

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope like hell they go back to the old music format during the day, which was fantastic. If so I'll continue to pledge again. As soon as Coleman came and sacked everybody, and the good journalist left, I and my company quit donating. - If I want to hear talk radio I can hit the AM dial, or go to WUOM.

As for a gap in donations- this is more reflective of the local economy than anything-

I love the ASSumptions made by LivernoisYard: "Much of the music fans won't be paying any bills". Just for your personal info- Myself and my company donated in the thousands. So on an individual level, this is off the mark.

(Message edited by Cinderpath on December 12, 2006)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In order to deal with this I think WDET should consider concentrating more on programming that has a direct relationship with local culture, politics, and issues confronting metro Detroiters.

Agreed. My first real experience with public radio was with WAMC in Albany. Their local programming was enviable and probably still is. The Media Project, Capitol Connection, 51%, all just awesome programs...

Gannon

Post Number: 7507
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks,

If then, WDET is providing those same ipod downloads and webcasts, it is truly up to you to download them from our local site, so the numbers can actually represent those within our marketplace who are using one service but not another.

IF there are services you desire that another provides, let management know...not with your absence or lack of presence...but with your vocal and written disapproval. How the heck do you think they might get the idea they're on the wrong track?

This isn't just some national chain that we won't mind if they fail...this is OUR public radio station with a cherished center-dial position clamored for by every large broadcast affiliate. This is a powerful resource that IF let go we will NEVER be able to duplicate or replace. EVER.

Your choosing death to WDET because of some management decisions that you happen to disagree with is PUTTING them one step closer to the grave...perhaps you just want to use that marker you've so quickly made the end comment for already.

Sincerely, man, please take another look at what your actions...however miniscule in the big picture...will do to our jewel, if allowed to aggregate. Sorry to aggravate...

That IS you, Craggy...darn, saw you post once or twice and didn't quite think it was you. Hope things're going well down there.

Weather must just suck, though. I just got back from a run to the river, it's just beautiful up here. heh. (OK, in a December-in-Michigan sort of way...you're gonna jones for snow and ice in only a few months, better come up for a visit and chill-fix!)

Miss you loads...but you're probably sick of hearing that. Too many people able to read a road report, but NOT know how to put it into context or even notice when it is wrong...or worse, they pronounce the street names so horribly you just know they are either not from here or forgot when they were.

As IF I care about road reports...listening to them is mere confirmation that I'm doing right avoiding needing them with all my might...but your voice of reason and damned happy demeanor in the wee hours is sorely missed.

Cheers and the best of everything to you...even if it means Detroit's (temporary) loss.

Ordinary

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, Thanks for the information on the River.

Gannon, you're probably right, the q-tips wouldn't do any good. What do you expect from a guy who likes bluegrass music? I just assumed they were playing jazz because as much as I tried to open my mind, the music just sounded dissonant to me. I guess I'm just old-fashioned because I've got to hear some type of rhythm or mathematical melody. That other stuff just grates me. I guess I liked about 10% of it. The thing that really bothered me was that the only time I really enjoyed it was when I was high on weed. And I don't do that anymore. They were all talking about how great some of that "improvisation" was and I felt bad because I just didn't get it.

Stecks77

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craggy: I'm happy to hear that my premise is partially incorrect. Its great that some NPR stations are actually doing well. I realize local programming does cost serious money but WDET also spends a large portion of its budget paying for the popular syndicated shows. I'm certainly naive to the costs of running a radio station so correct me if I'm wrong, but they couldn't even fund a modest talk show or local round table?

Gannon: I think your being a little melodramatic stating that I'm "choosing" death to WDET. I do care about it but I've simply moved on. Why would I continue to listen to a station that either doesn't offer what I want to hear and if they do its at crazy hours?

I actually did write Mr. Coleman upon his decision to scrape the old format. I was pissed and I'm glad people spoke out, but where do you go from here?

Also, I don't believe WDET is "OUR" public radio station anymore. In what way is it "OURS"? We get the occasional State of the State or City address broadcast with some analysis by local talking heads, news snippets between national shows, and traffic and weather? What else? I actually hope I'm missing something.

There are a few music DJ's but there relegated to the evening hours. I work during the day and listening to Liz Copeland at 3am is not an option.

Now the programming is mostly "nationally" syndicated shows that the station pays for. What's local about that? They rarely talk about local issues or problems unless negative.

Also, WDET only offers 2 podcasts of local shows, Alacarte which is good, and News. All the other shows they play throughout the day you have to get via ITunes on your computer.

Have you been to their website and see the Arts & Culture portion. There are stories on the main page that are 7 months old.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of BG, are there any good places for it outside of, possibly, Downriver? If I pick up a "new" banjo from the early 1900s, I'd like to jam sometime.

Stecks77

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just one more not about Podcasts and WDET.

I know it costs a significant amount of money to do the production work to transfer the radio shows to the internet in Podcast form. Do they have the money for it, of course not, but what other shows would they want to podcast anyways? There aren't many.

Craggy

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately, there are legal rules that prohibit the podcasts of much of the local music programming.

Stecks77

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer.

To quote the Simpsons...

"If we can amend the constitution, then we can make all sorts of crazy laws!"

Craggy

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can thank the record companies for that, Stecks.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks, WDET hasn't been a community radio station for decades. The pendulum swung from one extreme to t'other. From over 60 locally produced programs to, what, 5? 6?
The one thing those boneheads just don't get is DETROIT MUSIC. A rich, rewarding tapestry...I am mystified why they choose to ignore that goldmine...can somebody 'splain that to me? Why not have programming which is generously dosed with Det music?
Ed Love sprinkles Det jazz into his mix, sometimes.

Gannon

Post Number: 7509
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary,

It is NOT our fault that you stopped partaking in the worship of the holy weed. What did you go and do, sell your soul to a corporation?!

Stecks,

LOL, damn those attorneys and their attempts at controlling everything for their benefit. As soon as there is a revenue stream, you betcha the music podcasts would stop being taboo!

quote:

Also, I don't believe WDET is "OUR" public radio station anymore.

You are absolutely correct, and that is what I think needs be changed most, and most quickly!

The melodrama was precise and intended...you ARE helping put the station in the grave IF you continue. You're the fellow in Monty Python's "In Search of the Holy Grail" with the cart...I'm the one trying to help you hear the old guy saying, "I'm not dead, yet! I feel happy!"

Coleman is gone, and we have probably one last chance to appeal to the university for the opportunity to make right for us all.

I don't intend on taking this lying down this time. They will hear from me until they kill it dead...and so will y'all!!

Gannon

Post Number: 7511
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yanno?!

WDET should have their OWN record label...or at least one that would work with the DIA and other 'non profits' that have access to bands that are not signed yet.

I just met the fellow who handles the live music at the DIA and learned that he has this amazing collection of recordings of the performances there...now THAT should be a Sunday night showcase program on WDET!!

That might be the only way to control the recurring revenue stream from recordings done in the studio...tell me what anti-trust laws I'm hurdling with this idea!

Bob

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For starters, if any of those groups have record deals, they need to secure the rights from them to produce the recording, unless they signed them away. You also need to secure the rights from the copyright holders of the songs to produce a recording of it.

Stecks77

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

What can I say? Keep up the good fight. I honestly hope things work out. If things change I'll come back, but I just can't continue to listen to WDET solely on principle when I'm much happier listening to the music and news I love in a format that is more flexible and from other stations that actually provide me with what I want to hear.

Unfortunately you are correct, myself and hundreds of other people are helping to slowly hammer the nails into WDET's coffin, but if they can't get the message, sort things out, and get their shit together then so be it.

Things change.

Good night and good luck.

Insert unhappy emoticon here:

(Message edited by stecks77 on December 12, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, aren't you confusing anti-trust with copyright laws? Just how could anti-trust laws affect anything for a peanut-whistle like WDET?

Gannon

Post Number: 7519
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stecks,

Oh, I wasn't trying to force you to listen to stuff you hate...no, just to let the management KNOW currently that they have the chance to win you back. They should have a section on the website devoted to that, actually.

As for the anti-trust issues:

Owning a broadcast venue and a recording company...bringing in other non-profits and small live venues under our umbrella to benefit from the allegiance...organizing our own opportunities that the corporations are obviously ignoring.

Gosh, it SOUNDS so trust-worthy, perhaps it isn't against the law at all.

If anything, I'd want to scrape by under what all the corporations consider their turf. As for copyright, we'd make the machine so strong that everyone would WANT to be a part of our system, and we could demand that we hold copyright on all broadcast on our station, then share it liberally with the MUSICIANS and SONG-WRITERS...you know, the ones that regularly get screwed by the current system.

That would only endear us to those who are currently playing in their bedrooms, basements, and garages...the ones who have not been recognized by the majors, and have an extreme amount of trouble simply getting noticed.

Would Jack White have launched if he wasn't Bandyke's cousin? That is the million dollar query...among thousands, but was the first example to pop into my little head.

IF ANYTHING, we should exploit this radio enterprise to the fullest while it still exists...and do our best to get it completely outside of corporate influence!

Who knows? It could be the thing Granholm and the Big Diamond are looking for to revitalize the city! Could you imagine Detroit becoming a combined Nashville/Branson, Austin, New Orleans, Cleveland, Soho...all in ONE place?! No reason why we could not become the music capital of the world if we wanted.

There are very few places around with the unused performance venue capacity packed in such a tight space...from parks to bars to small clubs to small halls to indoor and outdoor theaters...all I see is potential.

Just need to use the resources we have, with a huge vision as our dream...and a thousand little goal/steps on our way to arriving there.

WDET is one of those very unique resources that does NOT exist in the same capacity anywhere else in our country, from my experience.

Jelk

Post Number: 4103
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Radio isn't going anywhere. And, with the emergence of HD radio, there will be more choices than ever before.

Craggy nails it.

I was a fan of the 2005 program change at the time but in hindsight I think it was maybe too much of a change too fast.

There was a great idea proposed by a now former WDETer staffer for an HD/web service DET2, all music like KCRW. Actually KCRW has an interesting format. Mainly news/talk during the day with one very good, very produced music show in the morning. I think it might be an interesting model for WDET because it is clear the station needs to do a better job balancing music and news, then they have over the last two years.

http://www.kcrw.com/schedule

(Message edited by jelk on December 12, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon sometimes takes up so much BW to say so little...and with circular reasoning, at that.

WDET is fairly free to do whatever it wants in order to hang onto its channel assignment from the FCC. It's not the 1930s or 1960s any longer.

Who really needs high-powered AM or FM radio stations to do what other, more modern technologies can do cheaper and better, even with innovations added to their signals? The listeners are already too narrowly segmented for the conventional stations to coexist for too much longer. Although I don't use Sirius or XM, their typical cost of $160/yr (or whatever it costs) is within the grasp of many families and is probably less than pledging to one or more non-coms.

Gannon

Post Number: 7529
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes?

It's not circular...more exponential.

Always hard to recognize as reasoning at all, by some linear thinkers.

It's only saying little if you don't understand most of the wanderings of my mind while I investigate an issue. So, I guess I'm saying much, but little you either want to perceive or are able to grasp.

No, this is exactly a fight against corporations having all the control over our music and other entertainment choices. Local over national and beyond. Now that you've forced me to stop the meandering and make a point...that is it.

I'm all for WDET exercising the freedom to do what they want, I'd just like it to be what most people who support it want...in addition to providing precious little avenues for those with special needs.

Public radio has the facilities to aid those with special needs, it just doesn't HAVE to provide it all be through the radio airwaves...but that choice center-dial location is very prime real estate, and will always be...we will always have FM radios that work, just like the old style tvs.

Think other applications like DRIS, the Detroit Reader's Information Service (did I get that right?), that records and broadcasts a verbal reading of the news for those who cannot do it for themselves.

There are a myriad of applications just like that, which can use the infrastructure of the station for good uses.

No reason why the record collection couldn't be digitized...one album at a time, in real time...so some of the most obscure out-of-production albums could be saved for posterity.

If the record labels are gone, and the copyright is expired...then what keeps the station from using THIS resource for some sort of revenue stream?!

I mean, out-of-the-box, there are many ways the station's current infrastructure could be used for greater purposes, all the while the main studio could be plugging out the radio shows like it always has.

The management must've looked at the music performance studio and immediately thought how much money they could free up selling off the pieces...I see the same room, collecting dust much of the time...and see a place that could be used to make demo recordings for some of the talent we discover in the routine of trolling the live music venues around our fair city.

I don't know...it is a fun exercise to explore possibilities, that is why I started that other thread.

WDET is worth saving. I'm going to help somehow.

Jelk

Post Number: 4106
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Final thought on this issue for day. I hope WDET heeds Edward Murrow's advice about the future of televison. It's relevant for radio as well...

quote:

Because if they are right, and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse and insulate, then the tube is flickering now and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost.

This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box. There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance, intolerance and indifference. This weapon of television could be useful.

Stonewall Jackson, who knew something about the use of weapons, is reported to have said, "When war comes, you must draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." The trouble with television is that it is rusting in the scabbard during a battle for survival.

Gannon

Post Number: 7532
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again for your grasp and retention of history, Jelk.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arkansas Traveller is a well liked show? In Detroit? I love it! Yay, Ozarks music!!!!

Gannon

Post Number: 7534
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry McDaniels (The Arkansas Traveller) is back, and apparently a good number of folks came around to pledge again specifically because of him.

Folks Like Us, with Matt Watroba as well, which the AT follows. Both very popular programs that some people just love to hate...but I'm not one of them.

I enjoy the new music from those dimensions as well...like when Matt turned me onto Zippy, by Michael Peter Smith, one of the funniest songs I've ever heard.

Poor fellow's lament...the words don't do it justice, you NEED to hear him sing it. IF you can keep up!!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does the general manager's job at 'DET pay? There are a lot of good radio people who've been laid off, who could do well there.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally really missed BanDyke, I thought his spin on the music world was unique and really enjoyed his interviews and live performances with musicians onsite. I also enjoyed Judy Adams, when they left my interest in WDET really decreased,so did my donations. I only listen to Ed Love and some news. Someone told me Bandyke is on another channel. I really felt he was a good example of what made Detroit radio unique

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

you guys need to sit down at a bar as this schitt is getting booooo-ring. go to the WDETYES.com site instead.....

Pffft

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except for that handful of artists he kept playing over and over and over ....Gannon's "kicks"?

Gannon

Post Number: 7549
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAY too little for them!

This is NOT a regular radio position.

They have to be Public Radio people, at least closet listeners who've hated the regular pap and can see well beyond the Arbitrons-as-driver mentality.

Gannon

Post Number: 7573
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, missed three posts in the time it took to send that during breakfast. That reply above was for Pfft.

I was aiming for 'kick-backs' with my little inference...it was odd how often he overplayed the stuff that caught his fancy. Something was amiss, either he developed obsessive/compulsive disorder over time, or he was getting some perk to play the living shit out of some new song.

I liked the rare interview where he would be clearly wowed by the celebrity in his studio.

Live music during the day, leading up to a concert nearby that night or the next WAS one of the best features of Martin's show.

THAT, of anything, is one thing I'd love to bring back to WDET afternoons...

I simply didn't like the way his attitude went as his celebrity status increased...he could barely tolerate seeing volunteers in the station for pledge drives, it seemed.

NO, not just me, either. Heh.

Pffft

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did cross the picket line in the strike, to write for the Free Press.

I started to have "character" issues with him at that point.

Jelk

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The facts surrounding Martin Bandyke's departure from WDET are public record. A simple FOIA request will provide all the answers to why he could no longer work at WDET.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.