Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Poll: Do you have this font? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was curious whether these characters were visible to everyone here so I created this empirical test.

Do the following two lines look the same to you or do they look different?:

ßßßßßß

test

(Please don't bother looking for minute pixel differences.)

Thank you for your participation! :-)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look the same to me. They all have the same color and are both characters.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first line is a row of esszets like this one ß in every colour of the spectrum. The second is just rectangular (taller than they are wide) blocks of colour, but the colours are the same as those of the esszets.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9130
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only two identical series of six colors, basically arranged in proper rainbow order.

NO characters at all.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I guess there's not much point in continuing this experiment then.

Thanks to you too, Urbanize and Gannon.

Over and out. :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on May 09, 2007)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although both lines look the same, They do not Highlight the same.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4408
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of Ween's Rainbow song.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(wonders if he got IRB approval to run this experiment)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A row of letters up top...

a row of colors on bottom... thats all i see...

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

row of letters
row of colors.

me 2!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting....when I first opened this posting this morning, both rows appeared to be the same small blocks of color. Curiosity got the best of me since people are still posting...now they look different: letters on top, blocks of color on bottom. What changed? I'm logged into the same work computer as this morning.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, your experience is a mystery. Maybe someone uninstalled the font from your computer? Sounds unlikely but I can't think of another reason.

I guess I have some explaining to do.

I found these block characters in a WST_Engl font that I thought might be useful for perhaps artwork or something. I had a feeling that not everyone would have that font though. I used \font{WST_ENGL,ß} to generate the first line then took a screen capture of what I saw and made a small jpeg of it. That jpeg is the second line.

If everyone had that font, no one would have reported a difference between the lines.

I hope no one thought it was something devious.

Thanks again to those who replied. :-)

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew. I thought you were sending messages to the terrorists.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So wait, the blocks are the actual font? What are the esszets then? And what good is a font that's just a bunch of blocks?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blocks just mean that the font is not installed on the viewers computer...

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I see is a gay pride flag.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, thanks for explaining your mind control experiment. If you see just colors, you can't be controlled. If you see letters, you can, and if you see characters, you are...muhahahaha

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.