Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Woodworking/ Carpentry Apprentice available « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wanted to learn to make chairs, benches, stools, etc., but I don't have any access to power tools and I have no experience (besides assembling Ikea and Sauder crap). I've had drafting classes in high school, but never any wood shop. I built a shelf in Webloes, but it's crap. I'm wondering if anyone out there who takes pride in their craft would be willing to teach me or allow me to watch and learn. I'm a pretty fast learner and I currently have a 9-5 so it would have to be a part time or weekend thing. I live downtown in Lafayette Park so something nearby would be preferred.

Post below or Email me at spitanski@hotmail.com if you'd be willing to help me out by letting me help.

Thanks,
Jeff

(Message edited by spitty on April 20, 2007)

Spitty

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No responses...Anybody know where else I could look for something like this or know of someone who might be able to help me out?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a co-worker once told me the union (carpenters & millwrights) would teach you, but I don't know about working around another 9-5 job

can't hurt to give them a call

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spitty-

I have been doing historical restoration on a number of the structures at Fort Wayne for about a month now and could use some help. I will be there next weekend if you would like to help/learn some stuff. I have 30+ years of experience doing construction of various types, both finish and rough. I would be glad to share what I know with you. Let me know if you are interested.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 960
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I built a shelf in Webloes, but it's crap."

I'm not sure exactly why, but that is one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that CCS has (or used to have) furniture design classes w/ a studio/shop. Don't know if they offer any 'weekend warrior' classes however.

Woodcraft out in Sterling Hgts also has some day-classes for various woodworking & woodcrafting disciplines. I'd give them a call.
http://www.woodcraft.com/store s/store.aspx?id=321

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ccs has some continuing education (non credit) classes that are quite affordable and they are generally evenings and weekends

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife took a couple woodworking classes at WC3 -- the one by Connor.

It was great, and she certainly learned a ton.

That was probably 4 years ago or so.

Spitty

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres can you shoot me an email at spitanski@hotmail.com and maybe we can work something out for the weekend?

To everyone else, thank you for all of your good ideas. I really appreciate it and I will be looking into all of these options.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.