Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning July 2006 » Gray Day in the D - Edmond Place - MGM [pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3413
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I was driving an out-of-town friend about on a cheerlessly gray day and here are some pictures.

Edmond Place in Brush Park
Edmond Place

MGM Hotel topped off
MGM Hotel

Shall we start a forum pool on when this Brush Park beauty will fall?
Brush Park

Did this picture fit the the day, or what?
Packard Plant

Detroit Rises and Detroit Falls?

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, great pics!

Which street is that Brush Park house on...that one really looks like it's about ready to go. If only someone would come along and save it.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 974
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen that building with my own eyes Cman, I'm sure it's beyond saving.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3417
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crumbling house is on Eliot.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that house is one of the most depressing sights in all of Brush Park...every time I'm there it's in worse condition. I predict the winter will hit it hard, possibly causing the front to collapse.

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That crumbling home on Eliot is the William
Livingstone residence. It has been in this
condition for several years.
http://www.detroit1701.org/Liv ingstone%20Mansion.html

Cman710

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are probably right. It probably is beyond saving. What a shame...

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that link to the Livingstone house and the great descriptive article your wrote on your website, Ren. It was interesting that to learn that the young Kahn designed that house and that it was once moved. I wonder if the effects of the move may have been one of the causes of its eventual crumbling.

Later on, of course, Kahn would have designed and built his own house at John R and Mack; so they would have been very close-by neighbors before the Livingstone house was jacked up and moved.

Your website has evolved a lot since I last visited and I recommend all to visit it. Since you 'out' yourself there may I also take note that Ren is the lead author of the outstanding and renowned "Detroit Divided. A Volume in the Multi-City Study of Urban Inequality" a work that appears regularly on must-read Detroit book threads on this forum.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great photos lowell! While some of Detroit regrettably falls, much much more is rising. These photos are certainly proof of that.As we allknow, you can't save them all.

Cman710

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the Livingston House? It looks like it, but sometimes with these views, it's hard to be certain.

http://local.live.com/default. aspx?v=2&cp=r1r55y82bywp&style =o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1 000&scene=5646187

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing says cheesy sales approach then those multicolor flags everywhere on that Edmund Place home. That "bishops hat" roof was poorly treated with mere asphalt singles and ridge cap. I'd hate to see the inside.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we see the renovations you have done in the city Buddyinrichmond? I would like to see your contributions.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way. I am not showing mine unless you show me yours first.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are working on it right now. Actual demo & construction should start this winter.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We are working on it right now. Actual demo & construction should start this winter.

...on what? Inquiring minds want... oh you know...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, cman710, that house in the aerial view is the Livingston House, affectionately called "Slumpy" by us Forumers. This view must be from sometime in 2005, judging from the status of known developments in the area. Cheers!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 975
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wife's great-grandparents are buried just next to that tree in the photo; he in 1906. His marker sure could tell stories, I suppose.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen that house. I've also seen others in that area that looked just as bad but were being restored.

Cman710

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the confirmation. If I come to Detroit again (which I would love to do soon, but don't have any specific date when I'll be able to), I'd definitely love to check out Brush Park in a little bit more detail than last time. I didn't realize how much the area would interest me!

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edmund Place look a little shabby Buddy...

See the sign in the front yard. It says Detroit Urban Living. This explains everything.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly do you have against Detroit Urban Living?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh shut up you pessimistic armchair developers. renevatio has done a great job developing and the monahan company has done a meticulous job restoring/renovating edmund place. everyone's entitled to their own opinion but complaining about something you haven't even seen helps nobody and nothing.

Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No man, you shut up.

Bussey

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ask why I loathe Detroit Urban Living?

Let me count the ways....

Selling property that was never purchased from the city.

Never installing a water meter covering eight units.

Tying electrical lines from an unfinished unit to an occupied one and also running common wires to an individual's personal circuit.

Promising NEZ and never obtaining.

Owning an unsold condo and never paying association dues.

Failing to resurface and reroof a 20x10 exterior hanging porch that is a part of the existing floor system of a building.

Failing to seal up parapets allowing moisture to breach through the wall and travel down three floors dripping through window frames.

Leaving a deteriorating 80 year old brick wall as is.

Doing all of this while under the guise of "Renovation Savior"

Detroit Urban Living didn't get to be as large as they are now without screwing over a few along the way.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 982
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just as clarification, detroit urban living is only acting as the selling agent not as owner, developer, or renovation contractor. those are, respectively, renevatio and the monahan company.

Bussey

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then I stand corrected.

Thanks

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful site Renf: http://www.detroit1701.org/

I will pick up the book: "Detroit Divided. A Volume in the Multi-City Study of Urban Inequality"

Any other reading suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.