Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Hecker-Smiley mansion for sale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

December 12, 2006

Iconic Hecker-Smiley mansion to change hands
One of Woodward's most iconic landmarks, the historic Hecker-Smiley mansion, is now up for sale. The current owner, the law firm of Charfoos and Christensen, is moving on, although the signifigance and quality of their early '90s renovation will remain.

The building at the corner of E. Ferry was built in 1889 for Col. Frank Joseph Hecker, who lived in it with his family until 1927, at which time it transitioned to an exclusive and strict boarding house for college students. In 1947, it was sold to the Smiley Bros. Music company, who utilized it as its headquarters. Charfoos and Christensen, under the auspices of the Historic Hecker Mansion Limited Partnership, purchased the building in 1991 and began work on its restoration, which was awarded a U.S. Department of the Interior award in 1992.

Preservation Wayne assisted with the restoration by putting the Hecker Mansion group in touch with knowledgable contractors and by conducting historic research. The group has enjoyed a beneficial relationship with Charfoos and Christensen, and is sad to see them go, says executive director Francis Grunow. He says he hopes that the new owner is "a person or company or firm that is going to take care of it and know how to use it, that will continue the vision of a great Detroit landmar."

The sale is being facilitated by Fred Klugman of Klugman Commercial Properties, LLC. He can be reached at 313.962.7600.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe a Mr. Alan's location in the cultural center?

the neon-letter sign would look breathtaking!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw Mr Alan's I want a family dollar in that joint!

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need MCDonalds people. It already has the pick up window on the side....

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A light-rail passenger stop with a Mr. Alan's, a Family Dollar disguised as a historic five-and-dime, and a 24/7 MacDonald's specializing in cheeseburgers, fries, and Coke--no Pepsi!

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on December 13, 2006)

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard is right! But also the area needs another cash advance business. Understand there are franchise opps. in that field of business. I took a tour of the house yrs. ago and what surprised me the most was how small the bedrooms were. Did you know that when Hecker died the will stipulated that his wife had one yr. to vacate the house? She moved down the the Whittier, which at the time was quite a ritzy place.

56packman

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh shit, I forgot--a wig/nail place too!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You joke ... but remember that building is currently infested with lawyers so any new use (short of a meth lab or an al queda cell) would be a step up.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

but remember that building is currently infested with lawyers so any new use (short of a meth lab or an al queda cell) would be a step

----------------------------

Rustic, you may want to pull up the tax records and see how much the city benefits from this building that is used for office business as opposed to a meth lab or holding cell

White collar professionals who open businesses contribute to the tax base which allows the city to pay of services such as filling in pot holes and police services for examples....... you need to rethink your somewhat jealous sounding reply to the above poster. If it wasn't for businesses such as these, the city would be in even worse shape........ Jane

Rustic

Post Number: 3040
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janes', reread what I wrote. You misread it (in at least two ways, btw).

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, the city needs to acquire the mansion for the use of the first lady and kids. It's only fitting that if members of the UK Royal Family reside in multiple, publically funded residences (along with the US Pres and UK PM and of course our govenor JennyG), then so too should the first family!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've heard the urban ideas for the place, how bout the suburban ideas: We leave it languishing most of the year and open it occasionally for paint ball games and in October it can be one of those cheesy haunted houses.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It appears that the easiest transition would be to look for another law firm or a small financial services company as the next tenant. The inside has probably been configured ideally for such a tenant. If I were running a law firm small enough to fit into that location, I would definitely consider the space as my location.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman, thats the dumbest idea up there. You should be ashamed.

Wait I got it! A house of Blues in the first floor and a Cheesecake factory on the second!

Cman, I hope you can see that this post is dripping in sarcasm. Yours is the only reasonable one.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Christiansen was also the Consul General for Denmark, so the building doubled as the Danish Consulate.

The inside was NOT configured for anything. It was a palatial residence that had law offices inside without altering the rooms. Only thing was many of the rooms had pocket doors between them, so these were sometimes kept closed.

The basement was remodeled into worker/storage space with a modern kitchen/break room.

An upscale restaurant, like The Whitney, would be a nice use of the space (as far as public use). Otherwise, I would like to see it remain as law offices. But no retail!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Wayne State could assume control of it. I could see a nice restaurant that does not compete with the Whitney in there. An eating establishment like Fairlane Manor or Tippercanoe has.

Gistok

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't trust Wayne State with historic properties. They tore down the historic Gleaners Building on Woodward, and they bastardized Old Main with that ugly addition.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any notice of why Charfoos and Christensen is "moving on," as the article puts it? I have not seen anything about that.

My number one guess would be that the firm may have outgrown the building in number and/or is looking for a more traditional office space layout.

Detroitplanner, I do get your sarcasm. Some of your suggestions have been amusing.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A roscoes chicken and waffles would be sweet. seriously though it would be an awesome B&B or Inn. Although that idea has been done in that area. It is an ideal location for almost any business.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charfoos and Christensen made a lot of money. In the early 90's they were the top firm to successfully sue makers of silicon breast implants. They restored that home, and did it well. I really hope something will become of this as an equal or greater asset to the city.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5395
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they did the restoration, surely they upgraded the plumbing and electrical systems.

I'll bet that place is loaded with copper......

Gistok

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Detroit support another show stopping palatial restaurant like the Whitney? I love the Whitney, and it is just a great place for a special evening. But if someone came along and made the Hecker-Smiley mansion a fancy restaurant, can they do it without hurting the Whitney?

Both the Whitney and Hecker-Smiley were built in the 1890's in a palatial style. The Hecker-Smiley has the edge in spaciousness, but it's hard to say one is fancier than the other. From the exterior however, the Hecker-Smiley wins hands down.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 639
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the asking price for the place? Anybody know where the Charfoos firm is moving?

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how much they want for the place?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would make a wonderful addition to "The Inn on Ferry Street" but I doubt that they could afford it. Maybe the Lawyers would cut them a deal.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're asking $4.3 million for it. They're moving on because the firm has shrunk, not grown, due to the ease of legal affairs being done over the Internet (like wills, etc.)

Rustic

Post Number: 3048
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Outsourcing!

Mplsryan
Username: Mplsryan

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'current' current pics?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is $4.3 million really the asking price? The place is stunning inside but it isn't really that big. Could it even be 20,000 sq. ft including the carriage house? Assuming 20,000 sq. ft, that would put the asking price in the neighborhood of $200 sq. ft. Haven't recent sales of CBD office space been half that price? If that's the case, the Charfoos firm will be staying put for quite some time. If somebody has better numbers, post 'em.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7209
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of "plaintiff's firms" are shrinking. Sachs Nunn on Farmer Street has cut staff and put their building on the market, too.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is David Christensen still the appointed Danish Consulate? ive been there several times with my wife and the building is absolutely fantastic...

if Dave is still the Consulate, any idea where hes moving to?

david

56packman

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just think that the Danish furniture would clash something awful with the Hecker mansion interior.

danish modern

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, $4.3 million is the asking price, and yep, Dave is still the consulate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.