Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Visiting from California « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hidihoman
Username: Hidihoman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am flying in on the 19th and will have all day to look around on the 20th. I am looking for someone cool to show me around in trade for lunch, coffee etc.

I want to see the old art deco ruins in the city and hopefully some of the old auto factories, train depots and any industrial ruins. Looking for someone who is cool .......If I cannot find that than any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks Jason
tonupboy@rock.com
805 268 4723

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out http://insidedetroit.org

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9174
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I posted this earlier...

Damn, Hidiho, all the people I know might be cool to me...but what is your definition of 'cool'?

Heck, to hear a few of our most fervent critics talk, you wouldn't even want to meet Harmony...probably your best source overall for a good tour. Go to www.insidedetroit.org for contact information, or just wait until she pops up here!

I love her beyond words, and cannot fathom anyone else that might fit your request better. Maybe RSA, with his knowledge of the local architecture, or Lowell himself.

Laughing now that I cannot get that slice of 'Almost Famous' out of my head, where our hero talks to HIS hero during a late-night emergency call. I can hear Philip Seymour Hoffman now..."They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool."

Although the rest of the quote gets even better...

quote:

"That's because we are uncool! And while women will always be a problem for guys like us, most of the great art in the world is about that very problem. Good-looking people have no spine! Their art never lasts! They get the girls, but we're smarter."

The 20th is a Sunday, the ONLY cool place to breakfast used to be Honest Johns, and they are still up there...but now Butcher's in Eastern Market is open Sundays...although by two in the afternoon last week they oddly forgot some of us consider that meal on Sunday breakfast.

But the ONLY cool place to grab lunch will be Eph McNally's new location on Woodward a half-block south of Campus Martius!

Cheers.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I want to see the old art deco ruins in the city and hopefully some of the old auto factories, train depots and any industrial ruins

Don't you want to see anything that is not a ruin? We have many restored buildings too you know.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.