Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Could All The Forumers Do Me a Favor? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to keep a nice, polite, quiet site to discuss issues about Detroit at. PLEASE, don't disrespect people like Lowell and post Bias threads that may offend others, as it only creates Child's Play and makes Lowell and his site look bad overall.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you should put this in the Non Detroit section too.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Mayor-Sekou, but the issue that I'm speaking of is in this section and I wanted to point it out to all the people associated in the rudeness.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the one without sin cast the first stone...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:45 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Don't forget "Dangerous Asian Man of the Week" and let's definitely not leave out the "Dangerous Arab Man of the Week".

Urbanize

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belleislerunner, it was a bit of a sarcasm statement before I realized what the thread was all about. Now I do apologize for that statement. That will be my last bias remark on the site. Could other folks do the same please?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speak softly and carry a thick skin, or something like that. With apologies to Teddy Roosevelt.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's a commie.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a commie?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 972
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You seriously don't know what "commie" means? It's slang for a communist.

Burnsie

Post Number: 973
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, Urbanize, with 1130 posts in 3 months, you may want to consider taking a break from this site for a few days. Rude posts on a discussion board are pretty trivial in the big picture of life. And as long as people can post more or less anonymously, it won't change.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3132
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we all get along?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fortress_warren is an evil capitalist oppressor.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right Burnsie. Please though, I wish folks could be a bit more civil and Adult when discussing certain issues.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I like Urbanize, even if he(?) does posts poopy stuff. Take me for example - I'm an angel...

Burnsie

Post Number: 974
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish that too, Urbanize. Sometimes I get frustrated by some post on here. But then I just shrug and remind myself that inane, thoughtless, and dumb comments are par for the course on discussion boards.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 879
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize and Livernoisyard: No, nope, nah, hell no. A big part of this forum's lasting and indelible charm is the startling quickness with which we jump up to the happy task of taking self-righteous offense and ramming our indignance up the ass of The (perceived) Enemy. Cheers!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4252
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem on this forum is that too few posters have ever taken a Logic class, where they would learn that an Ad Hominem (personal attack) is not part of the debating process at all, but is one of 41 identifiable fallacies (just like red herrings, slippery slopes etc.).

IMHO, I think that a Logic course (with truth tables, as well as debate logic), should be a high school curriculum requirement.

... it also makes computer programming a hell of a lot easier to master...

Burnsie

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok-- Hmmm. In theory, ad hominem attacks are one of 41 identifiable fallacies in the debating process. But in practice, they're often very effective in political campaigns! They're often employed by politicians who then turn around and grandstand against their use. I think the kind of people who tend to make ad hominem attacks, if forced to take a logic course, would keep making the attacks anyway.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize and Livernoisyard: No, nope, nah, hell no. A big part of this forum's lasting and indelible charm is the startling quickness with which we jump up to the happy task of taking self-righteous offense and ramming our indignance up the ass of The (perceived) Enemy. Cheers!!"

Ravine just opened up the issues with society that are immoral and injust. I see where you're coming from though. Yes, if someone feel that their issue is important, go right ahead and debate it to the raw bone. I was speaking of racial, sexual and disrespectful issues on the site though that shouldn't be allowed. Come on, how is that an indelible charm to heave someone offending another person?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, many in politics are lawyers and there's a logic section on the LSAT, so it's entirely possible they learned their attack strategies from taking a logic class, or something similar.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5471
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The quality of posts on this site has greatly declined, and I found myself adding to that reduced quality. It's really getting frustrating. Eventually, if the forum isn't properly moderated, you're going to chase away the ones here that offer significant value to discussions the forum. In fact, it's already happened as can be seen in the downward spiral of quality posts. We have few critical thinkers, on here, and a bunch of immature reactionaries.

I'm really beginning to wonder if this is a characteristic of the greater Metro Detroit reflected in the vast majority that post, here. Because, to tell you the truth, the metro is one of the most negative, nasty, and pessimistic places I've ever personally witnessed. I mean, everything from a funny post about the Joe Louis fist turning into a racial discussion, to people posting entire new threads out of nothing more than spite. It's getting old; it's not funny; it's not cute. All it does is reinforce the stereotype that Metro Detroit will never dig itself out of its cultural/social and economic hole. Discussing things, here, has gone from a fun experience to a complete and perpetually defensive chore.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do agree with Lmichigan on one particular point, that the Forums aren't moderated enough. I don't want to put my membership on the line, but what if The admin. had a system where they appoint several unbiased Forumers to patrol the boards and threads for trolls, spammers, and what not and run through the moderation steps as needed. MAybe then the folks on here would watch what they doand say compared to the system with only two moderators. However, I do have a moderation system that could go into affect, but I'm not going to suggest it due to certain reasons.

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 07, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 07, 2007)

Ravine

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite my somewhat facetious earlier remark, I must agree with L's assertion. While I am a tireless advocate of free speech, I am not really into wanting everyone to "speak their mind," particularly when the whole act is really only about baiting people and waiting to attack them with insults. I have noticed that guys like Jjaba never even bother to participate in that type of thread. Older and wiser, I suppose. Life really is too short to waste on bullshit, although I am, occasionally, guilty of doing so.

Burnsie

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize wrote, "...appoint several unbiased Forumers to patrol the boards..."

I don't think there's such a thing as an unbiased person, even if one sincerely thinks he/she is one. As a wise professor once said, "to breathe is to judge."

Ravine--

Free speech, as guaranteed by our Constitution, only means that you can speak or write your mind without the government (federal, state or local) harassing you. It has nothing to do with private restrictions on speech, and I've seen countless people get that confused. I'm not harping on you personally, but since you mentioned it I thought I'd bring up the topic.

The government can't tell Lowell or any poster on this forum what he or she can say on it. But *Lowell* could freely restrict or delete any posts he wants, with or without comment or explanation.

Ravine

Post Number: 888
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie: I know, I know. Actually, though, I wish you would have offered that clarification on the "Funeral For The "N" Word" thread, when some folks were seeming to feel as though their right to Free Speech was being threatened.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that bit of knowledge, Burnsie.

I am one of the countless confused!

LMichigan, I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be kind of normal for discussion groups to peter out after a while because it's the same people talking about the same things? You know, we all know where each other stands on a topic, so if it comes up everyone just rolls their eyes and says, "oh brother, I know what HE's going to say!"

I bet that is what happens. When you hang out with the same people every day you get bored.

I do agree that people hide behind their computers and don't even have to try to be civil. There is a certain 'charge' that some humans get out of offending others.

It's cool, whatever.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9398
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck you. How's that?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4389
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The forum has always been a place of radical ideas, but man these newbies have really shaken it up. By newbie, I mean someone who joined up in 2006 or later.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.